Cave Story/Doukutsu Monogatari

Hellcom

I wouldn't get your hopes up from Curly Story, from what I see and hear it's

Finally, there is a mode that allows you to play through the main story as Curly Brace, which would be super cool if they had made the dialogue slightly more interesting. Curly is not a silent protagonist, and will say things like "I sure did!" when Balrog asks you if you knew Misery kidnapped the wrong mimiga. Other characters will also refer to you as "young lady". When you get to the Sand Zone, the protagonist will take Curly's place in the story and challenge you to a battle, though he will remain silent, and Curly will do all the talking. This makes the following conversation extremely awkward, and when Curly asks the protagonist if he's on the side of the mimigas, you are given a Yes/No prompt, which makes no sense whatsoever. Most importantly, yes, you can still find Curly's underwear, which is referred to as "your panties".

(http://nintendo5star.blogspot.com/2010/03/cave-story-wii-differences.html)

I really wanted to like the port, but the little things keep making me dislike it. The sound effects drowning out the already messed up volume setting for the original music, the horrible looping of the whole song a track finishes instead of using the original loop points, the music pausing whenever you enter a door, and no hard mode with curly brace just makes me :(

I don't have any major problems with the new translation. The fan one is more familiar to me, but there are some things that I like in this one (like the oh yeeaah! Made me chuckle a bit). Not a fan of the new music in general, it lacks a lot of the energy that the old music had (which was really important to me), but I think the new graphics look great.

The new graphics are the best improvement, as they are better detailed while completely keeping the retro feel of the old game.

It's unfortunate that the new music isn't as good as the original and that the original music option's volume is ridiculously low comparatively, but the new music isn't terrible and not worth crying over, let alone condemning the game.

As for the translation... who the Hell pays attention to this stuff? The only part that jumped out to me as blatantly different was Balrog's "OH YEAH!", which I think is more in line with his character than the fan translation anyways. I cracked up when he burst through the wall shouting that.

If you liked Cave Story enough to have spent money on it, pick this one up. Pixel's even on board, so it's not going to get much better than this.

new music in the sand zone and moon song are pretty good

everything else is terrible and i cant wait to finish hell so i can swap the music back to the originals without feeling like i havent experienced it all

Yeah, the music is pretty awful... I really don't understand... It is very disjointed and... just really odd choices. For example, Egg Corridor... I can't really tell where the song starts or ends, except that I already know it, and theres like a ten second dropoff of music then BLAIRINGLY OVERLOUD chords... Just ugh. All of the original feel is lost... And honestly, a lot of it just feels like a mess.

There also seems to be a lack of percussion, something that really made the original music great. The cool beats are gone.

What's worse, the guy that did the music? He's posted.

And what's even worse, and what I don't understand... Pixel likes the new music and hates the old. :(

Yeah, the music is pretty awful... I really don't understand... It is very disjointed and... just really odd choices. For example, Egg Corridor... I can't really tell where the song starts or ends, except that I already know it, and theres like a ten second dropoff of music then BLAIRINGLY OVERLOUD chords... Just ugh. All of the original feel is lost... And honestly, a lot of it just feels like a mess.

There also seems to be a lack of percussion, something that really made the original music great. The cool beats are gone.

I've only heard a few small samples of the new music. I don't think it's 'awful' by any stretch, but I think I prefer the originals.
What's worse, the guy that did the music? He's posted.
Really, that's the guy who did the new soundtrack? Didn't realize there was an OCR connection...

And what's even worse, and what I don't understand... Pixel likes the new music and hates the old. :(

Pixel is incredibly humble, and he played through the game like 50000 times over the course of creating it, so all his original music sounds flawed and boring and horrible to him.

And there's these guys who for some reason love it and want to bring the game to more people, so I imagine that anything they wanted to do with it felt flattering and awesome to him. So it's no wonder that he likes the changed versions better. As the creator, all he can hear in his originals are the flaws that detracted from the perfect realization of what he wanted the songs to be, and all he can hear in the new versions is that people loved his creation anyway.

Which I think is also an explanation behind some of the wtf translation decisions the new team made, like changing Grasstown to Bushlands, etc.

This might be a worth-while read for those who dislike the new music.

Yann van der Cruyssen (Knytt Stories), who composed the remixed soundtrack, acknowledged and explained the problems:

“As you’ve all noticed, there’s a lot of weird things going on with the audio, for instance: drum tracks not playing (there is actually drums in the music files we provided), instrument changes delayed, unbalanced mixing. I discovered this yesterday by watching “Let’s Play” videos, and
am as disappointed as you."

Odds of us in NA getting the bug fixed version?

Zero!

Yeah, basically. Nintendo has pretty much no mechanism for any update ever happening for any Wii releases.

If they were to go ahead and start talking to MS people about getting it on XBLA or Xbox community games, it might be worth holding out for that release to be bugfixed.

Yeah, basically. Nintendo has pretty much no mechanism for any update ever happening for any Wii releases.

If they were to go ahead and start talking to MS people about getting it on XBLA or Xbox community games, it might be worth holding out for that release to be bugfixed.

that would be pretty awesome if it was a live/psn game

I seriously hope La-Mulana gets better treatment than this game. Nicalis really dropped the ball on what could have been a great game. I can understand if these bugs were on the game when the game was meant to be released a few years ago, but with all these delays, it is just inexcusable.

gg nicalis

What? No, Nintendo can and has patched games from the Wii Shop Channel. I know for a fact that both Star Fox 64 and Military Madness were patched; not sure of any others. All you need to do is re-download the newer version, which is free to do at any point after the original purchase.

It's also how they update the internet browser. A Wii Ware title is no different.

Well that's 12 dollars I'm not spending :\ had been looking forward to playing the game with a real control but I don't really want to pay for a botched game even though it's something small like that.

Normally I wouldn't care that much and still buy it, but for a game I've already beaten 100% with a keyboard I can't justify it. If it does get fixed I might get it then. Nicalis seemed to imply alot of the problems manifested on Nintendos end, but I don't know if that's just them hunting for excuses or not...