MnP 136 - Spooktober 2: Electric Boogaloo.

TheVideoGamer

As you may know, October time means it's Halloween! So it's time to do another one of our Halloween special rounds! This time it's gonna be different from last time, and it's gonna be one hell of a show. Let's see what we have in store!

Ok so in this round you will be tasked in making something Spooky! This can be in the form of anything, provided it fits the theme of Halloween. This might be:

1. Remixing a Video Game source based on the themes and ideas of Halloween.
  2. Remixing a song or track from an artist that is based on the themes and ideas of Halloween
  3. Imagine you are creating an original composition based on a commission for a Halloween type game/film or T.V Show.
  4. Transforming a piece of music, into something fitting for the Halloween season.
  5. Your own Spooky Video Game OST for Halloween.
  6. An original piece of music that is based on the themes and ideas of Halloween.

Any track from any genre, in any length is accepted. I just need to recognise it as a Halloween themed composition/remix/OST etc....

With that being said, i'm afraid there will be submissions i won't be accepting:

1. A piece of music based of a word that you might associate with Halloween, but is not scary in itself. For example: Candy is something you eat on Halloween. However you can also eat it at Christmas time, Easter and any other time of the day. That's not really considered scary.
  2. A piece of music that mentions Halloween in passing. It must be the main focus of your submission.
  3. Any music irrelevant to the round.
  4. Music that sounds scary, but bares no relation to the themes and ideas of Halloween. Basically i must be able to identify that this is a Halloween themed composition/remix.

These rules are there to ensure that this is a Halloween based round, and not a random Free Round, if you catch my drift. Halloween encompasses many ideas and traditions, so you will definately not be short on musical ideas.

Conditions in regards to submitting:

1. You can upload up to 3 entries maximum. If you are creating an OST, only 1 entry is allowed.
  2. None of the rules in regards to source/remix selection apply here, since it's a Halloween round, however the standard uploading rules for ThaSauce (20mb size, MP3 etc...) remain as normal.
  3. This round and any other free rounds bares no relation to any of the sister compo's and/or it's affiliates (Such as PRC) 

And that's it really. I'm here for any questions you may have, and i'm willing to guide you into opening up your own creative ideas for this round. There will never be a limitation of the music you can make that is based off the wonderful traditions of Halloween. Good luck guys, and remember to have fun!

Note: If you are remixing a VGM source or an piece of music from an artist, it would be very helpful to write down the Game and the Source you are remixing. Likewise the same for the Artist and the Song. 

The winner of this round, join's the winner of the last round for a Double Dose off in Round 137.

Deadline: 31st October @ 1PM

Closing Date: 2nd November @ 1PM

Vote Ends: 9th November @ 1PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP136

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

Guidelines:

1. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  2. If you're gonna do a genre change, at least make sure the original aspect of the source is not lost.
  3. Tempo changes are fine, as long as it's not a big change. I'm talking like, going from 80bpm to 140bpm. 
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max), and submitted as a MP3 file.
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry. 
  6. Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded.  It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.
  7. For this round you can remix more than one source. Do make sure you let me know which source(s) you've picked in the submission notes.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by TheVideoGamer

On 10/5/2022 at 12:52 AM, HarlemHeat360 said:

I don't know how to be spoopy 😳

Uhhh the Silent Hill Church remix that you did was really good d00d!!  Speaking of which, if you're out of ideas, why don't you just take an existing horror source tune and give it the good HarlemHeat360 style? Like Ghost Train from FF6 or Silent Hill or Resident Evil... Or Resident-Silent Jill-Sandwich...Hill. 

EDIT

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC445

You kicked our** collective butts in round445* and it was a good spoopy remix!!

Edited by HoboKa
Kicked "out" collective butts isn't english, Alex. FFS.

18 hours ago, HarlemHeat360 said:

I don't know how to be spoopy 😳

You can remix a pre-existing tune, come up with an original, or even make some kind of Halloween themed ost, it's all up to you.

There's so many video game tracks out there based on spooky themes, you are really spoilt for choice. 

Edited by TheVideoGamer

8 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Uhhh the Silent Hill Church remix that you did was really good d00d!!  Speaking of which, if you're out of ideas, why don't you just take an existing horror source tune and give it the good HarlemHeat360 style? Like Ghost Train from FF6 or Silent Hill or Resident Evil... Or Resident-Silent Jill-Sandwich...Hill. 

EDIT

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC445

You kicked out collective butts in round445* and it was a good spoopy remix!!

Great idea!

17 minutes ago, TheVideoGamer said:

You can remix a pre-existing tune, come up with an original, or even make some kind of Halloween themed ost, it's all up to you.

There's so many video game tracks out there based on spooky themes, you are really spoilt for choice. 

I keep thinking something original but I forget about all the choices haha. Ghost Train might be a nice one. I'm going to look for some midis from tv shows or movies first.

On 10/11/2022 at 10:17 AM, APZX said:

I'm not sure that what I'm cooking up will be Halloweeny enough, but I'm going to try a bit of a Psy-ish interpretation of it. Don't expect the best Psytrance, but it'll definitely be fun, and I'm going to try and creep it up a bit. So, oughta be fun.

Well, I shall reserve THAT call for voting time!! Won't let it color my judgment. Prob mainly cuz my memory is shit. Also, I submitted!! 💀😈

On 10/10/2022 at 3:13 PM, HarlemHeat360 said:

Is "The Successor" from FFVIII Halloween enough? Seeing as it's about the succession of witches. Well, sorceresses.

I mean this is quite an emotional piece, maybe uplifting almost. So turning it into something creepy would sound like a great challenge. Hell i even wrote it on the page:

Transforming a piece of music, into something fitting for the Halloween season.

As long as it espouses the themes and ideas of Halloween in the piece, i really don't see why not. I'm looking forward to it!

On 10/11/2022 at 6:17 PM, APZX said:

I'm not sure that what I'm cooking up will be Halloweeny enough, but I'm going to try a bit of a Psy-ish interpretation of it. Don't expect the best Psytrance, but it'll definitely be fun, and I'm going to try and creep it up a bit. So, oughta be fun.

I mean if it more or less has the themes and ideas of Halloween, regardless of interpretation then it's good to go. Looking forward to hearing it, it'll be fun!

On 10/16/2022 at 10:59 PM, HoboKa said:

Well, I shall reserve THAT call for voting time!! Won't let it color my judgment. Prob mainly cuz my memory is shit. Also, I submitted!! 💀😈

I'm sure what APZX has made will sound great. Can't wait to hear it during voting!

Also looking forward to yours as well!

Edited by TheVideoGamer