*NO* Mega Man 3 "My Sweet Gemini"

Emunator

• 1 month later...

Nice and simple approach.  Great solo bridge, that's some fantastic lead writing there.  I enjoyed this a lot.

However, the writing in other aspects left something to be desired.  The percussion in particular is a real weak point: the samples are really low-quality, and they're on autopilot for the entire arrangement.  They wear out their welcome very quickly, well before the short arrangement is over.  The instrumentation never changes throughout: it's always the same lead (until the change to piano at the end), the same pads, the same sweeps.  Also the pad is occasionally off-key.

Structurally, there's a lot of copypasta going on.  There are some mild changes in pads and sweeps between the various loops of the main Gemini Man theme, but you have to be listening closely for them.  Mostly it sounds like a brief, lo-fi intro, two loops of the same thing, the bridge, another loop of the same thing, and finally another loop played by piano that's otherwise identical.

This is a great start, and you clearly know how to write melody.  Now you just need to work on varying things up to keep them fresh across repetitions.

NO (resubmit)

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/02/17 - (1N) Mega Man 3 "My Sweet Gemini"

Megaman 3, can't say I ever tire of remixes from there. There are some solid arrangement ideas in this one, with some nice subtractive ideas to the melody to give it a nice bounce from time to time (like at 2:07), and some overall good harmony ideas. The solo flowed pretty well, and added some nice spice to the track right when it needed it.

The instrument quality isn't bad (vanilla, but not bad), but their use throughout the track grows stale over the whole track. The same pads do the same thing throughout the track, and the lead is pretty much the same until the very end (when they drop out in favor of bringing that piano). I can skip around the whole track and lose track of where in the song I am since there really is little sonic variance to the track.

The pads, while cool, are also muddy - probably too may notes in the harmonies that crowds the space, if I had to make a guess, and the attached reverb being too wet doesn't help. Gotta clean up them pads, since right now it's more like soup backing up the rest of the track. Mixing-wise the leads pop out a bit too much, as well; they should be blended into the mixing balance better, once those pads are fixed, too.

Plenty to like, here, but overall the static arrangement and mixing issues are holding this one back. Clean those items up and this could be a fun little track to post.

NO

• Gario changed the title to 2022/02/17 - (2N) Mega Man 3 "My Sweet Gemini"
  • 2 weeks later...

Gonna have to agree with my fellow judges on their comments.  The idea for this track is solid, but the lack of variation in sounds is problematic.  The 8-bit drums never change other than a few dropouts in the final section.  8-bit is cool but doesn't really compliment the piano and lead sounds you've used, so the drums sound weak and sizzly in the mix.  I think it would be a fun idea to extend the intro, maybe with more 8-bit sounds, leading to the drop, but then at the drop replace the drums with something more substantial, and vary the writing a bit, perhaps with a few fills. The pads don't bother me all that much, but the pad feels like it's barely there, like a whisper.  Perhaps additional padding here and there could add interest to the mix, something with more texture or movement, or additional backing elements and/or ear candy.  As for lead writing, it is very close to the source much of the time, and there are two sections that repeat verbatim.  The writing variations you have done are great, but since the entire track has the same lead sound, the writing feels stale by the end.   By the time the piano lead shows up, the track is just about over.  The ending is super abrupt and the reverb tail is cut off before it finishes.  What is here sounds good but has some structural defects to be worked on before it can pass.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2022/02/17 - (3N) Mega Man 3 "My Sweet Gemini"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Mega Man 3 "My Sweet Gemini"