OCR04346 - *YES* Street Fighter 2 "Chun-Li: Lady Dragon"

Emunator

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Street Fighter 2
  • Chun Li: Lady Dragon (Akidna RMX)
  • Name of individual song: Chun Li Theme
  • Tribute to the “First Female Character of Fighting Games” with Street Fighter 2 being my first entry into the fighting game world as I can still remember that day in 1992 at the Gas Station down the road from where I had lived, they had gotten in a Arcade Machine of Street Fighter 2 and this would be the hang out spot for me and the friends on the block and we would find ourself from Sun up til Sun down and even Midnight hours as the Store stay open 24/7. Chun Li theme stuck out like a sore thumb to me as this was the character I found myself play as all the time and at first I though I was a Ryu fan, but was never able to get his move set down at that time and would always find myself using Chun Li to get through the game. I was learn to play Drums and Piano at that time as well and hated playing classic pieces so I find myself covering a lot of video game music to past the time during and this theme song just happen to be the one that I found myself rehearsing more often then not. So here I am 29 years ago from the time that I am writing this to final present my work of this wonderful memory of mine in this cover of Chun Li Stage Theme. 
  • Equipment Used: MPC X, Korg: Triton, Trinity and WaveStation, Emu Orbit 3,Roland: Fantom XR and TR8S, Logic Pro, ReFX: Nexus 3, Fabfilter Plugins, Waves Plugins, Yamaha: HS8 Monitors, Montage 8, Moog Voyager RME Rack, Audio Interface: UAD Apollo x8.

My first complaint is, this mix doesn't sound Japanese enough!!!  😜  I mean I'm just not fully immersed in Japan while hearing this.  I'm not smelling cherry blossoms or anything.  Nope, sorry. 🙃

OK, joking aside, I love this remix!  The production is ace, it sounds delightful floating out of my Presonus speakers.  The arrangement is awesome, great dynamics throughout the piece, great energy management, very clean mixing.  The track is so full of ear candy, fun panning, and it switches up all throughout the track while keeping the source material prominent.  The faster source lead writing in the second half is just dynamite, it fits there just right.  I love the 90s style breakbeat starting at 1:11, and the taiko drumming starting at 1:45.  The breakdown in the middle is utterly dreamy and breaks up the energy perfectly.  You've mixed the low-low-lows of that sub boom perfectly as well, without sacrificing your mastering.  This is a lot of arrangement smashed into a short 3-minute span, but it never feels too-short or too-long.  BRAVO this is just excellent.

YES!!!

• Liontamer changed the title to 2021/11/21 - (1Y) Street Fighter 2 Turbo "Chun-Li: Lady Dragon"

The encoding quality's low at 160kbps, so hopefully we can get a WAV.

Melodically conservative, but the sound palette's initially well personalized, and you get a first taste of some textural changes at :56 that then constantly switch up and provide more personalization. I also appreciated the dropoff at 1:28 hearkening back to the sound design in the intro.

More instrumental variation of the source's classic countermelody would have made the presentation more dynamic; I wouldn't say the piece dragged to the point where it was a close vote, but at points like 1:46 and 2:23, the ideas were getting exhausted despite the good textural additions and subtractions. The "hey" vox was arguably overused, but sounded fine in the big picture, so we'll live.

It's a solid sound and I agree with Chimpa on the production sounding clean and well-mixed; it's rare to hear bass writing that (even when subtle and understated) genuinely cuts through, so nice work there. Let's go!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2021/11/21 - (2Y) Street Fighter 2 Turbo "Chun-Li: Lady Dragon"

Oh, I remember this one from the WIP boards last year! It's worth reading that short thread because Akidna showed a great willingness to take on board my feedback, and has clearly made improvements to the production. Seems to be the ideal way to approach constructive criticism and use it to improve as an artist. Warms my heart!

YES

Edit: I appear to have embarrassed myself here... the YT upload and the sub are the same. It's possible Akidna made the edits based on my feedback and has a revised mix somewhere. Either way, it's over the bar as-is, but those pointers I gave him still stand. Glad he agreed with my critique nonetheless.

Edited by DarkSim
Ehhhhhm

• DarkSim changed the title to 2021/11/21 - (3Y) Street Fighter 2 Turbo "Chun-Li: Lady Dragon"

Nothing revolutionary, but clean and competent.  I'm not the biggest fan of the fake ending at 1:27, but it's far from a dealbreaker.  My one big criticism is that it does get repetitive, mostly because the iconic intro arp rarely lets up, but there's no straight copy-pasta.  I'm not as enthusiastic about this as my colleagues, but I also don't see sufficient reason to send this back.  Nice work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2021/11/21 - *YES* Street Fighter 2 "Chun-Li: Lady Dragon"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04346 - *YES* Street Fighter 2 "Chun-Li: Lady Dragon"
  • Liontamer locked this topic