Falcon Patrol II

Nadin

Congratulations on your first remix and welcome to the forums.

Evaluation:

I want to start out with the arrangement, the original is about 0:17 seconds long before the loop.  You've managed to develop it a little bit using orchestration, which is what the original does passing the melody from different parts.  That's a good way to write for an orchestra.  From 0:08-0:16 the adding of each part brings a nice crescendo to a fuller moment when everything plays together. 1:02-1:10 is a nice interpretation and new material to bring us back around the melody.  1:23-1:33 and 1:46-1:50 more good interpretation and act as good bridges to get to the next part.  1:54-2:00 I like how you trade the melody back and forth between the trumpets and trombone sections.  Having the strings play occasional pizzicato arpeggios is a nice addition that helps fill out the top end some.  The snare part writing is very good and very fitting of the style you're going for here.

The production is where some issues arise. 1:18-1:24 and 2:08-end the lead trumpet has a strange phasing/chorusing effect on it and feels out of place for an orchestral track.  Much of the supporting parts feel buried underneath the much louder leads and need to be balanced up when compared to the lead trumpets.  I know getting realistic samples of real instruments can be difficult, but there are things you can do to help even though they may not be the highest quality samples.  Adding some humanization to where the notes land on the beat as well as varying up the velocities/loudness of the notes will help with that.

This is a great first remix with a lot of potential for even more.  It's not quite ready for submission as is. The arrangement is solid and I found it to be the strongest part of the piece.  Work on the humanization and the realism of the samples and you could be on your way.

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm only 17 years old and I don't have very good VSTs, but I'll try to fix the problems you described. I'm currently in my last year of high school and I have a lot of exams left in both music and general studies, but I hope to do it during one of the school holidays.

• 4 months later...