MnP 134: Earthworm Jim 2 - Anything But Tangerines

TheVideoGamer

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Congratulations to Souperion for winning the last round! As a result, he get's to choose this month's MnP source! Here's what he had to say about his pick: 

""Anything But Tangerines" from Earthworm Jim 2. The franchise is bizarre and the games were challenging with some impressive music for the SNES era. Have at it!- Souperion

GAME: Earthworm Jim 2 (SNES)

SOURCE: Anything But Tangerines

VIDEO: 

Deadline: 30th July @ 1PM

Closing Date: 3rd August @ 1PM

Vote Ends: 10th August 1PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit:

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP134

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

Rules for Picking a Source:

1. All video game sources are limited to the 6th generation of video game consoles and earlier. This was due to community consensus, where people preferred to remix more retro games, than newer games. 6th generation includes: GameCube, Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast. 
  2. I'm now restricting big name franchises (Such as Zelda and Mega-Man) to one source per year. This is to encourage more obscure games, that not many people will know about to be picked. 
  3. Make sure you provide me both a video and a MIDI of the source in question

Note: This is subject to change. Also keep an eye out, if any special rounds come into fruition.

Guidelines:

1. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  2. If you're gonna do a genre change, at least make sure the original aspect of the source is not lost.
  3. Tempo changes are fine, as long as it's not a big change. I'm talking like, going from 80bpm to 140bpm. 
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max), and submitted as a MP3 file.
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry. 
  6. Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded.  It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by TheVideoGamer

16 minutes ago, Wassup Thunder said:

So many strange memories resurfacing of this game, and I love it.

IKR...one of the first games outside of maybe ToeJam and Earl to use Nikalodeon styled random humour in their games.  I think I wound up renting this game way more often than I ever did EWJ1...also I got way farther in it.  Doesn't diminish the good memories I have with EWJ1, mind you 🧐

Edited by HoboKa

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 2 entries this round.
  • There is 1 Bonus entry(s) this round
  • There IS a voter bonus this round!
  • Souperion has a vote worth 2x. 
  • When Voting, if possible, avoid granting 1:1 covers top spot.  MnP requires a bit of remixage after all.  
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please. 
  • Do let me know if you have problems voting, and we can sort something out.
  • Try and not make any comments about each entrant until after voting has concluded. Thanks!
  • Participants may not vote for themselves.  
  • The winner of this round will submit a source for MnP Round 135.

Vote ends 10th August 1PM.  

Vote here: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP134

Results

• In a landslide 1st place with 15 points: TheVideoGamer
  • And the last place hero with points: Hleet
  • The only remaining entry is Souperion’s Bonus, so the remaining positions are inapplicable.

I will send a source pick for Round 135 I hopefully for next week (Roughly the 21st of August).

Congrats to everyone who participated, you peeps did great! 

Comments:

Wow looks like I won by a landslide. I’m sorry Hleet. Now this is going to be a challenge, as I’m vacating for 2 weeks, and MIDI rendering is not really possible on IPhone. So the last resort would be to use a ready made MIDI from VGmusic. Oh well, I’ll assess it in the upcoming days. I actually had a MIDI ready, but I forgot to transfer it from computer to mobile lol. So this is going to be quite the challenge. Anyways enough ramble, congrats everyone!

• 2 weeks later...