• Your ReMixer name: ThePlasmas
  • Your real name: Mauricio Castro
  • Your email address:  
  • Your website: https://theplasmasvgm.bandcamp.com
  • Your userid: 30081
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Megaman Zero 4
  • Name of arrangement: Frente en Alto
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Straight Ahead
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site): Ippo Yamada, Gameboy Advance
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: Recorded, mixed and mastered at ABXY home studio, Viña del Mar. Track available on "Z3R0 R3M1X: A MegaMan Zero Tribute Album".
  •  

Edited by prophetik music
Corrected source link

• Liontamer changed the title to 2021/10/06 - Mega Man Zero 4 "Frente en Alto"
  • 4 weeks later...

Surprisingly modest mastering for a metal track - I had to turn my volume up a bit to match my usual listening level.

Let's start with a colour-coded arrangement breakdown (yes! Fancy!). Sections in the same colour are repeated.

1525630878_Screenshot2022-06-16at22_43_37.thumb.png.cdb51decb9e72a37678e6f03bcc57607.png

At-a-glance, you can see that the arrangement is very conservative, and the track contains 40% repetition. The whole section from 0:12-1:24 is just copy-pasted (a proper copy-paste, no variation in anything) immediately afterwards, followed by a run-through of the B section again with doubled lead guitars, and more urgent drum programming fitting of a climactic ending. Source structure is the same (sans intro/outro and final B section, although the intro and outro use the pre-verse heavily).

Performances are great and sound very natural. I'm particularly a fan of the drum programming. I'm not sure if anything was played live, although I'm 100% sure on the copy-paste. The mix is busy, but never crosses the line into pure mud, although it could be cleaner. There are no dynamics to speak of, which is a shame because it starts busy and ends busy, with no respite in the middle. That's the same as the source, which is a point for improvement. I'd like to hear more expansion - a break, a solo - some more original material that stamps your own mark on it.

At the moment, this feels like a cover more than anything. Add to that the repetition, and I'm afraid it's a

NO

• DarkSim changed the title to 2021/10/06 - (1N) Mega Man Zero 4 "Frente en Alto"
  • MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/10/06 - (2N) Mega Man Zero 4 "Frente en Alto"

big initial presentation. the drums have a lot more tone than i'm used to hearing in this style (tom and snare heads sit in the freq of rhythm guitar a lot, which is part of why the mix sounds cluttered). there's also not much above about 3k which is why it sounds very low-mid heavy.

performance sounds great, really. if i'm going to complain about anything in the performance, it's that the lead guitar doesn't really have much in the way of fun on the sustained notes. no squeals, no vibrato, not really any audible effecting, nothing to make the longer sustains more interesting to listen to. this is where filling in riffs would have helped make it less of a cover and more of an arrangement.

as it is, darksim covered it - this is a straight cover with a bucket of copy-pasta throughout. it's a fun track but it doesn't pass the submission standards unfortunately.

NO