OC ReMix presents Final Fantasy VIII: SeeDs of Pandora!

Liontamer

cover.jpg

OC ReMix Presents Final Fantasy VIII: SeeDs of Pandora!

May 8, 2023

FAIRFAX, VA... OverClocked ReMix today released its 78th arrangement album, Final Fantasy VIII: SeeDs of Pandora. The album pays tribute to Final Fantasy VIII, released by Square in 1999 for the Sony PlayStation. Featuring 80 tracks from 97 artists, SeeDs of Pandora is the OC ReMix community's largest-ever album, directed by OC ReMixers Darkflamewolf and Jorrith "Jorito" Schaap, and is available for free download at https://ff8.ocremix.org.

SeeDs of Pandora includes a diverse roster of musicians honoring composer Nobuo Uematsu's classic second score from the Final Fantasy PS1 lineup -- boasting some of the series' most enduring themes, including "Eyes on Me" and "Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec" -- by arranging the soundtrack in a myriad of styles, including folk, rock, jazz, mariachi, pop, bebop, rap, metal, EDM, chiptune, new age, experimental, and loads more. SeeDs of Pandora was made by fans, for fans, and is not affiliated with or endorsed by Square Enix; all original compositions are copyright their respective owners.

Our goal is to provide something new and transformative with these songs", declared album director Darkflamewolf, who previously directed OCR's tributes to Skies of Arcadia (Arcadia Legends) and Jet Force Gemini (Mizar Attacks!) before helming SeeDs of Pandora. "So go in with an open mind and know that this listening experience was carefully crafted to take you on a journey".

Visual artists from Game-Art-HQ once again teamed up with OCR -- a collaboration first forged with the Final Fantasy IX: Worlds Apart album -- to provide full album artwork, including pieces for SeeDs of Pandora's five discs featuring FF8 locations as well as character art including Squall, Rinoa, Zell, Seifer, Laguna, and more.

"We managed to interest a lot of people from the VGM community, with a good mix of OC ReMix veterans, people from other communities, and newcomers", explained album co-director Jorrith Schaap, instrumental in helping SeeDs of Pandora become OC ReMix's biggest community album collaboration, resulting in 5 1/2 hours of music. "I hope all the fun and joy we had while creating this album for you shines through, and that you, dear listener, enjoy this fresh new take on the music of Final Fantasy 8 as much as we enjoyed making it."

SeeDs of Pandora completes OC ReMix's tributes to the mainline Final Fantasy series' Sony PlayStation entries, following 2007's Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream and 2015's Final Fantasy IX: Worlds Apart. "Coming back to the series after being gone from it for so long was like coming home", director Darkflamewolf added, along with their hope that SeeDs of Pandora may "rekindle your fond memories of your time playing Final Fantasy VIII".

About OverClocked ReMix

Founded in 1999, OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of video game music as an art form. Its primary focus is ocremix.org, a website featuring thousands of free fan arrangements, information on game music and composers, resources for aspiring artists, and a thriving community of video game music fans.

About Game-Art-HQ

Founded in 2011, Game-Art-HQ is an artistic community featuring fan-created drawings, as well as cosplay photography, sculptures, and crafts inspired by video games. Influenced by the quality standards and community of OverClocked ReMix, Game-Art-HQ houses individual pieces alongside themed collaborative art projects tributing major video game franchises.

###

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, DarkeSword said:

Of course they’re not the same. They’re arrangements!

"Remix Album"...should it be called that, then? Not trying to sass, I'm just really baffled as to why it's an FF8 "remix album" but sounds little like FF8 (to me).

Edited by Odin Vex
Clarification.

Just now, H36T said:

Hey everyone is allowed to have their opinion. Maybe you are more a fan of conservative arrangements or even more classical approaches? Some of the tracks are definitely on the deeper end of the creative spectrum lol. 

Maybe, I think I prefer older remixes that more or less keep to the notes and simply embellish, similar perhaps to a lot of remixes of Assemblage 23 (remixes that eventually made it into albums) as an example. These are certainly creative, I think I feel they're enough removed from the original pieces that they're...different, only way to word it, I think. Still, good job to all that worked on this. :)