OCR04364 - *YES* Skies of Arcadia "Valse pour un Prince Rebelle"

Chimpazilla

ReMixer name: Deedubs
Email address:  
User ID#: 30792

Game arranged:  Skies of Arcadia
ReMix name:  Valse pour un Prince Rebelle
Song arranged:  Enrique's Theme

An elegant waltz for an elegant prince. This is my third ReMix contribution to this album project. Perhaps through plain ignorance on my part, "Enrique's Theme" was one of the few tracks from the OST that I completely forgot about. If I remember correctly, it wasn't used much in-game. The more I listened to the tune though, the more I got a feel for its pleasant melodies. In my search for what genre/style I should tackle, I decided to go back to my classical roots and arrange "Enrique's Theme" into an orchestral waltz, because what's more elegant than that? As I translated the melodies from the original 4/4 meter tune into a 3/4 meter waltz (always a fun thing to experiment with), everything felt like it fell into place. As such, I had a lot of fun arranging this and I hope you have a lot of fun listening to it!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that was fantastic. What can I say? I felt like I was sweeping through a ballroom like something in that godawful Bridgerton programme that my wife watches. I definitely don't watch it, honest.

The switch to 3/4 was inspired, and the melody works so easily as a waltz, that it all comes down to execution, and that's been knocked out of the park as well. Great interplay between lead instruments, everything gets a turn to shine, nothing outstays its welcome, and there's a big, bombastic finish. 2:39 onwards is glorious. Most importantly, the piece has a wonderful flow to it which you could easily dance to - surely satisfying the goal of any orchestral waltz. Brilliant stuff!

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/09/04 - (1Y) Skies of Arcadia "Valse pour un Prince Rebelle"

big flourish to start. there's a weird note at 0:04 that sounds like an unsupported extended pitch in the chimes - remember that chimes have a ton of non-fundamental pitches which is what makes them sound like that, and so extended chord tones aren't a great fit for that instrument. I love the soaring trumpet line right after that, however.

it settles down for the first presentation of the melody, with expected flourishes and idiomatic usage of other strings and swells through this section. bold choice going with a bVII at 0:39 as your dominant chord. i also like the echoing of the melody in the strings right after that at about 0:54. great articulation in the flute at 1:08 as well. a fun brass flourish and the next set of melodic content is on its way. picc was a bit bright in this section but i love the idea - maybe just a touch less. 2:10 has several handoffs of the same pitch between the instrument and is a fun touch. the string tune at 2:38 is great, love how lush it sounds. this builds up to a big blow at 2:56. there's some really fun altered and borrowed chords in this section, especially through the brass flourish that heads back to root, and a great fanfare-style ending.

this is superb. excellent work.

YES

Yep, sounds great to me too.  There's something vaguely uncanny about the production---the instruments aren't quite as crisp as they should be for being individually recorded and EQ'ed, but not as resonant as they would be as part of a full ensemble orchestra all performing in the same place at the same time.  I'm nitpicking, though.  Great arrangement.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/09/04 - (3Y) Skies of Arcadia "Valse pour un Prince Rebelle"
  • 1 month later...

The orchestra here is very full and layered in unique and interesting ways.  I do love the switch to 3/4.  Some of the writing, especially lead writing sounds a bit stiff (mostly where strings are playing lead) but overall the instrumental execution is terrific.  The brass sounds especially good to me.  Arrangement stays fresh as it moves along.  Many lovely interpretations of the source theme.  It's a luscious waltz.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04364 - *YES* Skies of Arcadia "Valse pour un Prince Rebelle"
  • Liontamer locked this topic