OCR04397 - *YES* Super Mario Bros. 2 "Subcon on Mushrooms" *RESUB*

Emunator

Original Submission

Hello again! I have now revisited the track and made some changes:

• Made the bassline in the intro a lot simpler.
  • Added "fillers" with the source material’s lead at several sections of the song.
  • At 1:40, changed the "tropical" lead to having mostly the same notes as the source lead (in the previous version it played at double speed and had a lot of variation)
  • Removed a lot of backing instruments/percussion that only took up space and wasn't barely audible anyway.
  • Overall, went through all leads and stuff and made them more similar to the original.
  • Removed the extended outro and replaced it with the “Failure” tune, very short.

I hope you like this new version!

Link to Remix: 

Contact Information

ReMixer name: Tab Newflax
Email address: 
Userid: 2108

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Super Mario Bros. 2
Name of arrangement: Subcon on Mushrooms
Name of individual song(s) arranged: “Underworld”, “Success”, “Failure”
Comments about the mix:
Hello! This is mainly a remix of the “Underworld” theme from Super Mario Bros. 2. Some tiny parts of the remix are also from the “Success” and “Failure” themes of the same game.

As you might know, the original “Underworld” theme is very short, it’s only roughly 10 seconds! I always liked this song, although it’s a bit repetitive I never get tired of it. I got inspired to remix it and extend it for several minutes. The sound of the remix is mostly inspired by Infected Mushroom, and so is the name of the remix. I hope you like it!

Timestamps: Links to source songs, I will refer to these names in the timestamps:

Underworld Theme Part 1: 0:00-0:04
Underworld Theme Part 2: 0:04-0:10
Success
Failure

image.png.cc7ed86aed1f56ad1b6e84fc639bf8f5.png

The 4:03-4:10 section was the only area where I felt things got too cramped, but it was brief. I actually thought the use of the failure jingle for the end at 4:28 was too abrupt; synth was generic-sounding despite the processing, and just didn't feel thematically connected to the rest of the track, if that makes sense. At the end of the day, that's more nitpick stuff. Once the update was made to the leads to not be so liberal as to be unrecognizeable, I was on board, and the production cleanup was a nice bonus. Great revision; now you're playing with power!

Thanks so much for your openness to revisiting this, Tab, and I'm so glad to have you officially in the rotation here. Looking forward to your next submission too! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/08/27 - (1Y) Super Mario Bros. 2 "Subcon on Mushrooms"

that is a small amount of source! interested to see where this goes.

right off the bat i was impressed with the variety of ways you used such a short clip of melodic content. there's tons of fun processing, like at 0:46, 0:54, and 1:02, going on in the drums. the bassline doesn't ever real fail to keep you locked into the original material and especially the references to Success are great.

there's a big build section that does a great job bringing down and back up again, and then we're in a big blow at 1:56. i found myself wishing for more bass in the mastering here - there's a ton going on, but i wanted a mega kick in my face! in fact i'd say that's my main critique throughout, that the kick is nowhere near the punchy driving kick i'd expect for something that has so much energy elsewhere.

after 2:33, there's a big lower-energy section which continues to move and show more fun ideas, and then we get another big blow at 3:34. there's a transition to new stuff for a bit at 4:04 and an outro that comes and goes with a bit of goofiness, and we're done.

this is a super fun arrangement! there's a ton going on and i don't feel it ever leaves orbit in terms of what melodic material there is to use. i wish there was a punchier kick throughout, but that's my one real criticism. if it goes back again, that's the only thing i'd really want to be changed. but as is, i think it's great and fun. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/08/27 - (2Y) Super Mario Bros. 2 "Subcon on Mushrooms"

Ok the arrangement is still bubbly, glitchy, weird and cool, but now with more added Underground™!  This mix addresses my issues from the first submission.  The arrangement has lots of good dynamics in terms of having several breakdowns and filtered sections to keep it fresh despite the timbres staying the same throughout.  The mixing is good, master is good too despite being a tad on the hot/crispy side and also somewhat flat (needs a bass boost).  I love all the details here, tiny sections of glitching or other effects that add up to a nice serving of ear candy.  I love the percussion starting a 0:55 that replicates the percussion in the source, nice touch!  I love the final ending!  So much creativity here.

Super Mario 2, aka Doki Doki Panic, was one of the first video games I ever played, way back in the day.  I'm already dating myself so I'm not gonna say the exact day!  But yeah I played this relentlessly with my roommate at the time, when the game came out.  She walked in the door one afternoon with the NES console and cartridge.  We played until 3:00am sometimes.  For months. We never got all that far before being sent back to level 1 repeatedly.  But my favorite theme has always been this one, the Underground.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2022/08/27 - (3Y) Super Mario Bros. 2 "Subcon on Mushrooms"

There's a ton of precise filtering, glitching, and processing going on here that does a phenomenal job of keeping the arrangement fresh despite having such minimal source material to work with. Arrangement-wise, the track ebbs and flows strategically to keep things from stagnating. The production on your resubmission sounds a lot cleaner too - there's still moments where the filtering causes everything to sound overly crunchy, and the relative lack of sub frequencies in the kick/bass patches leaves the overall master lacking in punch, but on the whole, it's much stronger. Nitpicks aside, there is an abundance of creativity that prevails here.

Welcome aboard!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04397 - *YES* Super Mario Bros. 2 "Subcon on Mushrooms" *RESUB*
  • Emunator unpinned this topic
  • Liontamer locked this topic