*Your website: http://ddrkirby.com
*Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your
forum profile: 8933

Submission Information
======================
*Name of game(s) arranged: Diddy Kong Racing
*Name of arrangement: Chill Beats to Race To
*Name of individual song(s) arranged: Boss

*Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

This one comes at the behest of Nicolas Daoust, who requested a remix of the Diddy Kong Racing boss challenge music through my Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ddrkirbyisq).

This genre might come a bit out of left-field for those who don't follow my work closely, but I've been dabbling in this sort of lo-fi/chillhop style for the past year or two.  I'll have to once again shoutout One Hour Compos (https://compo.thasauce.net/compos/view/OHC) as that has provided me with the perfect avenue for regular musical experimentation, and allowed me to significantly expand my musical toolkit on multiple occasions.  Almost all of the instrumentation used in this track consists of stuff that I've already tried out before in OHC...practice makes perfect!

For this song in particular I wanted to contrast the high energy of the source track by dialing the tempo way down and enveloping everything in luscious reverb.  It was an interesting challenge finding ways to slot the different melodies into a much slower groove, but I had fun with it, especially with the guzheng solo work (sample library courtesy of Impact Soundworks [https://impactsoundworks.com/product/plectra-series-5-guzheng/]).

Hopefully you all enjoy it as well!

--DDRKirby(ISQ)

I mainly paneled this one due to source usage - it's going to take a bit of diving in to connect the dots on the source but sonically, I like what I'm hearing! This is quite a bit different than anything we've heard from DDRKirby before, but the sequencing is on-point with the acoustic instruments and the soundscape is full of lush texture. Arrangement-wise, this doesn't feel undercooked like we often find with chillhop arrangements, there's plenty of variation going on. The mastering/production is probably a bit loud and aggressive for the genre. Will come back to this one!

Always a treat to hear a submission from DDRKirby (or should it be DKRKirby in this case…), one of the fastest composers I’ve ever met. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if this was done in an hour, even though it’s pretty damn good.

Diddy Kong Racing has one of the most memorable soundtracks, and was a huge part of my childhood. I had absolutely no problem identifying the source, which is present in some form for most of the track. I don’t think timestamping is necessary here for source usage (I’ll come on to repetition later). I’m actually really excited, because the Boss Theme is a standout track from a standout score, and something I’ve always wanted to hear remixed on the site.

The mood is unmistakably lofi right from the off, complete with rainfall sfx and vinyl distortion. When the xylophone melody from the source comes in at 0:15, it’s been translated to the guzheng, which is an excellent choice. There’s some nice interplay between the guzheng and DDRKirby’s signature chip-synth around 30 seconds, before some bells take over. Then there’s even some saxophone, in another nod to the brass orchestral hits in the source. Underneath it all there’s some tasteful bass noodling carrying the groove beautifully.

At 1:29 we’re treated to the best part of the track, where the melody leads into that wonderful guzheng solo. It’s so beautifully sequenced, and full of detail, such as the slight detuning/bending going on at 1:52, that it’s absolutely the highlight for me.

1:58-2:52 is retreading ground already covered before some more nice soloing on the eastern flute. There are some gorgeous trills in there, although the bending of some notes doesn’t sound as natural as it did on the guzheng.

Perhaps disappointingly, the last minute of the track is repeated material again, so from 3:27-4:35 we’re not hearing anything new.

I’ve got no problems with anything in this track other than the repetition, and possibly the arrangement, although they’re 2 sides of the same coin. That last minute could have been cut and I don’t think I would have missed it. Having the outro right after the flute solo I think would have been a better option, both cutting down on repetition, and ending the song on a high after the solo. 2 minutes of repeated material in a 4:30 song is a lot, but given the overall quality of the track, it’s still a pass from me.

YES

• DarkSim changed the title to 2022/03/06 - (1Y) Diddy Kong Racing "Chill Beats to Race To"
  • 1 month later...

I listened to the source track first, and thought how well it would go with DDR Kirby's usual frenetic artisinal chiptunes.  I saw the title of the remix but thought it was a joke or a reference or something.  But nope, it really is chill, to my surprise.

It's certainly a creative interpretation of the source material, but it's all there.  I don't have any issues with production, everything is clear and crisp, not at all too loud IMHO.  It is a little repetitive, but for chillhop that's to be expected.

This hits all the marks.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/03/06 - (2Y) Diddy Kong Racing "Chill Beats to Race To"
  • 4 weeks later...

I hear the source clearly and continuously despite the key change.  Wow, this is a cool beat.  I'm really loving the acoustic elements along with synth timbres, and ethnic strings (is that a Koto) that appears at 1:28.  The dark piano fits perfectly as a backdrop and makes me think of a rainy street at night in a city somewhere (the rain sfx are giving me feelz).  There are so many new instruments introduced as the arrangement moves along, so while the energy stays chill throughout, the overall presentation remains fresh and interesting.  The mix/master is indeed loud but super clean; it never feels or sounds overcompressed and everything is well audible as I would expect from DDRKirby.  Love it.

YES

Edited by Chimpazilla

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2022/03/06 - (3Y) Diddy Kong Racing "Chill Beats to Race To"
  • 4 weeks later...

ddrkirby is one of my favorite remixers on OCR, and this is a great example of why. breadth in his approach, heavily rhythmic and focused as much on the spaces as the notes, overall high level of quality, and a consistent ability to find ways to cram even more detail into the little corners of each track. this track is slammin and i love it.

the pacing of the track really stands out to me. there's a clear refrain that's higher energy than the rest that you want to come back to, and several distinct spaces that are created within the track (the different solo sections, the break at 2:28, the building action into the break at 3:27) that all feel perfectly timed and intentionally placed. the ending doesn't feel out of place or sudden, and it does a good job referencing the beginning of the track without it feeling cliched.

the source material is present throughout and the mastering is big without feeling too loud or crushing specific instruments.

this is a very good remix. excellent work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04392 - *YES* Diddy Kong Racing "Chill Beats to Race To"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04393 - *YES* Diddy Kong Racing "Chill Beats to Race To"