Free Music

OverCoat

Hooray, troupe!

Date Release Id File info Artist Title 16/01/07 mtk.mp3.178 [5 tracks, 19 minutes, 27.1mb] Troupe

'It's Really Pretty Simple After All'

mtk179s.jpg

Message>> A long, long time in the making, U.S. artist Troupe presents his first EP for Monotonik, 'It's Really Pretty Simple After All', a plain spectacular mix of demo-scene inspired electronica, soaring melodies, and beautiful vocals.

Imagine, if you will, an American who has grown up and been musically influenced by the greats of the Amiga demo-scene - which this label itself was birthed from in 1996. Then mix in transcendent vocals reminiscent of favorite Monotonik releases like Bliss, and you get to.... a great place. You may know Troupe from his early EP for Backtrack, or, indeed, from his recent guest vocal appearance on the Seathasky release for Monotonik, but this 5-track EP from the teenager showcases why it makes perfect sense that he release with us.

So, what do we have? 'It's Complicated' has a multi-layered synth start, before blasting in to a ridiculously lush melodic vocal bridge. Then we get to the even more demo-scene or even oddly jazz-influenced tracks, like 'The Way Things Would Have Been', with super syncopated lead lines hissing in and out of view like snakes of melodic justice.

Perhaps the highlight is 'At Least We Have Friends', which is as close to a pop song as we've ever released here, in the best way, but then 'Not Much Else' blasts beautiful electro-pop to amazing effect, and the EP's title track is drifting on layers of sound, and... I know Monotonik is all over the place stylistically of late, but you see the thread, right, listeners? I know I do. And this right here is the golden one.

Download Troupe's 'It's Really Pretty Simple After All' from: 1. "It's Complicated" - (d/l archive.org support.nl scene.org)

2. "The Way Things Would Have Been Another Time" - (d/l archive.org support.nl scene.org)

3. "At Least We Have Friends" - (d/l archive.org support.nl scene.org)

4. "Not Much Else" - (d/l archive.org support.nl scene.org)

5. "It's Really Pretty Simple After All" - (d/l archive.org support.nl scene.org)

..or download the entire release [.ZIP link], stream, or review the track at its Internet Archive release page.

Also, Simon sees all! Maybe he looked at a referrals log or something :D:

http://www.mono211.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1170021194

m0d, the man currently running the mod archive (free music abounds there, too), is also known as RedHeat Sonic Soundscapes. His music on his mainsite, www.sonicsoundscapes.com, is excellent, but he has also been tinkering with Abyss' Highest Experience on his Amiga 1200, and has released quite a few tunes on http://m0d.untergrund.net/

also, he has a myspace if you're interested.... www.myspace.com/sonicsoundscapes

zoo.jpg

#203a-203j workbench / zoo [stream]

making a welcome addition to the kahvi collection, we have another release from the highly acclaimed di.fm regular - workbench. a nine track release, easy with the listening and high with the production quality. instrumental throughout, involved and subtle melodies make up this great release. highly recommended: de la terre a la cime for twenty minutes of the coolest ambient chill. All tracks Copyright © 2006 S. Marchal and P. & C. Sabam Belgium.

leave feedback

download album art download whole ep as mp3 (.zip)

sunflower [stream]

crocodile tears [stream]

zoo (dawn) [stream]

particles [stream]

zoo (dusk) [stream]

serpents [stream]

de la terre a la cime (part I & II) [stream]

paperfrog [stream]

epilogue I [stream]

As I mentioned before, I loved Workbench's last Kahvi release, and I'm glad Kahvi started releasing in .mp3 so I can put their stuff on my mp3 player :)

I think this is the most comments I've seen on any release posted at archive.org even though it is a 2003 release. Good stuff, certainly worth the download.

