*NO* Star Fox "Corneria"

Chimpazilla

(will need original title if it passes - Chimpa)

Hey OCRemix!

A friend of mine forwarded me to your channel, and I had no idea a place like this existed. Super cool. lol I'd love to submit a track I covered recently. 
  • ReMixer Name: System Glow
  • E-mail: 
  • USER ID #: 38326
  • Website(s): https://linktr.ee/systemglow
  • Name of Game - STAR FOX
  • Name of Arrangement - "CORNERIA"

Starts off a sound upgrade (though a massive one) with liberal VFX clips taken from the game.  0:13-0:36 is immediately looped at 0:37-1:00; it's not long, but early copypasta is a turn-off. Production quality is great, but for the full first minute, there's really not the kinds of development, personalization, and transformation that we look for.

However, at 1:11, an original bridge kicks in, and it's pretty darn awsome, and blends in great with a return to the main theme.  And then, suddenly, it's over.  The whole track is less than 2 minutes long, which is our usual minimum.

I really want to be able to pass this.  There's about a half a minute of the epitome of the sort of thing we look for, which I really don't want to send back.  But it needs to be supported by the larger mix, and it's just not.  Add about another 30 seconds of content to where it basically stops at 1:47, and maybe some change-ups to the second loop, and this'll be a sure winner.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/08/01 - (1N) Star Fox "Corneria"
  • 3 weeks later...

there is a ton of clipping reported by my daw, although it's not immediately audible.

this is has a hip vibe and feels great initially. the copypasta is not good since it's like 1/5th of the track length that's repeated. the solo break at 1:11 is dope, and it goes back to the main theme well. the ending is kind of blah.

ultimately, the nice solo break doesn't cover that there's too much here that's essentially the original transcribed. there's not enough 'transformative arrangement' to pass. if it was longer and the remainder wasn't the first minute, i'd be good, but as-is, it's too little System Glow and too much Hirasawa.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/08/01 - (2N) Star Fox "Corneria"
  • 1 month later...

Track's only 1:45-long (aside from the stingers at the start and finish, which make great loop points when the track's put on repeat), so there's almost no way this could pass from a development standpoint; you need some more time here to flesh out the ideas.

Sounds ultra-dry and empty as far as the sounds, but I love the energy of the writing. The orch stabs, geetar synths, thick beats, and various SFX are sounding good. I liked the subtle doubling of the melody from :47-1:00

Watch the core beat at :13; this pattern is super plodding and boring, . Literally copying this advice from another track wth the same issue: You've gotta keep in mind that no matter what other percussion is going on in your textures, if there's one element that's way louder and it's also super metronome-y (i.e. that kick), then the whole thing sounds thin, empty, and droning. The perc writing ultimately comes off lonely and barren there.

The comping-style lead writing from 1:11-1:36 over the top of the source is completely the kind of creative original additive writing that meaningfully personalizes an interpretive arrangement, so that's well in the right direction.

Aside from the beats being too loud with basic writing that caused a plodding feel, structurally, Michael, you have a solid arrangement concept. It's got a swift tempo and reasonable dynamic constrast throughout (again, undermined by the beats). It's really too bad that it's so short and that the instrumentation and production aren't dense enough, because these raw materials are fun. 1:01-1:10 was arguably the only brief moment where this soundscape felt adequately filled; you'll have to bring that level of density to other areas of the track.

If you can build this composition/arrangement out further (about another 30-60 seconds somehow, without just doing cut-and-paste stuff) and employ effects to give your soundscape a fuller feel, you'd be flying high. ;-)

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Star Fox "Corneria"