Super Mario Maker 2 - Title Theme (resub...)

jneen

Hey all,

Got some awesome feedback from the judges and was asked to resub, but as usually I might have overdone it :<

Original track:

The rejected mix:

The latest version:

https://files.jneen.net/ocremix/bwt2.flac

wav version in case your browser can't open flac...

-----> https://files.jneen.net/ocremix/bwt2.wav <----

EDIT: just to summarize what i did and the feedback i'm looking for:

* i did change up the drums at 1:12, but i'm afraid they distract from the fun sfx layers now. it's still probably better than just continuing the break as-is, though, i'm not sure.

* i added a whole new section at 2:22-ish where i resampled the previous sliced break and did more old-school chopping to create a half-tempo beat, and then added a brass section with other mario theme callbacks. (the non-8-bit version of the original in the game also does this with the smb1 ground theme, i just also added a bit of smb3 and smb1 underground). this section kind of ramps up the tension a lot for a track i'd originally envisioned to just kind of be

* i got a good deal of feedback on the mix, which i did address some of - but i do kind of like the melody floating in over the hills with the bass and drums close by. maybe i'm just used to sitting in rhythm sections :<

EDIT (19 Mar): updated the mix, fixed a few techincal problems (renoise tracker effects get hecked when combined with phrases sometimes...)

Edited by jneen
prefix

Works for me in macos firefox 😅 - is it because it's not HTTPS i wonder...

[edit] apparently i did setup SSL on that domain so i changed it to https, hopefully it works now?

[edit 2] okay for the life of me i cannot get that link to actually link, it's href="" lol. the wav one works apparently though.

Edited by jneen
addition 2

Evaluation:

There is an improvement on the overall arrangement (new segue into original Mario theme), there are some very subtle changes to the breakbeat to help it from feeling too repetitive.  Hearing some beat slicing around 1:10, (compared to the first version that was submitted).  Not sure there has been a cohesion improvement between the parts in the mix, feels close to the same; but not a deal breaker for me (wasn't detracting too much for me in the first version).  2:50-3:30 the crash cymbal is a bit wild and could be tamed a little or used less (minor adjustments).  I'd say the arrangement has likely been improved enough and has enough variation.  I'd say tame or use less of that cymbal in the 2:50-3:30 section, and then you could probably throw this back to the Js.

Good luck.

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!