Also note that the link to the compressed file is not correct. This is the correct one: http://www.archive.org/compress/mia049

wow I've had this for a long time ( ゚ ヮ゚) has a very hip-hop vibe to it, I love the stuff he sampled. I looked online for more of his material but I didn't find any. I did see you can get that EP on vinyl though (・∀・)

big_hits.jpg

#204a-204e mystified / big hits [stream]

a guest release this time, from mystified. similar in style to #203, the high quality theme continues but this time with a slightly darker edge. clouds command has that subtle detail that those familiar with arovane/boards will recognise where still waiting remastered sounds a lot like mr budha building (previously featured on kahvi). definately an ep to keep coming back to - each new listen bringing out more slight details you missed the previous listen. this ep could be classed one of those that 'defines' the kahvi sound.

leave feedback

clouds command [stream]

silver gates [stream]

light there was [stream]

still waiting remastered [stream]

secret journey [stream]

Never heard of Mystified before, so I don't know what to expect. Also, new Piston Source release! YAY

http://pistonsource.iiichan.net/

apologies.jpg

#205a-205g mosaik / apologies [stream]

I`m not entirely sure what mosaik is apologising for. The ep is a work of art, in the usual (radix) mosaik style. following on from his first ep release on kahvi, apologies features those good, solid beats, subtle nuances and influences and just plain great listening like we're used to. anybody who is familiar with mosaik and his previous lives will see this ep as a continuation of his style evolving. a strong ep, some excellent works and one that I`ll be putting on my permanent playlist for sure.

leave feedback

noa lake [stream]

cumulus [stream]

pillow dance [stream]

fish curves [stream]

cloves [stream]

locus fruit [stream]

winternumb [stream]

Mosaik, formerly known as Radix, though under his Mosaik name makes different material than [excellent] chip pop. This stuff, at least his last kahvi release, is light, airy, and sometimes playful.

http://www.zreomusic.com

No, that URL isn't a typo. This is, well...

What is ZREO?

ZREO stands for Zelda Reorchestrated. It is our goal to transcribe the musical masterpieces that you have heard in the greatest video game series ever created: The Legend of Zelda! Our goal is to give each and every song from The Legend of Zelda series a realistic and atmospheric sound with the quality that you would expect from such film composers as John Williams, Howard Shore, and James Horner.

Chaz says it's "pretty good" so I'll take his word for it. Also, I see Kanjika under the staff page, but I don't recognize any other names.

edit: I found a cumshot almost immediately in the zelda 2 track. Too bad that flute noise is so grating

I am new to this but I was browsing Myspace and came across these guys, which I find are awesome.. and I've never heard this kind of music before.. but anyway, does anyone like this music? This is nothing like I would normally listen to, but in a strange way, I love it.

Here's the site:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=1861701

And yes, I have heard of Amanamamniricurmguchi before. Good stuff

http://www.zreomusic.com

No, that URL isn't a typo. This is, well...

Chaz says it's "pretty good" so I'll take his word for it. Also, I see Kanjika under the staff page, but I don't recognize any other names.

edit: I found a cumshot almost immediately in the zelda 2 track. Too bad that flute noise is so grating

I was actually going to make a thread about ZREO awhile back when it opened on Christmas... I never got the motivation to do it though. It's ok stuff. Some sounds pretty good while other stuff sounds, well, like you said... grating. :(

Anyways, this thread owns.

New kahvi!

insecure.jpg

#206a-206e atmogat / insecure filter [stream]

another release, another guest artist. atmogat is an artist you may have come across before - those of you familiar with the netlabel scene especially. nice qualities and techniques are apparent throughout this ep, a five track exploration of industrial edges and ambient sounds. verging on the harder edge of the idm spectrum, atmogat creates deeper themes within his tracks, with added chords and that slight sentimental edge that we at kahvi adore. a nice premier for atmogat - enjoy!

leave feedback

feelings inside [stream]

rain ii [stream]

face the consequence [stream]

iai-do [stream]

trickform - human bytes fountain (atmogat remix) [stream]

New kahvi!

