WIndows Vista OS to be officially released Jan 30

al3xand3r

I got an email from Amazon saying you can pre-order the new Windows OS: Vista. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-3946029-2057553?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=windows+vista&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Well, I'm not sure if I will bite just yet, but the prices aren't as terribly high as I expected them to be (for the upgrades, at least, the full versions are above what I'd want to spend, given the choice).

Now, I have never upgraded an OS before, so what does that mean exactly, I lose rights to using the first install? For example, let's suppose I upgrade Windows XP Pro to Vista, can I make a second partition and reinstall Windows XP Pro on there?

Well, anyway, the OS is scheduled for release on Jan 30. If anyone gets it, please post comments on whether it is worth it to get now or not here.

Hmmm, I really don't know in what forum this belongs in. A moderator can move it accordingly, I suppose.

Upgradign keeps your previous windows install and adds to it. This in turn can result in more bloat, and sometimes can carry over issues that were causing problems. I always go for a fresh install.

That said: Do some research on the Vista DRM before you consider using it. It doesn't allow any true HD movie to be played, under any condition. The best you can get is an upscaled DVD resolution. It's balls. That, and microsoft retains the ability to remotely revoke your drivers. (Say bye bye to all your webcams, mics, and video cards that aren't Microsoft certified for HD content). Also: This OS is causing more expensive video cards, as GeForce card now cannot be built for efficiency, but quite the opposite, they are being built to prevent uber hakz!! Cause everyone knows that how people bootleg videos: by hot wiring their video card. So I have to give vista a big thumbs down from what I've used and seen. Download the Breadcrumbs Toolbar and a few nicer programs to make up for the minimal features added, and style, and then wait on "Windows Appalachian" or whatever their next version/upgrade/release may be.

There is no strong reason to get Vista yet, and it's never a good idea to move to a new OS like vista on it's release date. The early days of Vista are probably going to be more of a beta version than a release version. There are also issues such as hardware incomparability, heavy system resource demands, and high prices point to consider etc...

Not worth it (yet) in my opinion.

Upgradign keeps your previous windows install and adds to it. This in turn can result in more bloat, and sometimes can carry over issues that were causing problems. I always go for a fresh install.

I'm pretty sure that upgrading just installs the new OS on your computer and just checks to make sure you have the old OS on your computer before it installs. I don't think it keeps the previous install.

Even if it kept your old install, you could delete your OS, and use the upgrade disk for a fresh install. It'll ask for your old OS install disk and then install freshly.

I'm pretty sure that upgrading just installs the new OS on your computer and just checks to make sure you have the old OS on your computer before it installs. I don't think it keeps the previous install.

Even if it kept your old install, you could delete your OS, and use the upgrade disk for a fresh install. It'll ask for your old OS install disk and then install freshly.

No, it retains driver files, and systems files that are compatible with the new update. In addition, the system registry remains, along with installed programs. So registry errors can sometimes occur, and more commonly, incompatibility with old programs is very common. Try upgrading a Windows ME machine to XP. You will find alot of ME errors remain.

And there has to be an EXISTING windows install to upgrade from it. So deleting the OS, would just result in you re-installing it again, and then starting from where you just were.

Upgrade disks require a previous version be present, hence the "Upgrade" title. Without that present, it will not proceed.

*Edit of Truth*: I'm wrong. They don't.

I work the IT dept at the college I am attending. Microsoft sent us an install of Vista. Without anything but the task manager running, it was using 433 mb memory. Also...the interface reminds me of macintosh.(And for some reason theres a folder called "Panther" in the Windows folder.)

I actually used an upgrade disc for a fresh install on my computer.

I was using a new hard drive, and I popped in the Windows XP "Upgrade Edition". Then it asked me to insert a Windows 95/98/ME/2000 disc for verification. Once it verified, I put the XP Upgrade install and it installed on a clean hard drive. I don't know if you'll be able to do the same thing with Vista, though.

I actually used an upgrade disc for a fresh install on my computer.

I was using a new hard drive, and I popped in the Windows XP "Upgrade Edition". Then it asked me to insert a Windows 95/98/ME/2000 disc for verification. Once it verified, I put the XP Upgrade install and it installed on a clean hard drive. I don't know if you'll be able to do the same thing with Vista, though.

Way to put a foot in my mouth. Great job. Really.

That said: Do some research on the Vista DRM before you consider using it. It doesn't allow any true HD movie to be played, under any condition. The best you can get is an upscaled DVD resolution.

Wrong. So wrong it's not even funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Windows_Vista#Digital_Rights_Management

Paul Smith, a Microsoft MVP and beta-tester, has written a response to Gutmann's paper in which he counters some of these arguments[9]. Specifically, he says:

* Microsoft is not to blame for these measures, they have been forced to do this by the movie studios.

* The Protected Video Path will not actually be used for quite a while. There is said to be an agreement between Microsoft and Sony that Blu-Ray discs will not actually mandate protection until at least 2010, possibly even 2012.[10]

* Vista does not degrade or refuse to play any existing media, CDs or DVDs. The protected data paths are only activated if protected content requires it.

* Users of alternative operating systems such as GNU/Linux or MacOS will not have legal access to this kind of premium content at all, unless these operating systems are fitted with similar mechanisms as Windows Vista, approved by the movie studios.

If the case is that the Vista upgrade only needs a previous installation disc (not necessarily an installed OS) for verification purposes before it proceeds with its own install, then I can go for that.

But I won't buy Vista until a game that uses DX10 comes out (and one that I like, at that!). I was thinking of obtaining a copy upon release, see what it really is like, and let you guys know. But I will heed your advice and wait it out a bit, at least for software that truly uses its new enhancements.