*NO* Super Mario Bros. 2 "End of the Beginning" *PRIORITY*

Emunator

hello,
I'm French and don't speak English very well, this is my fifth submission, I hope my request is correct. Thanks

Re Mixer : Onirik Dreamer
email : 
Link of vidéoclip :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5YPKemefSA
user id : 38210

Name of game arranged : Super Mario Bros 2 (NES)/Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic (FDS)
Name of original track : ending theme (composed by Koji Kondo)
Name of my track : End of the beginning
Additional information about game : 1988 (NES)
Link to the original soundtrack :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GB8SSIK0sQ
Your own comments about the mix : I love this very soft track, on which I tried an orchestral touch for the intro before it goes to electro.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Wow the marching-snare drums are loud right away, and the drums sound like they were mixed in a box.  It feels like there is a bandpass on the intro drums, all midrange.  In fact the entire intro sounds very boxy with the exception of the loud white noise sweep.  The staccato strings and choir sound ok except they are on the quiet side, with the marching snare drowning them out.  The synth that begins at 0:36 is painfully loud and piercy, becoming more obscured as the other synths join in.  Arrangement is conservative yet with plenty of personalization.  The white noise sfx is quite loud whenever it occurs.  This is a very short arrangement, and a fadeout ending is somewhat of a disappointment especially in an already short mix.  It's a good fadeout as far as fadeouts go, but it takes up nearly 25 seconds of a 2:25 piece.  Honestly I can see this passing as is, it is a cute little remix with lots of variation and personality, but I feel like it needs another pass at the mixing.  The intro should sound less boxy, and that opening synth after "here we go!" could be filtered in so it isn't so sharp/loud/piercy right away.  Mastering seems fine.

NO (borderline, resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/02/05 - (1N) Super Mario Bros. 2 "End of the Beginning"

track does sound oddly mixed - nothing sounds like it's in the same place, with the snares feeling like you're watching someone play them through a door. the intro is cute, but just sounds strange.

the synth with the arp at 0:36 is immediately recognizable, but the drum loop laid over it has a really heavy shuffle and it feels weird next to such a rigidly performed synth, and the snare fill again being rigidly quantized sounds really weird.

the fadeout is way long for how long the piece is. you've got 30ish seconds of intro, barely more than a minute of material, then a long fadeout. it's not really enough time for transformative arrangement.

i don't think this is really all there yet. it feels like a demo with some neat ideas but that needs a lot more polish.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/02/05 - (2N) Super Mario Bros. 2 "End of the Beginning"

Yeah, those loud, muffled snares in the intro are an instant turnoff.  They drive out everything else, from the "lead" violins to the vox choir.

It immediately gets better than that, but there are still some issues.  The iconic arp becomes the loudest element, again dominating the lead.  You've got this four-on-the-floor beat, and some sweeps, but none of the other EDM elements one expects from that approach.  It sounds incomplete.

Adding to that feeling, it's basically done at 1:32.  The rest is a loop into a fadeout.  As my fellow judges said, it's a good fadeout, but it comes far too early to showcase a completed arrangement.

You've got a good start here, but it's just a good start.  Feel free to add to it and send it back our way.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Super Mario Bros. 2 "End of the Beginning" *PRIORITY*
  • Liontamer locked this topic