Cave Story/Doukutsu Monogatari

Hellcom

~CAVE STORY~

1.png

Well the game has been out for a while, but I only just got into it. As the game is amazing, and there is no thread for it... TA, DA!!

Well for those who are going "Doukutsu what?":

Cave Story is a freeware game that was released in 2004, after 5 years of development, by a Japanese guy who goes by the handle Pixel. It's a 2D Side-Shooter in the vein of metroid and castlevania. It has been hailed by many fans as the best freeware game of 2004 at least to the best freeware game ever made. The screen shot above does not do the game justice. The game features flawless gameplay, a very memorable story, perfect visuals based on chosen style and resources available, and an excellent sound track as demonstrated by some of the remixes on OCR.

It took me a while, but I just managed to beat Hell. My problem was that I could never reach the final bonus boss with enough health to survive. I mastered the Hell level in the end, and just scraped through with 10 HP left after the final fight. I have no idea how some guys can do speed runs with 3 HP.

There is news (old) that a very new publisher called variant is working to port cave story to the PSP with updated visuals.

http://www.variantinteractive.com/en-us/games/variant/cs/index.php

(Artwork Cover is Fan Made)

However, many fans, inculding myself feel a bit iffy about this publisher. Firstly there is confusion as to whether pixel is being paid, whether pixel authorized it, and if this company is capable of porting the game. Nintendo even denied Variant a development kit for the DS.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124986

In other news, there is a home-brew effort, with blessings from pixel, to port the game to the Nintendo DS.

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2006/10/20/homebrew-cave-story-now-headed-to-ds/

http://community.livejournal.com/doukutsu/27249.html (Started off as GBA port)

http://community.livejournal.com/doukutsu/61296.html

Download this game now!:

http://agtp.romhack.net/doukutsu.html (Latest game version and translation patch)

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/ (Fan site and link to MAC version)

Best freeware game EVAR.

Still need to get to the ending where you fight Ballos tho...

I finally beat hell on my second playthrough a couple months ago. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but after a while, I could pretty easily get to Ballos. Finally beating him took a while as well.

Pixel is my hero and I hope he makes another game of the same calibur as Cave Story. Oh, and the remix project is great as others have said.

I finally beat hell on my second playthrough a couple months ago. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but after a while, I could pretty easily get to Ballos. Finally beating him took a while as well.

Wow, you beat Ballos? I can't even beat Final Battle! (Misery/The Doctor/OMG SPOILERS!). Then again, I did stupidly use that life pot Jenka gave me earlier in the game....

Wow, you beat Ballos? I can't even beat Final Battle! (Misery/The Doctor/OMG SPOILERS!). Then again, I did stupidly use that life pot Jenka gave me earlier in the game....

You don't use that life pot for anything other than Hell and Ballos! That was my first mistake. I used the pot in the "final cave", which wreaked my chances of completing Hell. I had to re-start the game in order to get it, but then again, that is no punishment.

• 3 years later...

Soooo this is a massive necropost, but with good reason.

Indie developer Nicalis has been working on a port for WiiWare, which includes a graphics and music upgrade (both optional), several new game modes (including Curly Story, where you play as Curly Brace), and various other additions. The development was assisted and monitored by Daisuke Amaya himself, so his official mark of approval is set on the game. It's going for 1200 Wii points ($12) right now, so check it out! I certainly plan on doing so.

WiiWare game page

Already got to Sacred Grounds before calling it a night.

Okay, who else besides me hates nearly all the new music? Should have gotten OCR to do it :v

Also, 'Huzzah' into 'Oh yeeaaaah'? Who thought of that one?

Other then that I can't complain, the new graphics are nice and smooth (even if they don't seem too radically different except for things like Balrogs... nose thing and the entirety of Quote), and most importantly it's still fun! This is my fourth time playing it, and I don't regret dropping 1200 points on it.

p.s I've never ever beaten Ballos so that is my goal for tomorrow

Okay, who else besides me hates nearly all the new music?

Agree and agree. The new music is not bad by any means, just bad in comparison to the original, and the new translation is actually worse (which is kind of fucking sad since the original was a fan project and this one was presumably some sort of professional job).

There was something wrong with the original traslation?? :dstrbd:

Also a little disappointing that the new music isn't as good... I heard a few clips of the new music a year or two ago and they were pretty bad =/

Might be buying this for Curly Story....

Clearly someone who's a fan of the Kool-aid guy.

There was something wrong with the original traslation?? :dstrbd:

Also a little disappointing that the new music isn't as good... I heard a few clips of the new music a year or two ago and they were pretty bad =/

Might be buying this for Curly Story....

Clearly someone who's a fan of the Kool-aid guy.

The only real failure of the original translation is when the password "ritanomo tsukuudo" (doukutsu monogatari backwards, in Japanese script) got translated as "Litagano Motscoud" instead of Yrots Evac

I think I am going to get this, because a Metroidvania game on the keyboard is pretty frustrating for me; I'd rather play with a controller on a comfy seat.

I DO have 600 Wii points that are just sitting on my account, so after a quick recharge, I'll go for this and then later Rondo of Blood.

I hear all the extra modes were originally supposed to be DLC, but they changed it to just regular unlockables. Which is cool.

Even with qualms with the 'new' translation and music (I mean, the music can't be bad, right?), would you still recommend me to the Wii version? I'm always up for a good long and fun game.