OCR04376 - *YES* Final Fantasy 5 "Ancient Waves"

Emunator

This is my arrangement of "Beyond the Deep Blue Sea" from Final Fantasy 5, originally composed by Nobuo Uematsu. This song (the original, and now, especially this remix) is deeply personal for me. It resonates with a lot of memories, and some of the things currently going on in my life. Creating it was a highly emotional experience. Although this was already one of my favourite songs from FF5, it was sort of a commission. This track was nominated and voted for by my patrons on Subscribestar. If you're interested in voting/nominating in the future, you can subscribe to me here: www.subscribestar.com/rebeccaetripp A new song (usually a VGM remix) will be chosen every month.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/01/23 - Final Fantasy 5 "Ancient Waves"
  • 1 month later...

Ooooh, I loved halc's rendition of this theme, so it's great to fire up the source tune again.

Nice vocals to introduce things. From :39-:46, the instrumentation under the melody was thin and in the uncanny valley. Same with the wind lead from :58-1:11. Nice transition to the strings carrying the melody at 1:11, though you need to watch for sloppy releases, fake-sounding sustains, and awkward note changes (e.g. 1:17, 1:21-1:24, 1:32, respectively) that needlessly expose the samples.

Brass from 1:49-2:02 was thin and robotic; same with the brass lead from 2:17-2:25. I still appreciate the constant tradeoffs to keep the presentation fresh.

Per the usual, the production side's OK albeit hampered by some limitations of the samples that Rebecca's seemingly unable to further mitigate or even eliminate, but the arrangement's creative and compensates for the issues. The samples have their drawbacks, but Rebecca provides evolving textures that make up for it.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/01/23 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 5 "Ancient Waves"
  • MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/01/23 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 5 "Ancient Waves"
  • 1 month later...

pretty opening, although the sub-bass water effects (i think?) were very strange and kind of jarring.

there is not a lot of personalization / care taken with articulations throughout. it is a lot of full sustains with no breaks in any instrument, and it does not sound particularly natural. the horn sample at 1:49 is super bad. the tremolos in the string bass around 2:13 are also really bad - there's no resonance from the instrument or natural fade, just an abrupt stop every time they change notes.

the song kind of just ends.

there's a lot of evolving background work, which is nice. i think that overall the ensemble has a nice lush tone with good stereo separation especially in the middle of the track when you've got most of the group playing.

MW put it pretty well. rebecca did rebecca things, and it makes for a flawed but palatable track.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/01/23 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 5 "Ancient Waves"

Another lovely interpretation from Rebecca.  As usual, the track appears to not be mastered; the peak max is -5db at the loudest point, although the track spends most of its time around -9 or -8, which is super quiet.  I do not understand why the mastering critiques we give on each submission are never implemented or even acknowledged.  This remains disappointing.  The articulations are passable, although with consistent feedback from the judges I'm not clear on why no attempts are made to address the very specific issues that appear in each submission (unnatural releases and vibratos, thin/robotic textures).  Larry is right though, the evolving textures an introduction of various instrumentation as the piece moves along keep the arrangement fresh and appealing.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04376 - *YES* Final Fantasy 5 "Ancient Waves"
  • Liontamer locked this topic