OCR00636 - Diablo "Tristram Rock"

orkybash

• 1 year later...

Not having played either Diablo, the original was unfamiliar to me - but this mix is worth listening to. It's not the apex of mp's achievement, but it's a good song. Unfortunately, it's only 1:39, so it's not exactly a lengthy track by any means. The instruments used are nice, the arrangement is good, but there's nothing in particular that stands out and the whole thing feels like it's missing a little something, that extra "Oomph" that makes a good remix a great remix. The ending in particular is disappointing, because you feel like there's a great transition on its way and then the song just ends. Still, a good mix, just not a great one. Don't let this discourage you from getting more mp tracks, though - this is one of his shortest and weakest mixes, and that's saying a little something.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

More like an OCappetizer than an actual mix, this has a great mood but doesn't have any time to really go anywhere. The drums seemed somewhat bland, but it was more than made up for by the interesting guitar rhthyms and the moody oboe melody.

Unfortunately, this is a remix that keeps you wanting more, and no matter how many times you replay it in a row, it just doesn't feel like an entire song.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Got a strong intro-track-to-a-rock-album vibe from this. Which I guess is an artform in itself, but when it intros into nothing... it's pretty crushing.

I think it's a great track while it lasts. Samples are old, but stable. It sounds very Diablo but also incorporates a modern streak. It's a well-rounded, solid idea. But it never really becomes more than just an idea. It's a shame this can't shake that feeling that it is more like a producttion pitch for a larger mix that never came to be.

Enjoyable, albeit not entirely satisfying.

• 1 year later...

Kind of a strange track to make a short arrangement for - a 5 minute source and less than 2 minutes of a remix. But it's mp, so all is forgiven. :)

The atmosphere tends to portray Tristram in this livelier light in comparison to the source material, and I commend you on the drum and guitar writing here; for one of those elder tracks, there's actually a clear tone sensed from the acoustic strings. Even the other components, while aged not quite as gracefully, managed to be mixed in well to give the track some clarity for its time.

But I'm with everyone else here in that it basically feels too short for what it is which is especially considering the way the source material is structured; I'm usually fine with it on these elder tracks, but for something that was requiring more ideas to keep focused with, it may be a struggle to really appreciate for a long time.

Fans of the game should still see some enjoyment out of it; short and sweet. Though I know that even back then Matt had the capability to do stronger works, it's still worth looking into if you can tolerate its obvious shortcomings.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00636 - Diablo "Tristram Rock"