OCR04361 - *YES* Hollow Knight "Mystic Mycology" *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision

Ok let's try this again!  
Who'd have thunk that you shouldn't mix on your dopey work headset 🤔 I may or may not have learned some things in the year+ that passed since making this 🤔 🤔 

Luckily I had enough ambient room recording leftover to use as a basis for noise subtraction for the winds - and it was indeed the reverb setting on the glock causing some additional weirdness - so I hope that got rid of enough of the hiss to get this over the finish line.  

Also manually adjusted some volume peaks so I could boost the whole thing up a bit in loudness.

What a playful, innocent interpretation of the theme! The recorders serve to accentuate the childlike qualities, and I like how they've been layered to provide a bit more texture to the sound. Superb instrumentation choices throughout. Those little descending runs on the clarinet at 1:24 and 2:59 put me in mind of "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy", and you've got a glockenspiel in there too as perhaps another nod to that.

I didn't hear the original submission, but everything sounds great to me on the production side. Awesome job!

YES

• DarkSim changed the title to 2022/07/21 - (2Y) Hollow Knight "Mystic Mycology" *RESUB*

This remains an absolute delight to listen to! The instrumentation sounds so organic and full of life, it evokes a feeling of a million little bugs skittering about in a hidden underground society in the most lovely way. I'm loving the contrast between the airy lead melodies and the grounding, percussive mallets and chimes. You described this in your original submission letter as "otherworldly fae-touched" and I don't think I could have said it better myself. 

Now that the hiss is out of the way, there's nothing holding this back. Great work, congratulations! 😊 

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/07/21 - (3Y) Hollow Knight "Mystic Mycology" *RESUB*

original decision:

several db headroom.

marimba is a great starting instrument. the choice of recorders is a great one - very evocative sound. the clarinet is pretty out of tune around the top of the lower octave, when the air column is at its shortest, but you've got a nice singing tone in the upper register. the arrangement is also really fun overall, even with repetitive elements like the mallets and chimes being used so prominently. i thought the ending was fine, certainly not enough to hold it back. i agree that overall i'd have preferred more dynamic shaping to the work, a louder final version, and some pitch fixing in terms of general critiques.

the ambient hiss is certainly notable, but it almost sounds like reverb that's not well-implemented to me, or an aggressive compressor/noise gate setup. if it's ambient hiss, i'd suggest filtering it out with a low-pass filter with the freq set really high. if it's some level of reverb/room sound, i'd suggest removing it entirely and using a different method to generate room sound for those bells and the winds where i heard it. if it's being heavily compressor to normalize the volume of the recording with a hard gate to remove the hiss that results from ambient being boosted, i'd just cut that entirely and find another way to get the volume normalized. in short, it's weird and anything you can do to remove it is a good idea.

i want to know what's the deal with that hiss. if it's mechanical and we can remove it, this is not perfect but fine by me. if it's not removable - that is, it's due to the recording technique - i'd say this isn't there.

NO

updated vote:

it is louder, and the hiss is not audible to me anymore. interesting to know it was indeed mechanical. the clarinet is still a little pitchy but i'm not noticing it as much this time around.

this is a very evocative and interesting concept. i love that it's heavily based in repetition without sounding repetitive. i also really enjoy the live performances. thank you for taking another look! this is a great addition to the community.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/07/21 - *YES - TAG* Hollow Knight "Mystic Mycology" *RESUB*
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04361 - *YES* Hollow Knight "Mystic Mycology" *RESUB*