Street Fighter II - Sagat's Redemption (theme of Sagat)

MartinH

https://youtu.be/w6l0ClbHUNo

First thing, I actually mained Sagat for a while in SFIV when it was new, back in 2009-2010 ish. Loved that round house kick into ultra, and man did he hit hard. He was really strong in vanilla SFIV.

Before starting this project on Sagat's theme I remembered since I was a kid that this song had this odd time signature, meaning you can't keep diggging to it like those straight beat songs. This goes into one of the most unusual time signatures ever heard in a video game song - 11/8.

I knew from start that I was gonna change some chords here and there and keep the melody true to the original. I also knew I wanted to use the sharp marimbas I used in Distant Thunder (Secret of Mana). This is therefore applied here and there in this remix.

This theme has a nice ambient touch to it, I love the pluck played in the background during most parts of the song. I found a pad sounding like a soft ambient horn which I modified to playing chords in some of the calm parts, and also remodified it to play some cool melody parts, for example the very last notes you hear in this remix.

It took a while to put this together, not only because of the odd time signature, but also because the original is not very varying. I know I have done a lot with other songs without variation, but it was harder thanks to this time signature. Every bar is longer and the melody and ideas didn't come very natural (much easier with normal bars in time signatures like 4/4 or 3/4). But enough with that time signature, yes it did affect a lot.

/Neon X