OCR04451 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds "Potion"

Chimpazilla

(vocal level raised slightly as requested)

Remixers:  Chimpazilla and ad.mixx
Game:  Legend of Zelda:  A Link Between Worlds
Source:  Witch's House
ReMix title:  "Potion"

Potion lyrics

Potion source use

Chimpazilla comments:  (Shameless Self-Panel™ here)
I adore the game "A Link Between Worlds" and I have played through it multiple times.  I really love the Witch's House theme because it is simple yet haunting.  I wrote this beat, keeping it on the simple side, with the intention of having someone rap or sing on it.  The person I initially sent it to pulled out due to life circumstances, so the beat gathered dust for two years.  Aaron and I had begun working together so I sent it to him, and he loved it.  The lyrics he wrote for it are just right; he wrote about struggling with addiction which is appropriate considering the "potion" theme.  I think Aaron has an amazing voice, and his ability to write both lyrics and unique melodies impresses me more with each song we work on.  Aaron is also a fabulous producer, and he is a joy to work with.  Expect more collabs from us!

ad.mixx comments:
This song was particularly fun to do. When Chimpazilla sent me the beat, I was a little intimidated because I typically don't work a lot with straight hip hop beats. I'm more of a pop-centric singer, and it took a while to get anything written for it at first.

However after working on it for a bit and getting that first chorus down, the mental block opened up, and I think I ended up writing some of my best stuff both melodically and lyrically. 

Kris has an amazing ear for production and song structure, and it was almost relaxing letting her take over on that front, so I could focus more intently on vocal performance and production. She creates some absolutely killer beats, and the instrumentation really vibed well with the vocals in the end.

I want to do more collabs with her, as I think this may be the best thing I've collabed on. I really hope y'all enjoy the final product as much as I do. Expect more.

A repetitive 20-second source, huh?  Very curious what could come out of this....

...Well, I would have expected that if I'd read the description first! As it was, a pleasant surprise (other than the explicit lyrics, but 🤷‍♂️). The groove is super repetitive, but for the genre, that's to be expected, and at least the lyrics aren't repeated too much. The last minute or so drags more than I'd really like, but it's not that bad on a single listen, especially if you focus on the lyrics. The vocoded lyrics are a bit hard to understand.

Otherwise, production is of course fine, and the source usage is ever-present (perhaps to a fault). It's almost cheating to call this a ReMix; it definitely counts, but choosing a minimalistic source to use as a base and then just doing whatever on top of it feels sort of against the spirit to me.  Still, there's nothing objectively against our standards about it, and the quality is well above our bar.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/05/08 - (1Y) Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds "Potion"

Was a little worried at the exactness of source usage in the beginning but then I entered a middle eastern club at 0:25

The singing is produced really well, these beats are hot as the desert sun, and the source usage is inventive and snappy. This is great stuff. This could have been a direct post in my opinion. If I were to offer the pickiest of nits, I'd say maybe that the lyrics could have come out just a touch, particularly the male. I occasionally lost diction because it was buried in the mix, but stylistically this fits. I feel like there was a story being told in the lyrics that I wasnt' able to quite grasp, and I would have liked to hear it a bit more. 

YES

• XPRTNovice changed the title to 2023/05/08 - (2Y) Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds "Potion"

Nice variations of the intrumentation of the theme, because, yeah, it initially sounds so close to the original that I wanted to know if it was sampled; it's thankfully a non-issue as far as our arrangement standards go. Sometimes I wanted the lyrics to cut through, but everything's well mixed. Cool atmosphere; you could definitely see this getting used for some TikToks and YouTube Shorts to do some Zelda clips videos with an edge. :-)

YES 

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/08 - (3Y) Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds "Potion"

it's a neat beat and the beat especially is super well produced. there's some variation in the background beats overall - the chippy synths at 1:51 are great - and the the variety of vocal leads is nice. the vocals aren't near loud enough for me to actually understand them without the lyrics sheet. the track constantly feels like it's waiting for a big chorus, but that's a stylistic thing and not necessarily bad.

this is a fun listen, even if the lyrics are too low.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/05/08 - *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds "Potion"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04451 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds "Potion"
  • prophetik music locked this topic