Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Hey, Gerudo! (Gerudo Valley)

MartinH

https://youtu.be/o_vGCof-kRw

I put considerably more time on the production (EQ, panning, levels, sound balance) than any other so far. I felt I was getting behind in my skills of production so I really tried to fix some crucial issues I've had in the past.

This was one of my greatest hypes in gaming history, I was in the 6th grade and one of my best friends from the 7th grade got this during spring 1999 (it was released in EU in december 1998). We've read a lot about it in video game magazines already and man... I remember it so clearly, when Navi tries to wake you up in that tree house, and then the moment you step outside into the Kokiri forest, it's a timeless, unforgetable memory that holds so many good feelings and excitement.

So one thing I'm mentioning right off the bat is the "Hey!" sound which is an original voice from OoT, and of course it's from our little fairy Navi. I had some laughs experimenting with her voice in different pitches and amounts of reverb/delay, but this sounded the most serious and fit the best into the production in my opinion so...

Speak of production, please give me some feedback on what you think about the EQ, levels, panning and such during this remix. I really want to level up in that aspect, so all feedback and suggestions for improvement is most welcome!

Another sound effect coming straight from the game is the whistle blow you can hear at 1:25 which is originally from a castle guard or a Gerudo guard.

I also hope I managed to catch a bit of nostalgia from the original song, which is always my main purpose with all remixes. 

The main core I used here is pure synthwave, with short breaks of an 80s funk style that always hit my nostalgia trigger
hard. There is plenty of sidechaining, plucking and that classic 80s synthwave bass, and in the middle of it all a moment of classical harmony passing by like a deep blue river in a sunset of the Hyrule kingdom ;)

Nearly every chord in this remix is changed or additionally harmonised, but I think you will recognize it despite that.

Thanks for listening and reading!

/Neon X

• 2 weeks later...