*NO* Pokémon Gold Version "Rise of the Morning Sun"

Emunator

• 1 month later...

A very creative and well-performed metal arrangement, but there are some notable issues.

It opens with strings with mechanical timing and velocity, sounding very fake.  0:11 introduces a guitar that's hard to hear, mostly buried under those strings and the piano.  The flute at 0:20 has the same problem.  0:30 brings in... I can't quite tell, it sounds like a drum roll?  It's just bass white noise that's eating up a lot of bandwith and frankly doesn't sound good at all.  0:50 has a brief section played by a terribly fake sax, and 0:55 has just given up and uses a synth.  At 1:00, several instruments come in, and the production issues are compounded; the soundscape sounds surprisingly muddy for how few instruments there really are.

1:22 brings in a guitar that sounds 1000% better than any of the other instruments.  It's done a disservice by a drum kit that's overpoweringly loud, though.  This section is much better than the intro, but the synths are still muddy, and the bass doesn't sound right, either; I can't put my finger on why, but it's very thin and doesn't carry the bass end of the spectrum enough.  It's also a little schizophrenic, swapping between different guitars very quickly and often in the middle of a section.

Ending at 3:02, which is 48 seconds of very quiet noodling with a whole lot of reverb and no conclusion.

The guitar work is great, and the overall structure is mostly good except for the strange and disappointing ending.  But the sampled instruments, and more importantly the production throughout the whole thing, aren't up to our standards.  I recommend taking this over to our workshop for some help improving the clarity and realism.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/05/20 - (1N) Pokémon Gold Version "Rise of the Morning Sun"

Super fakey instrumentation, particularly the bowed strings, though the piano sounded blocky as well. Yikes at some off notes at :24 with the strings, though it was brief.

Lots on instrumentation changes throughout to keep the textures and presentation fresh. It wasn't the most cohesive presentation, but this works more than it doesn't in that respect.

I liked the percussion brought in at 1:22; even though the kit sounded sequenced, the writing was spirited and helped make up for the lack of realism of the sounds.

Yeah, this basically kept evolving in the same way, The sampled electric guitar at 2:02 would have been better with some doubling to not sound so fake and exposed.

The transition at 3:02 was way too sudden and should have been a gradual shift; right now, it's just awkward. The percussion brought in around 3:23 wasn't bad but also didn't have synnergy. Just a strange chimera of instruments all the way through. The cymbals abruptly cut out at 3:45 instead of fading to 0; an effect on that to create a purposeful-sounding transition could have been nice there.

This has a ton of character, which helps make up for a lot of obvious shortcomings with the samples here. The mixing's OK, and the quirky textures evolve in a way that never fully clicks, yet doesn't sound completely slapdash.

It's an otherwise strong and dynamic arrangement with loads of promise here, Anthony. For me, the number of lesser issues going on (rigid-sounding sequenced parts, out of tune strings, some VERY abrupt transitions, no fully cohesive texttures) are adding up to me. Regardless, I enjoyed this despite its flaws, but am still feeling I need to hear something/several things tightened up to feel this was solidly above OCR's production quality bar. I'd love to hear some attempt made at addressing everyone's critiques, and hope Nah Tony is willing to say Sure Bro to some revisions. :-)

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/05/20 - (2N) Pokémon Gold Version "Rise of the Morning Sun"
  • 2 weeks later...

intro needs some velocitization on the piano. balance is also all over the place, with the backing parts being much louder than the synth lead and electric guitar. i heard nothing wrong with the strings at 0:24, just a V7/V being used properly. all that said, it's some nice writing that's just executed weird. i like what it's doing, and the concept is neat.

there's a transition to a faster tempo, and we've got a significant difference in instrumentation as it adds a (very loud) punchy set and some more complexity in the guitar leads. the bass sounds about an octave or two too high, just doesn't carry the low end at all. there's some great technical riffs which are fun, and what the drums are playing is fun, but i can't really hear anything else.

then it just suddenly switches to a much slower tempo without any setup. i like what the guitar's doing here, but it's both too quiet and wasn't prepared or foreshadowed at all. there's some verb-only drums brought in a la the end of At Wit's End by Dream Theater and then it's done. this could have been neat if it was set up at all, but it just lends to the piece feeling disjointed.

this has some fun arrangement ideas and just doesn't feel complete. there's a real workshop feel to the middle, where there's nothing but the strange bass, guitar lead, and drums, whereas the intro isn't volumized for the instruments (strings volume doesn't change between the quiet opening and the bigger middle) and the end is disconnected. give this one some more attention and i think you'll have something special.

NO