OCR01542 - Super Mario World "Koopa vs. Kefka"

djpretzel

To me it didn't seem as angry. Usually when playing the game I always pictured Bowser and castle bosses as "I'm so fucking angry that I'll kill you and the Princess both!"

This version made it seem almost sad. Like he's just a hideous lonely asshole and is out to make the world pay for how sad it's made him. I don't know.

Basically, it's incredible.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Whenever I listen to this, I get an image of the Phantom of the Opera who moved into one of the castles of Super Mario World, specifically the one in the Forest of Illusion, and is performing in front of a massive pipe organ.

To me it didn't seem as angry. Usually when playing the game I always pictured Bowser and castle bosses as "I'm so fucking angry that I'll kill you and the Princess both!"

This version made it seem almost sad. Like he's just a hideous lonely asshole and is out to make the world pay for how sad it's made him. I don't know.

On the other hand, I've never really considered this mix and how it relates to Bowser like that before. It's already been noted that Bowser has a bizarre relationship with Mario; one day he's kidnapping Mario's love interest and trying to destroy the universe, and the next day he's playing golf or racing go-karts with Mario. This mix only adds another layer of mystery to riddle wrapped in enigma trapped in puzzle that is Bowser.

Maybe I'm reading a little too much into the mix, but that's what makes it great; it so complex and contemplative. This is a definitely must download.

• 1 month later...

BEST remix on the site!! I have been listening to every remix from a game that I know, started from 00000 all the way to 01700... maybe because I love both of the tunes that are mixed together, but they are mixed together very nicely and you ought to be very proud of those 8 hours!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Really exquisite piano playing going on, but that's nothing short of what I've come to expect from Dhsu. The mood is fitting for the castle theme and overall I like what's been done to make the original sound even creepier.

The real highlight for me, though, was the organ that came in later in the mix - I was NOT expecting that! :-o You don't hear that often in remixes, but it COMPLETELY works here!

Also, I'm pretty astonished at the seamless transition between themes, I honestly didn't even notice that you ever deviated from Super Mario World. Brilliant work, this comes highly recommended for anyone looking for something downright creepy!

• 1 year later...

Kefka and Bowser....now that is a team. And that organ......so badass! The piano leading up to it was beautiful as well. I love organ and piano mixes, especially in darker atmospheres like this one, so needless to say this ReMix is down my alley. It's so amazing how the two songs just seem to be made for each other. Going straight into my Halloween playlist right now!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01542 - Super Mario World "Koopa vs. Kefka"