OCR04429 - *YES* Mario Paint "I have Seen the yellow paint" *PRIORITY*

Emunator

I saw you were looking for Mario arrangements. Here's a drone metal / noise rock Mario Paint arrangement I recorded back in 2018, but with a fresh mix and master treatment. Your tweet said ANY genre!! Here's hoping this submission doesn't make you regret those words. ;)

I'd recommend listening to this first to set your expectations accordingly - this isn't one of the happy, energetic tunes that Mario Paint is known for.

Think SUNN O))) meets Sigur Ros. Excessive distortion, saturation, etc. are genre norms here, and are completely intentional. It's not meant to be an easy listen.
Guitar, (delightfully out of tune) upright piano, vocals, and the little random noises are my own recordings; drums, bass, and synth layers are sampled/vsts. 

I swear I'll submit something more conventional soon. Hope you all are well.<3
-Jeff

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Mario Paint https://ocremix.org/game/126/mario-paint-snes
  • Name of arrangement: I have Seen the yellow paint 
    (note: ideally, the title is to be rendered with that specific capitalization. No big deal if that's not possible)
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Background Music 3 (I've seen this song titled "Mysterious" in various places, but I don't know if that's an official title.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/03/01 - (1Y) Mario Paint "I have Seen the yellow paint"

Thanks, I hate it.

YES

In all seriousness, there's really no problem with this sort of thing.  We really do embrace all genres for the site, regardless of our personal preferences — and some of us genuinely like this sort of thing.  The mixdown is a little grungy, but I expect that for this genre.  There's a little bit of clipping during the big hits, but again the genre excuses it (though it still should ideally peak below 0dB).  I can't see a compelling reason to say no.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/03/01 - (2Y) Mario Paint "I have Seen the yellow paint"

Welp, that which you set out to do, you accomplished.  Very cool dystopian sounds used here.  I had not heard this source before, and I was surprised at how droning it was.  I actually prefer your version, as I like dark feely weird tunes.  Production is loud and somewhat grungy which is completely appropriate here.  Let's do this.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/03/01 - (3Y) Mario Paint "I have Seen the yellow paint"

It's practically unfathomable that this is coming from the same artist that gave us downright-adorable remixes such as Meteorites and Rabbits or The Glacier's Peak. Talk about a 180! But as someone whose personal tastes run the gamut from cutesy anime music all the way to black metal, this perfectly encapsulates what I love about the OCReMix community, and how it fosters an environment where boundary-breaking experiments are not just tolerated, but encouraged, without fear of needing to maintain a "personal brand" or creating consumer-friendly content.

I've listened to a lot of Sigur Ros, having seen them live in concert on two separate occasions now, and this absolutely captures the essence of their more abstract, droning wall-of-sound experiments, down to the subtle synth flourishes and field recordings, or the minimal but highly impactful drum layers. You did justice to your inspirations here with a source tune that I would never in a million years have taken in this direction myself. 

Never apologize for keeping it weird! \m/ 

YES

Edited by Emunator

• Liontamer changed the title to (2023/03/01) *YES - TAG* Mario Paint "I have Seen the yellow paint" *PRIORITY*
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04429 - *YES* Mario Paint "I have Seen the yellow paint" *PRIORITY*
  • Liontamer locked this topic