Emunator

Contact Info

ReMixer Name: StruttinEvilMushroom
Email: 
User ID: 37434

Submission Info
Name of Game Remixed: Super Metroid
Name of Arrangement: Flora Within Lifeless Depths
Name of Individual Song Arranged: Brinstar (Plant Overgrowth Area)

Edited by prophetik music

• 4 weeks later...

This is a fun EDM-ish remix at heart, but there are a couple of notable issues holding it back.

First, production. It's extremely mid-heavy. There's not a lot of presence in the highs and virtually nothing in the lows. There are whole sections where I can't even hear the kick, and the choir pad is almost completely muffled. Even when there's an isolated steel bass, it's only using the upper register and has no bass presence.

It's also quite quiet overall, with nearly 3dB of headroom and no compression to speak of.

Second, it's too repetitive. 0:35-2:41 is repeated in 3:03-5:10. That's 127 seconds of copy-pasta out of a 342-second track, or 37%.  That's far too much. Other than intro and outtro, the whole thing is basically two loops.  If you're going to have a loop like this, the second pass through needs to be notably different from the first, or the listener will lose interest.

I enjoyed the beat and the original approach here, it just needs to fill out both the soundscape and the duration with engaging content.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/10/20 - (1N) Super Metroid "Flora Within Lifeless Depths"
  • 2 weeks later...

timeless original. such a neat set of synths.

about 3db of headroom.

the intro is a really neat filtered lick with drums! and then i realize that that's what it's supposed to sound like the entire time. i legitimately thought it was just an intro concept. the mastering is rough enough that this is a hard pass right there. the bass peaks at 60ish hz and then falls off without a true cutoff below 40hz (there's notable content at <10hz!), and there's significant peaks at 250 and 400hz, and effectively nothing else exists. this desperately needs mastering assistance to both enhance the highs and get it all out of the same register.

all that said, there's a super slick track under here. the drums are doing great stuff (we get a kick randomly at 2:10? that's actually in the bass range?) if they weren't so notched. the intensity building and transitions between sections are really fun too. there's a bit break at 2:43 that is well-timed, and doing a half-time beat through there with the brushes on the ride is a great idea. the slides in the guitar/lead synth are neat too, and layering with the men's choir is again really reminiscent of the original's soundtrack without being derivative.

drums at 3:35 are a great filtered build into 3:46...they just never get there 😃 same comments as before here around the mastering. that said, this section from about 3:46 through at least 5:10 has a lot in common with the earlier section from about 1:20 through 2:40. there's some very mild differences but it's too much. you could easily cut out that entire repeated section and you'd have a better track.

there's a natural ending at 5:15 but the track runs another 20s with sfx. i dunno about that part either.

the mastering is enough to auto-reject this, and the copypasta isn't a great thing. but a lot of your ideas are awesome and just need to be brought to light. more work here will result in an iconic track.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/10/20 - (2N) Super Metroid "Flora Within Lifeless Depths"
  • 2 weeks later...

Where are the lows?  The entire track sounds as if there was a room-correction EQ applied that was not turned off prior to export.  I'm actually hoping this is the case.  If not, you need to massively improve your listening environment, get actual mixing speakers or headphones, or something.

The arrangement ideas are good, but the actual arrangement is too repetitive.  The same sounds are used throughout the piece in addition to similar writing and drum patterns.  Most of the sections go on too long without anything meaningful added.  The same transitions are used twice and both drops are the same.  Quite a bit more work to do here, but with some variations added and proper mixing, this remix could shine.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2022/10/20 - (3N) Super Metroid "Flora Within Lifeless Depths"
  • prophetik music changed the title to *NO* Super Metroid "Flora Within Lifeless Depths"