Computers Cansuckit

suzumebachi

OK so... this morning my brother installs Daemon Tools on his computer. But the stupid piece of shit Spybot S&D registry protector denies it access to the registry. So he disables the Spybot registry protector, uninstalls Daemon Tools, installs it again, and then reboots. Well... now the computer won't make it past the loading screen without rebooting again. Safe mode appeared to work fine, so I used that to run System Restore, but that pretty much didn't fix ANYTHING. I ran scandisk, and no apparent errors, though the instant scandisk is finished the computer reboots again. I did manage to get into windows ONCE by skipping scandisk (for some reason scandisk comes up EVERY TIME it boots now) and got the "System has recovered from a serious error" message... four times. But when I rebooted the system again, it went right back to rebooting itself as soon as the windows loading screen ends.

Anybody have any idea wtf is going on, or how to fix it SHORT OF FORMATTING?

ok afk

If you want to see what errors are occurring before the auto reboot you need to disable the "reboot on failure" option in the system. Go into the system settings in control panel and go to the Advanced tab. In there, disable the "reboot on failure" setting. That should halt the system on a critical error screen instead of rebooting and making you wonder what just happened.

I'd also recommend going to Start ---> Run and then typing "msconfig". This will get you into the config settings for windows. Go to the startup tab in there and see what things are trying to load up when windows starts. Try turning off suspected programs one at a time and have it reboot normally to determine what's causing the problem.

Best of luck.

If you want to see what errors are occurring before the auto reboot you need to disable the "reboot on failure" option in the system. Go into the system settings in control panel and go to the Advanced tab. In there, disable the "reboot on failure" setting. That should halt the system on a critical error screen instead of rebooting and making you wonder what just happened.

Haha, I don't think he'll even be able to get up to that point from the way he describes his problem.

This is one of the symptoms of a bad driver. The most recent one installed was the CD/DVD Drive emulation driver that is Deamon Tools.

Uninstall (from safe mode) that adware-laden piece of crap (WhenU = adware) and your problems should be fixed. Spybot blocked it for a good reason. Unless you want popups....

Always be suspicious of free (as in beer) software. Minefield for adware and spyware.

Only recently have they started embedding spyware/adware in daemon tools. Just remember to uncheck the option of "daemon tools search bar" when installing the program next time. Alocohol 120% is another very good program if you are wary of using daemon tools any more.

Actually, the issue may not have been Daemon Tools. I thought that program had screwed up my PC once too, only to find out after doing a destructive restore (pre-made PC here), that my PC had the same problem again six months later... without having Daemon Tools installed.

agp440.sys

Right there, is the driver that was giving me a serious issue. It's a driver (video?) that from time to time, simply craps out during the boot up sequence, and results in a similar issue when trying to boot up your PC.

Suzu, try starting in Safe Mode, and see if your PC hangs on the agp440.sys driver as it's booting up. If it does, try this...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

It may help.