*NO* Duke Nukem 3D "Stalker V2 [Factory Reset]" *RESUB*

Emunator

Original decision

Game: Duke Nukem 3D

Title: Stalker
Additional Info: Composed by Lee Jackson. 
Original soundtrack link: https://youtu.be/bLphA-MZvXg
Arrangement Name: Stalker V2 [Factory Reset]
Inspiration for my mix: Thank you for reviewing my first submission and I really appreciate the feedback you gave me. 
My goal with this mix and production was to take the original theme song and really attempt a big studio rock hit factory sound with a cinematic movie edge but keeping the same spirit of the original composition in regards to its overall tone. 
I wanted it to have the feeling of more of a band playing together but keeping elements of that computer industrial arpeggiator sound to really drive it. It was arranged mostly on Pro Tools and Ableton Live. We recorded live electric guitars and electric bass. I used mostly hardware synthesizers for this production as well. 

There are some slight additional melodic and rhythmic parts added to bridge some sections together (like a cinematic SFX or additional drum hit - yes). There are additional melodies added but the original main lead from the original is unaltered and remains distinct in this version. Some melodies may be louder or quieter in this mix. 

My Details
Remixer Name: Marc Armitage
Email: 
Userid: 36369
Forum Username: marcchemali

I voted on the original track, but I'll be honest, I only vaguely remember it.

This remix is definitely still repetitive, but there's a progressive aspect to it.  Parts get added and dropped throughout, and it's enough to create a feeling of dynamism.

However, the first half (0:34-1:44) is substantially similar to the second (2:09-3:20).  There are some changed parts, but they're pretty subtle.  That's 1:10 out of a 3:37 arrangement, almost a third.

swear there's a Discord message notification at 1:20 and 2:54.  It gets me every time.

So this isn't bad, but the loop is too much for me.  With some more original part-writing in the second half, I'd be happy to approve this.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/03/01 - (1N) Duke Nukem 3D "Stalker V2 [Factory Reset]"

I haven't heard the original submission, but I like the soundscape here, very grungy dystopian.  The chug guitars and drums sound very good although they are too repetitive; there are very few drum-pattern changeups. The arrangement is very repetitive; the energy level is the same throughout the majority of the track.  At 0:35, what is that sound playing lead?  It is definitely not a lead sound, and probably would work better as a layer or backing element.  If it is a guitar, it has been distorted and fuzzified way too much.  At 0:53 the lead works a little better but still sounds odd to me.  At 1:10 that non-lead sound returns and doesn't work at all.  Generally, the leads in this track are too fuzzy and diffuse to work as leads, so the track sounds essentially leadless, which hurts the arrangement in terms of repetition.  I think what is here could potentially work, if some proper leads were applied to each section, with writing variation and perhaps a solo in one section, but what's here now is just too loopy and repetitive.  Also, the ending is quite abrupt and the final sfx is cut off before it finishes.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2022/03/01 - (2N) Duke Nukem 3D "Stalker V2 [Factory Reset]"

Well, this is a tough one! There's a lot to like here. The sound palette is great - the rythmn guitar in particular sounds chunky and clean, and there's some nice layering of the backing synths too. Nice to hear you using the 5th string on that bass as well, with those low B notes in there!

That synth lead you use at around the 1:20 mark is classic, and it's awesome how you're blending the synth sounds with the stringed instruments. It sounds much more like a lead synth than the one at 0:36, which does sound lacklustre in comparison to the rest of the mix.

The arrangement leaves a lot to be desired, unfortunately. I like how you've tried to mix things up a bit with a break in the middle, and dropping out the percussion for a couple of bars just before the finale, but really there's very little new from the source's A/B/A/B-with-a-little-extra-oomph pattern.

It's ever so nearly there, and I did spend well over an hour deliberating this decision, but I'm afraid I'll have to send this one back for another go. At the moment, it sounds like a great cover, with some quiet lead synths in places where they could afford to be bolder.

More original stuff, more engaging leads, let's have it back!

NO (resubmit)

• DarkSim changed the title to 2022/03/01 - (3N) Duke Nukem 3D "Stalker V2 [Factory Reset]"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Duke Nukem 3D "Stalker V2 [Factory Reset]" *RESUB*