Cave Story/Doukutsu Monogatari

Hellcom

So I got this, and I'm lovin' it a whole lot.

Beat it and got the normal ending, so now I'm working for the Good Ending.

I usually like to switch between the original and new music, as I like them both (though the original main theme is a whole lot better).

So, I'm wondering, you Cave Story savvy people, do I need to give that old man the very Polar Star I got in the beginning of the game to get the Spur?

Or can I give him the Snake and still get it?

My first time through, I took the machine gun, because impropmtu jet-pack = game-saver, but I've heard that getting the good ending is much more doable with the Spur's power (though I have the Snake on one save right now, considering how awesome it is).

Your thoughts?

I don't think it's possible to get the "good" ending if you trade for the machine gun.

Of course I may be remembering wrong...

I actually am not sure of all the conditions for the good ending, since some of them are just from me purposely challenging myself and others are just me being a completionist and trying to collect everything.

But a few of them are hinted at towards the end.

I don't think it's possible to get the "good" ending if you trade for the machine gun.

Of course I may be remembering wrong...

I actually am not sure of all the conditions for the good ending, since some of them are just from me purposely challenging myself and others are just me being a completionist and trying to collect everything.

But a few of them are hinted at towards the end.

I'm pretty sure you can get the good ending with the machine gun, because I'm pretty sure I did it!

I've only ever really looked at cheat guides for RPGs and Strategy RPGs, like Dragon Quest games, or the DS Knights in the Knightmare.

Platformers I can usually do things well on my own, considering I've been playing them regularly since about 4 years of age.

The Spur/Polar Star question was just something I needed clarification on. As far as the actual endings go, I kinda intuited the whole "If you talk to Booster early" thing when I found I could just jump across the chasm, AND how the teleporter led back to Arthur's house (plus the whole balcony thing); the rest comes from simple exploration.

In either event, I reloaded my save, giving up the Snake in order to go through a very painful trek through the labryinth, Core boss, waterway (no jetpack/machine gun around here.... Ugh) and THEN getting the Spur.

WELLLLL worth it. Holy moly the gun is pretty great. Easily better than the Machine Gun, but I REALLY miss the impromtu jet-pack a L3 Machine Gun was.

In any event, I'm on the right path towards getting the good ending, doing everything right, essentially.

Now all I need is the Nemesis and I am set to take on any sorry mofo that comes my way.

I've only ever really looked at cheat guides for RPGs and Strategy RPGs, like Dragon Quest games, or the DS Knights in the Knightmare.

Platformers I can usually do things well on my own, considering I've been playing them regularly since about 4 years of age.

The Spur/Polar Star question was just something I needed clarification on. As far as the actual endings go, I kinda intuited the whole "If you talk to Booster early" thing when I found I could just jump across the chasm, AND how the teleporter led back to Arthur's house (plus the whole balcony thing); the rest comes from simple exploration.

In either event, I reloaded my save, giving up the Snake in order to go through a very painful trek through the labryinth, Core boss, waterway (no jetpack/machine gun around here.... Ugh) and THEN getting the Spur.

WELLLLL worth it. Holy moly the gun is pretty great. Easily better than the Machine Gun, but I REALLY miss the impromtu jet-pack a L3 Machine Gun was.

In any event, I'm on the right path towards getting the good ending, doing everything right, essentially.

Now all I need is the Nemesis and I am set to take on any sorry mofo that comes my way.

You really might miss the machine gun for the first few jumps of Hell fyi. Hope you're really good with the booster 2!

Eh, if he can get through the evil cave and acquire the nemesis the first few jumps in hell won't be that bad, well the evil cave seemed alot harder to get through than the first section of hell to me anyway.

I might be the only person to say this but... I hate the nemesis. Maybe it's a huge fail on my part that I can't just can't avoid the energy triangles well enough to keep it effective.

So, I found out about Cave Story when I heard it was in development for Wii, like 2.5 years ago. I chose not to download the PC version, saving myself for the Wii version. Now that it's out, though, I'm worried that the Wii version could actually be inferior.

I feel like I wasted 2.5 years of my life, man.

I might be the only person to say this but... I hate the nemesis. Maybe it's a huge fail on my part that I can't just can't avoid the energy triangles well enough to keep it effective.

You're the only person to _say_ it. You're not the only person to hate it, and not the only person who have trouble avoiding triangles. ;)

lol, MUST AVOID THE SPOILS. :D

I like the Nemesis so far. I'm pretty good at avoiding triangles, and even if I'm not, one hit is usually enough to put me back on the offensive again.

You really might miss the machine gun for the first few jumps of Hell fyi. Hope you're really good with the booster 2!

Uggggggghhhhhhh.

5 seconds DEATH 8 seconds DEATH 10 seconds DEATH fall down shaft DEATH

Very annoying.

VERY annoying.

And of course, everything after that...

Tell me, is the whole thing just one big no-save gauntlet?

So, I found out about Cave Story when I heard it was in development for Wii, like 2.5 years ago. I chose not to download the PC version, saving myself for the Wii version. Now that it's out, though, I'm worried that the Wii version could actually be inferior.

I feel like I wasted 2.5 years of my life, man.

If you got and/or want to spend the cash, I'd say just go for it.

I'll also say that I have the exact same misgivings you had, but I decided to just go with it and go for the Wii version.

I'm loving the Wii version, the option to switch between the musics is pretty damn great (though I only really felt it necessary to switch to the old in the are called Plantation. When you get there, you'll feel the same way), and it is an all-around great game that I have already sunk more than ten hours into (comparing the say, 13 hours I put on my first playthrough of Metroid Prime 3 Corruption... amazingly, I'll have to say right now that Cave Story is better made than Corruption; coming from the biggest die-hard Metroid fan, that is saying something.).

Get it, or if you wanna be cheap, get it on PC.

However, this type of game (for me anyway) was a lot more comfortable with a remote (and no, no joypad; those things are gay).

Oh cool you got around to visiting hell :D

I've never done a speedrun before, because I suck and it takes me forever to kill stuff...and things, takes a good 10-15 minutes? I wonder if getting it on the wii would make it easier, I have trouble coordinating my fingers between jump/boost and letting go of a charged shot on the keyboard.

I don't do speedruns just because they aren't fun and they are time consuming to perfect.

Unless the game is [a] Metroid; then above point is false

And fuck Hell.

Jeeziz, gotta love the whole "lol be totally dependent on random health drops" and how Heavy Press eats away all the health you saved up, and Ballos...

This is going to be a long weekend, I can feel it.

Unless the game is [a] Metroid; then above point is false

And fuck Hell.

Jeeziz, gotta love the whole "lol be totally dependent on random health drops" and how Heavy Press eats away all the health you saved up, and Ballos...

This is going to be a long weekend, I can feel it.

You shouldn't be taking any damage from Heavy Press -- dodge one laser, fire up with your dual Nemesis guns and win.

Oh cool you got around to visiting hell :D

I've never done a speedrun before, because I suck and it takes me forever to kill stuff...and things, takes a good 10-15 minutes? I wonder if getting it on the wii would make it easier, I have trouble coordinating my fingers between jump/boost and letting go of a charged shot on the keyboard.

yea i got to it a while back on the pc, which is what my fastest time is from.

i am finding it actually harder to play this on the wiimote than on the pc. my sanctuary runs on the wii keeps being around 7 minutes.

randomly, my psp sanctuary run is around the same as my pc run.