OCR04406 - *YES* Final Fantasy 10 "Welcome to Pixeland"

Emunator

• Emunator changed the title to 2022/04/06 - Final Fantasy X "Welcome to Pixeland"
  • 4 weeks later...

This is some toe-tapping house-style riffing for sure.  Tons of fun.  Not the chiptune I expected from the title, but I guess it's a reference to your musician name instead.

Production isn't perfect, but it's plenty servicable.  The soundscape is a little thin in the highs and in the mid-lows (it's fine in the subs).

Arrangement-wise, it's a bit odd that there's piano in the breakdown but not in the ending, so it's sort of an awkward half-bookend.  That's more of a stylistic criticism and nothing objective, though.

Good stuff, can't stop listening to it.  Let's share the love.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/04/06 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 10 "Welcome to Pixeland"
  • 2 months later...

one of my favorite originals in gaming. the fifth bar is just so achingly beautiful. i'm curious behind the decision to use this version of this theme as the primary track, though, as i think this matches up better with a few other versions on the soundtrack better than the more emotive title screen version.

lot of verb in that opening, with some fun housey pianos leading the charge. there's a quick transition into (i was about to write toe-tapping but MW already wrote it, great descriptor) upbeat house complete with noisy hornet leads and a great driving 12/8 beat. it's almost too buzzy around 1:20, but it's just on the good side of the line and feels like a great track for an arena or pump-up video.

the break at 1:46 is well-timed, although there's almost too much going on to hear the melodic content. this quickly gets back to the melody, with some soaring faux-brass synths and a nice take on the theme. this repeats a few times and then goes to a quick recap that finishes out. nice choice not to do another recap, don't want to overstay your welcome.

from a mastering perspective, this is not as bright as i'd expect it, nor does it have the heavy, powerful kick i associate with the style. that said, the melody's always there, the kick is present, backing pads aren't too loud or soft, and i can hear countermelodies when i'm supposed to. let's do this.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/04/06 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 10 "Welcome to Pixeland"
  • 1 month later...

For an example of the Eurodance genre, this is pretty much bang on. I'm getting serious Basshunter vibes when that pluck augments the supersaw at 0:50. Instrumentation is well-chosen, and the arrangement is surprisingly good as well, allowing the listener a decent break midway through to recover from those huge synths.

Mixing is good, production is solid, and although the kick could be punchier, it's about the only drawback to an otherwise perfect example of the genre. I've NO'd a couple of your other mixes recently in this style, but you've hit a winning formula here with source choice, arrangement and instrumentation. Nice job!

YES

• DarkSim changed the title to 2022/04/06 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 10 "Welcome to Pixeland"

Nice 3/4 intro, then the source translates quite well to a 4/4 groove.  I love the style here and the production is really good. The sounds used are good and everything is produced clearly.  The kick could definitely use a little more click for it to punch through but it's strong and beefy enough.  The arrangement has some similar sounding sections, especially because that saw lead plays for so much of the arrangement, but there is always at least one unique element playing some little countermelody or variation on the source writing that keeps it fresh.  The breakdown varies the energy of the arrangement just right. I love the backing deep brass near the end.  The end comes off a tad abrupt but not a dealbreaker.  Very fun and enjoyable listen.  On the mastering side, it's a bit loud, and SPAN indicates some clipping, although I don't hear any overcompression artifacts.  I recommend making your final limiter ceiling more like -0.3 or -0.5, rather than 0, because the 0 ceiling can sometimes cause some unwanted clipping.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04406 - *YES* Final Fantasy 10 "Welcome to Pixeland"
  • Liontamer locked this topic