OCR00609 - Chrono Trigger "Dream of Zeal"

orkybash

Chrono Trigger 'Dream of Zeal'

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. "Is another Zeal remix really worth my time?" The answer here is a resounding yes. This is put together really well. And it isn't quite the same as any of the other Zeal mixes on OC, so it does have something new to offer in a song that's done almost as much as the FF Prelude. I would definitely recommend this.

• 1 month later...

Oh my god.

OH MY GOD.

In the words of SgtRama: OMTF!!!

This remix is absolutely beautiful. I've always been a huge fan of the Zeal theme, Chrono Corridor, but this is... :o whoa... All the synths sounds so incredible, the drums go really will in this mix, the bass is strong and doesn't get drowned out, and that little descending arp used at :16 that DJP also talked about in his write-up is SO COOL.

I give this one an A++++

Excellent work, bLiNd. Keep on remixing ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Blind throws us one of many (too many) Zeal remixes, but certainly THE best remix i've heard so far in the chrono trigger category.

Every synth is perfectly played with an on-time beat that sounds just-perfect and suiting for this song. Im not sure how long this song took to make, but im guessing a lot, the dept of the sounds as well as the number of sounds used in the song itself is large enough to impress me.

The zeal's theme was overmixed, so if you have other mixes and not this one, run, get it, and make sure its on top of your playlist. It deserves that place.

• 4 weeks later...

Great stuff from someone else from my hometown (Vegas has some talented people it seems). I recognize a couple of those samples from Reason (maybe because I've used some of them), i.e. the hip hop drum sample. This is really good stuff. Downbeat/electronica/ambient. Highly recommended. However, I like some of your original Trance stuff a lot better. I was downloading from you on mp3.com before I realized you were on OCR. If only I didn't suck so bad at Reason. I'll probably just stick to Fruity Loops for Trance. I hope you remix some more for OCR in the future. Keep it up!

~Ghetto Lee Lewis

(stay tuned for my Breath of Fire song when it comes out. It'll should be posted on OC Remix before too long. If not, then follow the link (right click, save target as or paste into address bar)

http://www.angelfire.com/music4/t_diddy/BoF_Save_Your_Game_Club_mix_2002_OC_Remix.mp3

If you wait a few days, it should show up on mp3.com shortly.

www.mp3.com/Ghetto_Lee_Lewis

note: I don't normally advertise my music with reviews, but I thought you might be interested, seeing as you're from Vegas and all, and into making Trance like I am. Maybe you could offer suggestions for some of my music, or whatever. Keep up the great work!! w00t!!

• 1 month later...

Wow. Just wow. I was so sick of Zeal remixes. I almost didn't listen to this one until I decided that I owed it to myself to listen to something new. So I clicked on the link, and after a few seconds I get this (for lack of a better word) PHAT drum beat bumping through my speakers. I knew I had found something awesome. That little melody came in, and I was nearly foaming at the mouth. I was loving it only 0'08" lol Then the sub-bass came in and the strings shortly after, and I swear I must have looked primitive, jumping around like that. I hadn't played CT in a year or so, and this song made me want to hop on the old SNES and hand Lavos his ass again. Seriously, I wasn't jumping around and stuff, but I was blown away by this mix. I'll go with the 6/5 too. Best CT remix I have ever heard.

• 2 months later...

Oh, my god. It's beautiful. Better yet, this is the first song I've heard from Overclocked, and better still it was a Random selection. This certainly won't be the last one I'm gonna download.

I wish I had a digital cameral right nearby.... I could have proven that I HAD GOOSEBUMPS when I was hearing this score.

This is a SOLID 5/5, a pefect rendition. I love it!

Summary: ADD THIS TO YOUR LIBRARY!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

this remix sucks.

wait lemme think about it.

ok I changed my mind it's one of the damn coolest things I have ever heard in my whole friggin life.

I need to change my boxers now.

I think my favorite bit in the whole track, which is stupendous all around, is that crazy string stab that comes in with the bass.

blind, you have done a good thing.

Man...I just wanted to drop in and say that I haven't been able to stop listening to this mix since I remembered I had it on my hard drive the other day (I DLed it before I ever played Chrono Trigger...). Although I have to admit that the sound of the lead melody took a couple of listens to get used to, but now I love it. The bass is really awesome too. Great mix ^___^

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

bLiNd-All of your trance work is great ever since I heard your first Star Fox Space Cowboys song, and this is no exception. The original song was cool in emotion just like this one.

On another note, I think "A Shot of Crisis" is one of the most under-rated songs in CT and you also have a pretty good remix of it on your website; the other songs are very nice too.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

hey,

Just thought i'd request an edition of this track. Firstly, I thought the track was great. I guess its hard to make the zeal theme sound bad, but still :P The only element I disliked was the umm lead synth thing, the track starts great and then, as soon as lead starts I feel its integrity loses something.. was wondering if you could perhaps use a version of the original lead, which is more like, umm a single note tapping.. dammit, im not good at explaining.. but the lead you had, bLiNd was just too smooth, and because the other synth elements are smooth too, there is no contrast... and contrast is life baby!

If you read this, and in the unlikely event understand what im saying, and in the even more unlikely event that you want to make this edition but are unclear about something, please reply :P

<3 r.o.

I very much doubt that anyone would make a change to their music just because someone else didn't like the lead sound. Maybe if you pointed out some clipping or something wrong with it, then yeah, its about improving it, so thats fine. This is just personal preference, so its very unlikely.

Also, a specific request like this is better off with a direct PM or email to the artist as opposed to a public request.

EDIT: Oh yeah this is what mods do, whoops.

Also, it's somewhat unlikely (although not entirely impossible) that bLiNd doesn't even have the workfiles anymore. So even if he actually would be willing to change that sample, the original work would be gone and there would be no way to make any such change without completely restarting the song from scratch. Theoretically.

I realise, all this stuff... ofc. I thought though, if the lead synth was a sound font, then it could simply be changed.. The request, was basically to restore a little more of the original's essence. I found everything except the lead synth, to be perfect as a part of this style of remix..

Well, its not a case of how simple the change would be. Imagine walking up to your favourite band and asking them to change the sounds they use because you think some other ones would be better for what you think the music is about.

Also, if you want more of the original's essence, listen to the original?

• 1 year later...

As far as Zeal mixes go (and they do go, on and on and on), this remains the most memorable for me. I'm someone that played most of Chrono Trigger as a young person and didn't even think about the music at all, so when I caught up with OCR and listened to the pages and pages of CT tracks, I didn't get much nostalgia, but I finally got to appreciate the CT score. So, it is DreamOfZeal that I think about when someone mentions Zeal theme. There's something about it that is now etched into my recollection. Is there any greater compliment than having the ability to usurp the original? Probably.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00609 - Chrono Trigger "Dream of Zeal"