OCR00619 - Final Fantasy III "Winds of Eternity"

orkybash

Final Fantasy III 'Winds of Eternity'

You know, I really can't find much to criticise here. I personally would have put a little vibrato on the sax, but making it sound smooth probably wasn't as much a technical problem than an artistic decision, so I'll leave it alone. Kudos to Avien for producing not only a great mix, but our first from FF3 (and is it just me, or does this mix complete the FF core series, so we have mixes from FF1-10?) Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an excellent arrangement. You've created a version that would appeal to almost everyone IMO. It's synthetic with class and style. The fact that it is a song from the lesser known Final Fantasies is always a plus in my book.

The sax solo is very well done and sounds very clean, especially for a sample/synth/whatever you want to call it. While I did here a little bit of pitch variation, it's still a very well put together mix.

~Trptcox

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was just re-listening to this mix today as I was relaxing. Earlier today I wrote 45 remix reviews at VGMix.com and I was looking to just chill and listen to some old OCR remixes. I had somehow forgotten about this one though. 12 mixes into the list this one came on and I had to stop playing my computer games, look up the artist and review it because this is really good stuff. It has a wonderful feel to it. Now feel is highly important to me. AMIEvil,McVaffe, Israfael and Rimco have all made strong inroads in this arena and now I realize I forgot to look at one of the other artists with strong skills in this field: Avien. I must say this mix is peaceful without ever being melancholy, well mixed, has good source material, features good samples, is imaginative, explores an undererepresented genre and is easy listening without ever lacking impact or imagination. This one is going into my heavy listening playlist.

5 Stars

Per's OCR Star System:

5-One of my favorites.

4- I'll listen to it a fair amount but it lacks that extra "something" to be great.

3- Above average but not enough so to get much playtime in my list.

2- Average

1- Lacking

I generaly don't download music to games I haven't played unless DJP give them a highly recommended, because he's generaly never wrong about a highly recommended. Anyway, bravo for the only FF3j mix on this site. I can tell you right now, it's the best FF3j mix on the site!!! ;P Seriously though, It's really really good. Download it.

• 5 weeks later...

One of my absolute favorite remixes on the site.

I remember playing the first few bits of FF3 and hearing this song..I was just blown away with what Uematsu could do with the NES sound chip. Imagine my delight when I see a remix for the song is here.

This remix sets up a great mood and feeling with the wind sounds, piano, and following beat, then the sax comes out and you just can't help but close your eyes and feel relaxed.

Anyway, GREAT song. Highly recommended.

• 7 months later...

I like it...I like it a lot ^_^

The tempo change from the slow to the faster melody with the drums, that was pulled off pretty good.

I like the samples used (back when VGmix was up, I remember saying this was your friend playing his actual sax)

The synth that plays the background melody (or rather, the first synth you hear...its kinda hard when you dont have the timing in front of you :P) I like what you did with that (Ive played the original and this is amazing)

the wind sounds at the beginning could have been more of your typical westers thing as opposed to the swishing but...hell, thats just nitpicking, ignore it :P

Its pretty good for just putting on and chilling to...most definitley, though I would have preferred better ending (as usual one doesnt immediatley spring to mind, but the one used was kinda 'blah')

• 1 year later...

This mix immediately came to mind when I heard about the news of Avien's passing away. Everyone should put this as the first track of a CD and pop it in every September 10th...or every day, whichever. I was never really fond of the ending because it just keeps repeating the main motif (I have absolutely no idea what motif means) for awhile. But now I can look at it in a severely more symbolic manner.

Easily his best video game remix contributed to the world.

You can tell through his music he just wanted to chill out his whole life...

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A very jazzy mix, it has the sax that automatically makes it jazzy, but also the synth and those beats making this mix little more funky, but with the strings it doesn´t get too funky. The piano in the beginning puts some class into it, resulting in a mix suitable for many different persons.

:cry: Avien is dead, though...

I´m sorry to hear that. Of that I´ve heard now, I can say that he was a good remixer. ( John. 5:28,29)

• 2 years later...
A very jazzy mix, it has the sax that automatically makes it jazzy, but also the synth and those beats making this mix little more funky, but with the strings it doesn´t get too funky. The piano in the beginning puts some class into it, resulting in a mix suitable for many different persons.

I´m sorry to hear that. Of that I´ve heard now, I can say that he was a good remixer. ( John. 5:28,29)

I can never get tired of this music. I'm glad to have download this music. Ty vm. I had to register just to reply to this, heh.

• 4 months later...

The synth arpeggio line that goes throughout this makes it completely catchy, and the serene piano and sfx at the beginning help set an amazingly relaxing mood.

Even the sax sample is good, and I am super picky about that specific instrument! I've been grooving on this track for the good part of the last hour and I could listen all day. Excellent balance of synthetic and not-quite-as-synthetic elements.

Beautiful track. I love it.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00619 - Final Fantasy III "Winds of Eternity"