Cave Story/Doukutsu Monogatari

Hellcom

yea i got to it a while back on the pc, which is what my fastest time is from.

i am finding it actually harder to play this on the wiimote than on the pc. my sanctuary runs on the wii keeps being around 7 minutes.

randomly, my psp sanctuary run is around the same as my pc run.

Hmm, it might be because the button layout, Diagonal buttons are a bit easier on the hand than horizontal ones don't you think?

Unless the game is [a] Metroid; then above point is false

And fuck Hell.

Jeeziz, gotta love the whole "lol be totally dependent on random health drops" and how Heavy Press eats away all the health you saved up, and Ballos...

This is going to be a long weekend, I can feel it.

Here's a tip, stop taking damage and you won't have to rely on health drops. :P

I actually played through the whole game without taking the rocket launcher so I have no advice for making it easier on the weapon front. Although yeah, I also relied on the Sword and Spur as well, with a bit of fireball.

Yea, save the Missles for the final form.

I also used swords, fuck the Nemesis guns. Just use the Spur for everything else.

Nemesis isn't all that great anywhere except Hell, where I find it easier to keep track of dual nemesis guns rather than Spur + nemesis and whatnot.

That being said, I do use the spur on section 2 of hell to throw beams straight up in the hopes that angels will crash and burn into them behind me. Nemesis all the way for Section 3 though, as it's easier to cover behind you if you have a good weapon that maintains a high rate of fire (nemesis). I suppose Nemesis and Snake would work and be kind of overkill, though I hear that's the weapon combo that gets through it the fastest.

Just finished a run through cave story, where I took the time to beat the game with the Mimiga mask on, and it's not until they take the booster away that you realize how dependent on it you've become :-(

Also, I've gotten my fastest time yet on Hell at something like 8:40, and I'm kind of surprised, because even though I thought I was going through pretty slow, I usually take about 10 or 15 minutes to make my way through. Additionally, I only used the spur, and the missile launcher, seeing as how I don't like taking the time to level up any of my other weapons, and I don't like trying to avoid weapon energy with the nemesis.

Also, as a neat tip for getting through Hell, on the screen right after the screen with all the blocks falling from the ceiling, you can grab the two hearts in the bottom right hand corner, go back up one screen, re-get those hearts, and rinse-repeat until your full. I find that particularly helpful, seeing as how the falling block screen is the place where I take the most damage, and certainly makes things a lot easier.

• 5 months later...

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/26/nicalis-details-cave-story-s-jump-to-dsiware-wiiware-update-com/

What is this? A WiiWare game actually getting support after the game is released????

How absurd!!!!

I really, really, REALLY hope they fix all the damn bugs and glitches in the game, and for the love of God, FIX THE MUSIC.

oh yeah and really old bump. That pic in the article looks really cool, though that's just fanart.

Yay! Glad to hear about the bug fixes. I was pretty disappointed in that update.

Also--on my droidx, i just found the live wallpaper of the ending where you fly away on the dragon--I'm so happy!

also:

Oh yeaaah!! The other thing we learned is that audio is almost more important to Cave Story fans than artwork. For those ready to bitch about the audio, it’s perfect this time around, the first time around.:)

• 4 weeks later...

So the remixed n' fixed audio sounds pretty much completely different.

Like they just said "You know what, these remixes suck. Let's do them over."

It's so nice to actually here drum tracks on these pieces- the boss songs sound great for a change! Oh an actual loops that work, too.

Everything sounds pretty tight in their re-remixed forms, except for Plantation/Cave Story. It just doesn't feel like it should be a slow-paced song.

Even the menus are no longer shitty and more to the point.

That being said....

Nicalis fucked up again. Because the remixed tracks are incredibly fucking quiet. You have to put your tv up to very loud volumes to actually enjoy the tracks.

And yeah good luck seeing ANOTHER update to fix that.