OCR04437 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Green Glade Groove"

Liontamer

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04437 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Green Glade Groove"

What an arrangement by @TSori & co.!

Heard this source so many times, but I confess that I've always felt that, while immensely popular, there were still some untapped arrangement possibilities & new gold to be mined, and that's exactly what they've done. Opening electric bass just has that grease, that visceral presence.... reminds me of Queen biting the dust, etc., trumpet is always great (I might have played with the reverb and dialed it down for different sections), marimba is a happy surprise, and basically everything else gels... except the drums. I always listen to a piece before reading judge comments, as much as possible, to avoid biasing my own thoughts, but I was relieved that they all picked up on some of the same timing issues I did, and the synthetic nature of the snare. The groove is SO GOOD that it withstands these weaknesses, but some of the fills are outside the pocket in a way that almost sounds quantized to the wrong subdivision, which when paired with an already synthetic snare, makes it sound like a really, really, really good funk band is for some reason playing along with a drum machine that's not quite aligned. I think a more acoustic snare with more timbral variation, a BPM bump of 1 or 2, and a tightening/realignment of the feel for most of the fills would have served this production well, but as stated it's so damn creative & good that these problems aren't deal-breakers. This source absolutely needed to be arranged/inspired in this fashion, and the result is smooth, funky gold!

Where's the jamspace boys?  Tsori says, "It's gonna be in the forest at the Green Glade"

There's so much to like here.  The groove while simple is very infectious.  Trumpet is pristine and so elegant.  You really nailed the Herb Alpert feel here.  I'm glad you tightened up the track after the initial sub, the improvements make it flow nicely and don't distract from enjoyment.

Such a fun arrangement, and I can't stop looping this!

Haha, love this! Such a creative direction to take this tune, one I never would have thought of in a million years.

My only real complaint is that the bass feels much too quiet. It needs more volume or more low end or both. Percussion probably could have been brought down slightly as well.

But these are minor complaints, and the mix as a whole is loads of fun!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...