How is Nintendo's recent music action going to affect this site

bungiefan_AK

Long time listener, but not active on the forums before. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/06/youtuber-ends-metroid-prime-music-covers-after-nintendos-lawyers-call

Looks like Nintendo is going after remixes now. Is that going to affect this site? Groups like metroid metal? I'm concerned about still being able to listen, and I bought a humble bundle for music production to try to learn the tools and start contributing here when I think I've got a handle on the tools. Would be limiting a lot of games I like music for if Nintendo cracks down. 

It'd bring out all the OCremix legends of the last 18 years who apparently still lurk all across the site every day but never say anything like the ghosts of internet past that they are. There would be a lot of textual vocal support, but ultimately if some legal wrangling meant Nintendo stuff had to disappear from Ocremix (pretty unlikely, fan work like this is ultra gray area and Nintendo knows who we are), site admin would have to comply and then they go away. Only place after that is archive places and Youtube.

Honestly, it might wake OCR up and get some electricity joltin' back in dem bones for a bit, which would be nice. I doubt there's anything to worry about here, but if it happens, it happens and it's just another thing that dies like everything does eventually.

Good news is you'll still be able to use those music production tools for stuff you'd want to do, though. The amount of music I want to remix now is 50 times what it was when I started out. Broadening of taste and opportunities comes with the territory.

On 6/19/2022 at 5:33 PM, bungiefan_AK said:

Long time listener, but not active on the forums before. 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/06/youtuber-ends-metroid-prime-music-covers-after-nintendos-lawyers-call

Looks like Nintendo is going after remixes now. Is that going to affect this site? Groups like metroid metal? I'm concerned about still being able to listen, and I bought a humble bundle for music production to try to learn the tools and start contributing here when I think I've got a handle on the tools. Would be limiting a lot of games I like music for if Nintendo cracks down. 

SynaMax's "remixes" were essentially re-creations of music from Metroid Prime, going as far as using the same hardware as Kenji Yamamoto. AFAIK, he wasn't doing the same type of interpretive, from-scratch arrangements that we do here. That may have factored into Nintendo's decision to contact him specifically. I haven't seen any instance of Nintendo contacting any other artist, so it's hard to agree with "Nintendo is going after remixes now."

There's always the danger of a company like Nintendo coming down hard on fan communities. If Nintendo issues takedowns to us, then we'll have to figure out what to do when that happens. OCR very specifically doesn't allow submissions that sample the original game audio, but that might not mean much to Nintendo's legal team. There's an argument for Fair Use, but that's a legal defense that you present to a judge or jury, not a response you give to a Cease & Desist.

As far as being concerned about being able to listen: once something is posted to the internet, it never truly leaves the internet. There are remixes that have been removed from this site that you can still download at various places. Nintendo has issued C&Ds against things like AM2R (the incredible Metroid 2 fan-remake) and you can absolutely still find those projects without too much effort. If Nintendo wants to play legal whack-a-mole, that's on them.

When it comes to the music you'd like to remix and arrange: do what you want. Remix the hell out of Mario and Metroid and Zelda and Kirby if those are the soundtracks that inspire you. Even if the worst happens and we can't feature them on OCR anymore, that shouldn't stop you from making something.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard other things regarding Nintendo that they are super hard with their copyright but I have a Super Mario World remix that I have on youtube, as well as music streaming platforms as Spotify etc and I have not had any issues and its been up for some years now. First I had the Super Mario World logo on the cover image and that got taken down instantly but the remix was still allowed. (or at least it has been this far)