OCR04386 - *YES* Celeste "Black Moonrise (Midnight Mix)"

Liontamer

ReMixer name: BeanJammin
email address: 
userid: 38010

Game: Celeste
Name of Arrangement: Black Moonrise - Midnight Mix
Name of song arranged: Old Site - Black Moonrise Mix
Composer: Ben Prunty (remixed from Resurrections by Lena Raine) 
Original Soundtrack: https://radicaldreamland.bandcamp.com/album/celeste-b-sides

Comments: First project I've worked on since I've found this community that is a proper VGM remix! This track was an ask from a custom mapper in the Celeste community for a campaign they're putting together, and I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Hopefully I did everything right in the submission process here, please let me know if I didn't and how I can fix it!

Closer to a sound design-focused personalization of Ben's version as opposed showcasing lots of melodic & structural variation, but personalization was there, particularly the textures. From 2:19-on, the textures were sounding cluttered, and from 2:03-on the sequencing of the electric guitar synth doubled with the dulcimer (?) both sounded stilted. The end also faded down too quickly. No issue was a dealbreaker, just worth noting and something that prevented this from sounding as cohesive as possible. I appreciated how Keenan's 2:19 section pulled from 6:10 of Lena Raine's original source "Resurrections", but adapted it more for the mood of Ben Prunty's "Old Site (Black Moonrise Mix)"; nice blend and nod to both renditions. It's something where I wish the mood differed more overtly from Ben's version, but when you look a level below the surface, there's substance to the approach.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/05/06 - (1Y) Celeste "Black Moonrise (Midnight Mix)"
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, no concerns regarding this as a standalone piece.  Production is slightly imperfect but fine, and the arrangement is dynamic and engaging.  The one thing that gives me pause is that it's awfully similar to Ben's in aesthetic and instrumentation.  But it is more involved, and as Larry said, the 2:19 section referencing the original track instead of Ben's remix was a cool creative decision.  It doesn't excite me because it is so derivative, but it's very well done for what it is, more than serviceable for the hack, and is fine per our standards.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/05/06 - (2Y) Celeste "Black Moonrise (Midnight Mix)"

as a note, i am evaluating this in comparison to the original, with ben prunty's version as a corollary but not directly involved other than to insure that it's not a rip. compared to the original, this is highly evolved and has a lot of new stuff and new concepts. compared to ben's, it's different enough. i don't know if i'd call it derivative, but this felt similar to me to the alternate versions of tracks from Crypt of the Necrodancer that OCR folks worked on. there's a lot of similarities in the approach and instrumentation, but within that framework, there's a lot of variation. sometimes fences result in a more creative approach since you're working around stuff you wouldn't have thought about before.

i found the synth lead that is prevalent at 1:47 to be grating and lacking in movement, and would have preferred some envelope to mix it up. other than that, i didn't really have quibbles with any of the instrumentation options, and i think it sounds pretty good from a mastering perspective. i like how different several sections feel - the opening, 0:57, and 1:47 all have dramatically different vibes while remaining cohesive.

nice work =D

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/05/06 - (3Y) Celeste "Black Moonrise (Midnight Mix)"

I hear how the instrumentation and vibe are the same as Ben's remixed version, but as Larry pointed out there are nice personalizations.  The arrangement builds to a nice crescendo as more and more elements are added, and the mixing of all the elements works well.  It's an exciting and nicely personalized version of these sources and an enjoyable listen.

@prophetik musicThe Necrodancer remixes needed to retain not only a similar vibe but also the exact structure of Danny's originals because the arrangements needed to accommodate the shopkeeper vocals!  That was an interesting element to work around!  (And so funny to hear the actual shopkeeper vocals playing over your own remix)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04386 - *YES* Celeste "Black Moonrise (Midnight Mix)"
  • prophetik music locked this topic