What happened to Unmod?

DarkOmenDKA

FOOLS! Do you realize what you have done?? For years what we have called "unmod" has sealed the insanity that has been foretold as the catalyst of abaddon. You have unwittingly released this nameless stupid upon us. Fools, fools, you have dammed us all!

Your missing the point. I could talk about dumb kiddy topics all day. What really show maturity is the fact that people here don't get in lame trivial arguments and end up calling eachother gay.

THAT'S the reason I left GameFaqs. People can't even spell correctly there, let alone keep up fun conversations.

I think the topic I got sick of seeing the most was Twilight Princess, instead of a positive thread, it became the "whine like a baby" about everything "wrong" with the game. I enjoyed the new Zelda, it could have been better in some respects, but I don't give a crap about difficulty or weapons, amount of dungeons, games length, etc.

That thread made me actually stop coming here for a while.

What's wrong with the Kirby thread? It's more of an art topic if you ask me. Why not talk about that stupid Moral Kombat video? And here 20 year olds say "Die stupid Senators! DIE!", yeah, that makes them believe we're mature people...

The difference between class and arrogance is how many people you have fooled into thinking you're better than they are. Anyone who feels a hightened sense of superiority for coming to this board due to Unmod leaving is a complete moron.

Big words don't make Unmod a beautiful place, I'm sorry. UnMod was useless, that's all there is to it. There are plenty of places on the internet for stupidity, so find another one. I didn't ask for the difference between class and arrogance either, kthx.

Big words don't make Unmod a beautiful place, I'm sorry. UnMod was useless, that's all there is to it. There are plenty of places on the internet for stupidity, so find another one. I didn't ask for the difference between class and arrogance either, kthx.

I was showing that there really isn't one. Stop acting like you're above other people. wait...scrap that. Continue to be arrogant. Keep yourself convinced that you stand above others. I'm certain hilarity can come from it.

Some crawled in corners and cried. Some went to .org. Some flooded GenDisc and got banned. Others took shelter in great underground vaults.

And others just waited for something of interest to appear on the front page of Gen Dis that they wanted to post in. Not everyone left ;)

The problem is that a good number of the staff members didn't see the point in UnMod, because they rarely took part in it. For all the projects and "fads" that took place in there, I believe I rarely ever saw a mod's name pop up, or a judge's or an admin's. While some on this site were having fun, others just turned up their noses to it. Few on the staff seemed to want to take part in it, and few seemed to want to see what kept bringing people back to UnMod. So, we had various members of the staff put those taking part in it down, and consider the whole thing not worth checking out. Not many on the staff publicly stood up for UnMod and what went on in it, so a sense of disdain from the staff towards the so-called "UnModders" grew, and that sense was returned. Personally, I don't think half the drama between UnMod and the staff would have existed if they'd just taken part in the place, instead of opting to mock it.

I think the real shame here, is that a lot of fun things took place in UnMod... things that couldn't have been done in Gen Dis. Anyone and everyone could take part in them if they chose to, and since you didn't have to worry about keeping it family friendly, that gave people a lot more freedom to be creative. That's something that a lot of people are going to miss. It was a place to do things that couldn't be done elsewhere on the site, and not have to tone it down. It's true that some abused that concept, but others used it in good ways. I guess now we're learning more about who only saw UnMod for the former part, and not the latter one.

For someone like myself, its disheartening to see a part of this site I've enjoyed for well over four years get brought to end as it did, and to see people on both sides act as they have towards one another.

Your missing the point. I could talk about dumb kiddy topics all day. What really show maturity is the fact that people here don't get in lame trivial arguments and end up calling eachother gay.

THAT'S the reason I left GameFaqs. People can't even spell correctly there, let alone keep up fun conversations.

Last I checked, maturity includes stuff like not acting like a common troll and respect. Lacking in one area of maturity does not justify another lack of maturity.

And others just waited for something of interest to appear on the front page of Gen Dis that they wanted to post in. Not everyone left ;)

The problem is that a good number of the staff members didn't see the point in UnMod, because they rarely took part in it. For all the projects and "fads" that took place in there, I believe I rarely ever saw a mod's name pop up, or a judge's or an admin's. While some on this site were having fun, others just turned up their noses to it. Few on the staff seemed to want to take part in it, and few seemed to want to see what kept bringing people back to UnMod. So, we had various members of the staff put those taking part in it down, and consider the whole thing not worth checking out. Not many on the staff publicly stood up for UnMod and what went on in it, so a sense of disdain from the staff towards the so-called "UnModders" grew, and that sense was returned. Personally, I don't think half the drama between UnMod and the staff would have existed if they'd just taken part in the place, instead of opting to mock it.

