OCR04360 - *YES* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team "Cowboy" *RESUB*

Chimpazilla

previous decision

remixer:  ad.mixx
name:  Aaron Corbitt

game:  Pokemon Mystery Dungeon:  Red Rescue Team
source tune:  Sky Tower Summit
name of arrangement:  Cowboy

Chimpazilla comments:  I fell in love with this mix when I first heard it, and the lyrics really spoke to me.  But I had to agree with my fellow judges that the low end had no punch and was too quiet.  I asked that Aaron address the issues and send it right back.  He made some changes and reached out to me for a listen.  I felt it still wasn't mastered well enough for the quality of the track.  We got to talking, and Aaron asked me if I'd be willing to final mix and master it, which is something I love to do.  He sent me a zip of stems and I did my magic tricks.  We both think it sounds excellent now!  Submitted for your approval.  And Aaron and I are discussing some collabs too!

ad.mixx comments: From my side, this came together fairly quickly. About two weeks as compared to months it's taken me on some songs. Mystery dungeon has great music, and as soon as I heard this song I knew I had to make it into a beat. The composition is note for note mystery dungeon, but I added some soft spoken vocals onto it to give it more edge. The source is dramatic and tense, and I wanted to keep that same kind of energy while changing the style entirely. I believe it succeeds on that front, and hopefully the vocals are catchy enough to keep people bopping their heads.  Awhile after finishing the arrangement, Chimpazilla offered to do some mixing and mastering on the song, and it absolutely shattered my world what she did with it. I liked the song, but she came and absolutely brought out every single element to make it pop. I'd say this would have been a pretty mediocre post if she hadn't come along so thank you to her so much. I think you all will enjoy the final product.

Full lyrics are in previous decision link.

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2022/04/16 - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team "Cowboy" - RESUB
  • Chimpazilla pinned this topic
  • Chimpazilla changed the title to 2022/04/16 - (1Y) Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team "Cowboy" - RESUB
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/04/16 - (2Y) Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team "Cowboy" - RESUB
2 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

🤨 Not sure how I feel about you voting on a mix you mastered, Kris... 

Aw STAHP it haha!  I would have YESsed the track originally if the low end hadn't been so borked.  I didn't change anything about the track or collab in any way, I just put it through my normal final mix/master processes and it meets my production bar now, and it would do so sounding like this even if someone else had done it!  So I think my YES vote counts.  (If anyone disagrees, then fine, let it get five YES votes before passing!)

It's sounding great! The soundscape is still very minimalist from an arrangement standpoint, but the mastering gives a lot more punch to the elements that are there, especially in the low frequencies. The vocal processing throughout the track is really fascinating, it reminds me a little of Porter Robinson at certain points. I found myself wanting this to arrangement really let loose and fly off the handle during the final chorus, but it's packing plenty of punch as it is.

Great job on the resub!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2022/04/16 - (3Y) Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team "Cowboy" - RESUB

Love the vocal processing, especially the higher register stuff. Some of the recording is getting into ASMR-territory though - the word "luck" particularly sounds like you're about to lick my ear! A little too close for comfort there. The soundscape is well-crafted, and the beat is crisp and tight. I didn't hear the original, but it sounds like Kris has done a superb job with the mastering. No complaints there at all!

Arrangement is pretty straightforward, I think in a perfect world I'd have liked a solo (I bloody love a solo), but there's a break/bridge from 1:59-2:21 in between a couple of choruses, and nothing feels repetitive.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2022/04/16) *YES - TAG* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team "Cowboy" - RESUB
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04360 - *YES* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team "Cowboy" *RESUB*
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic
  • Liontamer locked this topic