MnP 137: Double Dose: Dragon Quest VI - In The Town & E.V.O: Search for Eden - The Ocean

TheVideoGamer

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Congratulations to HarlemHeat360 for winning MnP135 and HarlemHeat360 (???) for winning the MnP136 Spooktober Round special! (Wait twice!? How is that possible!?) As a result of the special......which er....i delegated for a bit and ended up awarding the source pick to the runner up, APZX due to the unusual circumstances, which was mostly done out of well fairness. In that round, which involved coming up with whatever spooky you like, whether that was making your own Scary based piece of music, or remixing a Video Game source that is spooky based. It didn't matter what you did, as long as it fitted the themes and ideas around Halloween. HarlemHeat360 moved his/her's source pick to this round, which also contains APZX pick, since he got the choice due to unfortunate circumstances arising from the special. As a result, they both chose their own source for this month's MnP source!

Here's HarlemHeat360 said about his/her's pick: 

"Here ya go. Sorry for the wait"  - HarlemHeat360

10/10 for the description there Harlem lol.

GAME: Dragon Quest VI (Super Famicom)

SOURCE: In The Town

VIDEO:

And here's what APZX had to say about his pick:

"The pick this go around from me is going to E.V.O.: Search for Eden's The Ocean. It is a repetitive track, but with its empty space melodically I think that there is a lot options to expand in some interesting ways if people decide to go that way." - APZX

GAME: E.V.O: Search for Eden (SNES)

SOURCE: The Ocean

Would you look at that? Two Square Enix titles in one round!

VIDEO:

Deadline: 16th December @ 1PM

Closing Date: 18th December @ 1PM

Vote Ends: 25th December @ 1PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP137

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

Rules for Picking a Source:

1. All video game sources are limited to the 6th generation of video game consoles and earlier. This was due to community consensus, where people preferred to remix more retro games, than newer games. 6th generation includes: GameCube, Xbox, PS2 and Dreamcast. 
  2. I'm now restricting big name franchises (Such as Zelda and Mega-Man) to one source per year. This is to encourage more obscure games, that not many people will know about to be picked. 
  3. Make sure you provide me both a video and a MIDI of the source in question

Note: This is subject to change. Also keep an eye out, if any special rounds come into fruition.

Guidelines:

1. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  2. If you're gonna do a genre change, at least make sure the original aspect of the source is not lost.
  3. Tempo changes are fine, as long as it's not a big change. I'm talking like, going from 80bpm to 140bpm. 
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max), and submitted as a MP3 file.
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry. 
  6. Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded.  It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by TheVideoGamer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...