Hmm, I haven't really checked out this thread and just decided to take a glance. I haven't heard of this artist, but what caught my attention was the track called "iai do." Seeing as how in aikido we've studied a little iai, I'm intrigued by the name. I'm not sure what to really expect, but I'll be interesting in hearing it once I get off work today.

Btw, Overcoat since you too are a resident Seattlite, curious if you've heard/heard of Maktub? If not, they have a couple free acoustic versions on their site that give you a small sample. As much as I like the acoustic versions, I definitely like the album versions better (and hearing live is SOOOO much better still [as always, but they just have so much better energy on stage]). Dunno whether it's your groove or not, but I had the priviledge of seeing them live twice and gotta say both times were a blast.

I don't know a makdub, but I do know a maktone :3

I'm not really in touch with my local music, though I'm sure there are plenty of talented people around here. This Makdub guy has a nice voice.

I see their songs was recorded on KEXP. Pretty much the only decent radio station... anywhere :/ I love the stuff they usually play.

I don't know a maktub, but I do know a maktone :3

I'm not really in touch with my local music, though I'm sure there are plenty of talented people around here. This Maktub guy has a nice voice.

I see their songs was recorded on KEXP. Pretty much the only decent radio station... anywhere :/ I love the stuff they usually play.

Yeah, he's got a good vocal range. It's really unfortunate that they decided to go with only putting those 2 acoustic songs on the site though, since the group as a whole is very talented and you don't get to hear what they all can do on those cuts (totally different energy too). They used to showcase a few full album-version songs on there but I guess when they switched labels they changed their site content as well.

It's definitely tough to keep up with local stuff, since there's so much and it's so diverse (and there is a lot of crap out there too, and not enough good ways to sort through what's worth it and what's not), especially in our area I think...just one of those things I'd wanna get into if I had the time.

Anyway, I think this weekend I'll take my time perusing what's been posted here...more good music is always welcome as far as I'm concerned 8).

Ten pages and still no DJ Doboy?

Nobody does extended vocal mixes as good as Doboy. No one I've ever heard. This is as close as you can get to a live rave DJ. His mixes are all around 70-80 minutes long, in mp3 format. Sometimes they're themed around heartbreak, sometimes about friendship or elation. There are times when I just want to curl up in a warm breeze and others where I just can't seem to pound it loud enough.

I've gotten chills.

I have so much respect for the man's music that it's al I listen to in my car, ever, unless there's a passenger that can't stand trance.

Do you like trance, or perhaps you just like to dance?

http://djdoboy.com

Navigate to his downloads page from that link. Dude has over 90 (ninety, as in over 90 hours of trance music to choose from) mixes to try out! My personal favorites are as follows, in the order they're listed. These links will simply take you to the "tracklisting" and album cover. There's a separate downloads page with everything on it.

Vocal Edition 4

Vocal Edition 5

Vocal Edition 6

Vocal Edition 7

Vocal Edition 12

Vocal Edition 13

Eurojams 1

Suffice to say that I've been listening to DJ Doboy's stuff since 2003, and he hasn't bored me yet. Honestly, it's hard for me to fathom listening to trance tracks less than 75 minutes long anymore :P

He also has a internet radio station and a forum. All free, of course, but you can send some cash his way via PayPal. Dude deserves it. Also, if you decide that mp3 isn't your format of choice, a simple message or email to him and he'll be more than happy to supply alternate filetype mirrors.

Go!!

Another one, so soon! Actually, this is a mix set! From recent kahvi releases

rhapsody.jpg

#m07 polaski: rhapsody

75 minute mix by polaski, Kahvi's new resident DJ. He went away, took a selection of the releases from 150-200+ and worked his magic. This is the result, a nice, smooth mix with plenty of additional tweaks and special moments. Worth checking.

114, 104, 320 bytes @

download

download cue file

download artwork

You can read through the .cue file to see which songs he mixed:

ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/music/groups/kahvicollective/polaski-rhapsody.cue