Hyrule Field from Zelda - Ocarina of Time (prog rock)

markshell

Hey guys!

This one gave me a LOT of work, but it was fun! I went for a Liquid Tension/Dream Theater vibe (minus keyboard stuff), I figured it would sound great since it has all these different sections. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out, hope you like it.

Let me know what you think 😃

Edited by markshell

• 3 weeks later...

Review:

Solid, very clean.  New bass parts work well.  Nice prominent drumming.  

A few minor gripes: 0:46 the ride/hat there is very similar in velocity with each hit, feels mechanical.  Also stands out a lot in the mix, you could just take a little of the brightness away with some EQ on the top end (but not a deal breaker for me).   Double pedal is very clean and love to hear it.

I'd change this to done, but I'd leave that up to you on making any changes with the hats/cymbols.

Nice work.

Edited by Hemophiliac

i personally think the heavy distortion on the guitars and the overall hard rock sound right from pretty much the start don't go all that well with the theme.

my first impulse really is that this level of intensity would work better at a later point in the arrangement, to top it off and raise it to another level. it all sounds quite good, make no mistake, but i think it's too much, too early, for this theme.

i like the dynamic arrangement. it's quite lively. a lot of good stuff here. but i'd really prefer a more gradual buildup as sonic intensity (and distortion) goes, for this theme.

i think 0:17+ could hit really hard somewhere in the 2:00+ area if you prefaced it with an earlier more acoustic, or just less distorted, version.

the 15 sec intro is great, btw. but the field theme in full metal armor right after that.....it's over the top in a way that's thematically jarring, to me.

maybe listen to some Gentle Giant or something for inspiration...to get some additional ideas on how to transmogrify the main theme without fully metallizing it right away.

well, just an idea.

On 7/23/2022 at 5:33 PM, Hemophiliac said:

Review:

Solid, very clean.  New bass parts work well.  Nice prominent drumming.  

A few minor gripes: 0:46 the ride/hat there is very similar in velocity with each hit, feels mechanical.  Also stands out a lot in the mix, you could just take a little of the brightness away with some EQ on the top end (but not a deal breaker for me).   Double pedal is very clean and love to hear it.

I'd change this to done, but I'd leave that up to you on making any changes with the hats/cymbols.

Nice work.

Thanks for the input! Will definitely consider making some changes to the drum sound overall! Glad you liked it

On 7/24/2022 at 10:02 AM, Nase said:

i personally think the heavy distortion on the guitars and the overall hard rock sound right from pretty much the start don't go all that well with the theme.

my first impulse really is that this level of intensity would work better at a later point in the arrangement, to top it off and raise it to another level. it all sounds quite good, make no mistake, but i think it's too much, too early, for this theme.

i like the dynamic arrangement. it's quite lively. a lot of good stuff here. but i'd really prefer a more gradual buildup as sonic intensity (and distortion) goes, for this theme.

i think 0:17+ could hit really hard somewhere in the 2:00+ area if you prefaced it with an earlier more acoustic, or just less distorted, version.

the 15 sec intro is great, btw. but the field theme in full metal armor right after that.....it's over the top in a way that's thematically jarring, to me.

maybe listen to some Gentle Giant or something for inspiration...to get some additional ideas on how to transmogrify the main theme without fully metallizing it right away.

well, just an idea.

Thanks for all the constructive criticism! I completely understand your point of view and respect your opinion 😃

That was exactly what I was going for though, but I'm always thinking of creating different versions for the same theme, so maybe I'll try those points in another version too! Either way, really appreciated!