I think the real shame here, is that a lot of fun things took place in UnMod... things that couldn't have been done in Gen Dis. Anyone and everyone could take part in them if they chose to, and since you didn't have to worry about keeping it family friendly, that gave people a lot more freedom to be creative. That's something that a lot of people are going to miss. It was a place to do things that couldn't be done elsewhere on the site, and not have to tone it down. It's true that some abused that concept, but others used it in good ways. I guess now we're learning more about who only saw UnMod for the former, and not the latter.

For someone like myself, its disheartening to see a part of this site I've enjoyed for well over four years get brought to end as it did, and to see people on both sides act as they have towards one another.

Amen, Mr Coop.

EDIT: I wish that, although Unmod is gone I still get to see those kickass sigs of yours once in a while around here.

I think the real shame here, is that a lot of fun things took place in UnMod... things that couldn't have been done in Gen Dis. Anyone and everyone could take part in them if they chose to, and since you didn't have to worry about keeping it family friendly, that gave people a lot more freedom to be creative. That's something that a lot of people are going to miss. It was a place to do things that couldn't be done elsewhere on the site, and not have to tone it down. It's true that some abused that concept, but others used it in good ways. I guess now we're learning more about who only saw UnMod for the former part, and not the latter one.

COOP FOR PRESIDENT

Well to be honest, that's what Off Topic was originally about. (I have no idea what it's about now, it seems to have changed a bit since the initial idea.)

We were tossing these ideas around back in late 2005, early 2006. Namely, Gray and I would have long discussions about the aspects of Unmod that were attractive, and those that weren't. I was happy to have an Off Topic forum that would simply cut the crap out (ie: pointless topics where people just post things like "ur mom lolz") quote pyramids, thread breaks. Stuff like that.

Off topic was a place for the topics that actually generated interest in unmod. ie: Consider it a "Best of unmod" forum. Even if that stuff was dirty, or questionable material (think cockbee or boobies thread) that would have a place there. I personally thought that this was a great idea because it took away the unattractive parts of unmod that were keeping a lot of staff members from taking the forum seriously.

I strongly enjoyed visiting unmod daily for those funny threads where everyone was free to participate without limitations, and the lack of the forum hurts me as much as it seems to hurt a lot of people on OCR. I can only hope that when Off Topic does open, it's given the leeway to play out what it was initially intended for.

How can you be off of the topic of general discussion?

Seems like "General Discussion" is even more of a misnomer than "UnModerated." :P

And I wanted to QFT/E The Coop's post, but it's pretty big so I'm gonna just say QFT/E. I've seen the staff talk about the elimination of "undesirables" who come to OCR "just for UnMod" as a rationale for its deletion. They like to pretend that this has no effect on the "upstanding" portion of the community. But what they forget is that there are listeners and ReMixers such as The Coop and I who contribute to the community and also visited UnMod and regularly contributed to and benefited from the forum. True, they won't stop coming to the site in all likelihood, but that doesn't mean the forum had no use or purpose. djp wouldn't evaluate the usefulness of the quicksearch function or RSS feeds by removing them and seeing how many hits he loses. That's just not the way it's done.

But wait, you say we can do all our regular UnMod activities elsewhere? This argument is specious at best. Guess what, guys: every single topic in Gen Disc can also be found in every other Gen Disc forum ever, too. There are, in fact, entire sites dedicated to each of the topics that are considered on topic. But that's completely beside the point. Where else can you discuss these things with OCR members?

And in the end, there's still no excuse for the incompetent way in which this situation was handled. I'm sorry if that sounds extreme, but what djp and the mods did was extreme as well, and I believe they should be held accountable for it.

I agree in that Offtopic should be sort of like unmod - useless stuff (fad threads and the like) since most of the great unmod threads were far better than anything else that you would find in the entire forums. But the announcement by djp makes it sound as just another moderated gendisc, where the topics are off-topic from the ones in gendisc.(which is stupid imo, since the topics on gendisc are mostly offtopic from the site's purpose, that is, remixes. But oh well)