PRC448 - Fire in Overworld (Breath Of Fire 1)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 448
PRCv19-10

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

In PRC446 it was Hleet who got the win. He picked the source for this round.

On 5/31/2022 at 7:37 AM, HLEET said:

Hello Bundeslang, 

(I don't know if you received my other message from last friday. But just in case I'll send you with a new message/subject)

To keep-up with the Breath of Fire series :) here is the choice of my source : 

Console/System   : SNES
Game Name        : Breath of fire 1
Source/Song name : Overworld 2, Distant View

You will find the midi file attached to this message.
I've ripped the midi with the free program vgmtrans (that does a great job by the way).
But I do have put together tracks manually (Drum, strings, ...) and have them sanitized from pan/reverb and other stuff that the extractor has put by default on them.
So it should provide a good start for remixers.

If needed, here is a youtube link for the original source :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1vhZ86W7dU

Thank you

Breath of Fire 1 - Distant View (Overworld 2).mid 8.18 kB · 0 downloads

Source: Breath of Fire 1 (SNES) - Overworld 2 - Distant View

https://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/PRC448_Breath of Fire 1 - Distant View (Overworld 2).mid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breath_of_Fire_(video_game)

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC448

The deadline is Wednesday June 15th 2022 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the link https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC448 for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread.

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC450.

Hleet can enter with a bonus song and has a double vote.

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC Home Page

Edited by Bundeslang

Damnit all this good breath of fire and megaman X stuff happening and im missing out.  Well maybe not this time, will see if i can do something!

EDIT 2

Chose to retract a statement, as I don't want to raise people's expectations and over-promise on things that I probably won't have the energy to see through to completion.  Might hop in for this round though.  We'll see. 

Edited by HoboKa

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has 3 songs and a bonus by Hleet. The following people compete against each other:

Souperion

HoboKa

AxLR

To vote, do the following:

Visit Breath of Fire 1 - Overworld 2 (PRC448) | Compoverse (thasauce.net) and listen to all the entries

Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

Fill in the entries from first to third in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 3.

State a reasoning for it.

Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. They get a 3 point bonus, but they are not allowed to vote for their own track. They only need to fill in their top two (and can use the third spot to select the bonus mix). 

Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results.

Hleet has a vote that counts twice.

You have until Monday June 20th 2022 10:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 3 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ## Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

3: (remixer C )

(reasoning)

Sorry i missed this round, i was away for 5 days on vacation, so i ended up getting caught up on a lot of things. Plus as well, i was struggling to come up with something for this, it was actually more difficult than i thought. It's a lovely source, but it's not an easy one to remix. That as well as me being busy. Glad you guys had fun, now that i'm here, i'll try and throw something in for the next round. The voting box seems to be closed, so i'll post a few words here. None of the entries really go over 3 minutes, so this one will be pretty dam short. Oh well.

Souperion - I'm worried it's gonna be a lot of Breath of Fire lol. We've already had 2, and this might not be the last. Oh well, it's a good game with a good soundtrack, so there's nothing wrong there. This has all the makings of your classic orchestral sound. The intense string and brass work, mixed with the electric guitar sounds. The melody work is strong here, i love how you've added all the instruments into perfect harmony, it sounds like a great HD rendition of the source. There is a lot of intensity in this one, which is good and bad. I don't know about everyone else, but i find it weirdly hollow. Like there seems to be a lot of loud brass notes, and quiet string work. I don't know if this is intentional, but i definately feel the mix could do with a slight bit of polish. Also some of the arpeggios are very unnatural, and mechanical. It sounds like it was meant for a synth, not an acoustic instrument. However though despite that, the idea was pretty awesome, and i can definately understand why you was chosen to be the potential winner (Assuming what's on ThaSauce is correct. I've just gotten here). It's a lovely arrangement, and a ton of fun, well done!

AxLR - Welcome back dude! Been missing your techno jams. Really loving how you've transcribed the melodies into some tight synths and mallets, really adds that whole tight funkiness to the whole thing. Bassline and drum work is a little overpowering for this, and the melodies are very hidden. I'd add something more louder to amplify the melodies, and make the bassline not so rattling in my ears. The idea is awesome though, and while short, it was super creative, and gave me some inspiration for some ideas. Honestly going techno is not actually a bad idea, i feel with polish this could be amazing. Already sounds lovely, you did a great job on this, well done!

HoboKa - This one is very short, so i don't know if i'll get some mileage out of it. I mean 1 minute pieces can work amazingly well, but i feel we'd need a little more if i were to get a full listening experience out of it. Also when i listen to short pieces, i have a feeling it becomes more unfinished the shorter we go. The actual arrangement itself is pretty awesome to be honest, it's a very honest and almost accurate orchestration of the piece. Like if there was a remake, this is a great candidate for an official remix, the piano and drum work is really great. There doesn't seem to be much string work in this, or at least the strings are getting pushed down by the drums and piano. If i were to polish it, i'd add some strings and maybe tone down the intensity of the drums. Also i had to replay this like 6 times in order to write down some actual feedback lol. Still though lovely stuff, really did an awesome job on the arrangement, well done!

Hleet - Great brass and string work, there seems to be a lot of consistent themes in each of the remixes here. This is my favourite in regards to the string work, it's very clear and concise, and really lends itself for some super strong melodic writing. I love the brass work here, it really goes super well with the strings. The timpani hits also really adds some weight to the whole thing, it was great. Now if i were to critique it, there is quite a heavy lack of bass parts in this, making it a little too light an airy for the piece. A double bass or cello could work super well. The ending is very abrupt, and feels like the sound just stops, without any anticipation for the ending. A fade out would be good here, to conclude your remix. I'd also consider some general mixing touches here too, it's a little muddled. It's almost like you have the orchestra playing in a straight line, rather than arranged how it would normally would. So what i mean by that is, traditionally we have the percussion in the back, the strings and woodwinds in the front, and brass somewhere in the middle. In your remix, they seem to be in the same spot throughout, which makes for a more stiffer orchestra. Still though, i love the string work in this one, very clear, and probably the best part about the whole thing. Well done!

Again, hopefully i can make it to the next round!

It's results time

Hleet entered a bonus song.

HoboKa got 9 points and gets the last place wooden spoon.

AxLR just avoided it with 10 points and gets the second place.

And the winner of PRC448 by unanimous decision is Souperion with 15 points.

Souperion, you are the winner. You may pick a source for PRC450. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (29 June 2022), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

https://compo.thasauce.net/votes/index/PRC448 for the votes and comments.

Next round already started:

• Bundeslang changed the title to PRC448 - Fire in Overworld (Breath Of Fire 1)