OCR01541 - EarthBound "Brainshock"

djpretzel

This has got some major flow. It could use a bit more foreground, but I'll be adding that myself with my brand new DGX-220 Yamaha Keyboard that I'm too excited to finally own.

But enough about me. This mix lays down an awesome and fluxuating beat that weaves a psychedelic yet traceable course through the original song. Very Earthbound, and very good.

Really wasn't my thing. It wasn't bad.. but a little too abrupt for me. I had more difficulty finding the musical relevance to actual game's music than other Earthbound remixes that have been made and that was a bit of a set-back for me.

Overall though, it wasn't bad, just not my taste.

The song begins with an ambient feel, repeating it and slowly gaining momentum, so that finally by the 00:41 mark, you have nice drums synths added into the mix. Then the Ambient feel takes a first seat, only for harder sounds to arrive around 1:15. The music becomes more isolated at 1:31, and this is where I would easily say the song is at its best. But right after that, 1:50, a smooth, calming piano sound takes your brain for a ride. This piano lasts throughout a large portion of the song. The song slows down once again at 2:40, only to pick up similarly to how it began. This Remix is simple and fun to listen to. At 3:08, the music slows and allows you to listen to it as if nothing happened if you have it on a loop. The song begins smoothly, and such is how it ends. Be sure to check out aluminum's first ReMix in over two years, here, at OverClocked ReMix. It truly is a gem.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to go to bed, but after hearing this remix, it would have been morally wrong for me to remain silent and not comment.

With that said...fantastic track! This was a great source track too, but the creativity that went into the remix is something that must be recognized, IMO. I absolutely loved it! Fun beat, great dramatic effects, great balanced use of electronic sounds, never boring, good stuff! Absolutely iPod-worthy.

Okay, now I can sleep. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is a great example of great sound selection really improving an already good track.

Very interesting how this one works. Melodically, it is incredibly sparse, but it seems to be full enough to never feel thin. The beats are great, and and pads + strings and brass are a great combination.

Overall this is a great way to handle a more atmospheric track. Nice splashes of melody throughout, and a great build.

Great work. :-)

• 1 year later...

This plays with the textures a lot. Not so much as to cross a line and be annoying to listen to, but more than enough as to make the listener entertainingly dizzy. The listener really gets taken for a ride on this one. This just a fun mix, a whole lot of things are going on.

• 4 months later...

I heard this source for the first time a few days ago actually. It was love at first listen. I actually forgot the monkey but I absolutely hated going back to get him mostly because this song stops playing.

Color me surprised when I find a remix on this song! And by one of my favorite remixers.

This has that aluminum feel to it. My only gripe is with a few of the samples, but it really doesn't bring the mix down that much.

• 8 years later...

Absolutely incredible track that defies any classification :) Pretty interesting intro with that ambience that slowly drags you in, which suddenly turns into hip-hop with a touch of Middle-Eastern vibe, and it also turns into something else, and this chain of transformations doesn't even stop until this track ends! The part @1:31 is really different from the rest of the track, but ironically this is what I consider the highlight of this tune. Especially digging how the brass, EP and somewhat industrial-ish percussion work together. Very good job!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01541 - EarthBound "Brainshock"