PRC466 - Advanced Remix Contest (Advance Wars Dual Strike)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 466
PRCv20-07

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

PRC464 was for APZX, leaving TheVideoGamer behind with the wooden spoon. The source is picked for PRC466

This round is located at:

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC466

On 5/18/2023 at 7:48 PM, APZX said:

I don't have a source in the traditional sense. Instead, I'd rather leave it a bit more open ended and go for any track in Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Most of the tracks are rather short. Hopefully, this is not an issue. Also, only Advance Wars has anything on OCR and I was unable to locate anything in PRC library either. But they fit the game really well. Unfortunately, there are not readily available MIDIs for each track. However, VGMusic does have the following:

Andy's Theme, Black Hole CO Power, Courage, Drake's Theme, Jake's Theme, Javier's Theme, Kindle's Theme, Sasha's Theme, Tag Power, Von Bolt's Theme, and the Yellow Comet Theme.

The entire OST can be listened to on YouTube. Great turn based strategy game. Unfortunately, the Tag CO Power completely broke the game.

Cheers,

-APZX

Source: Advance Wars: Dual Strike (NDS) - [Entire OST]

Midi list from different sources:

Andy's Theme, Black Hole CO Power, Courage, Drake's Theme, Jake's Theme, Javier's Theme, Kindle's Theme, Sasha's Theme, Tag Power, Von Bolt's Theme, and the Yellow Comet Theme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Wars:_Dual_Strike

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC466

The deadline is Monday June 5th 2023 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the link https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC466 for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread.

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC468.

Everyone can enter. No votes are doubled or making a different in a case of a tie.

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC Home Page

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has 3 songs and one bonus by APZX. The following people compete against each other:

JH Sounds

The Orchicalcon

TheVideoGamer

To vote, do the following:

Visit https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC466 and listen to all the entries

Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

Fill in the entries from first to third in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 3.

State a reasoning for it.

Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. They get a 3 point bonus, but they are not allowed to vote for their own track. They should leave the third box empty or fill in APZX's song.

Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results.

You have until Monday June 12th 2023 10:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote. 
If you vote by PM make sure that your top 3 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ## Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

3: (remixer C )

(reasoning)

Edited by Bundeslang

It's results time

APZX posted a bonus song.

JH Sounds gets 5 points and the last place wooden spoon.

TheVideoGamer got 7 points and wins second place.

And the winner of PRC466 is The Orchicalcon with 8 points.

(without the double vote if would have been a tie, meaning that this vote makes the difference).

The Orchicalcon, you are the winner. You may pick a source for PRC468. Send the new source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source before next Monday 18 June 2023), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game. From now on, it can also be a source with one or more OverClocked remix(es) or a source which has been used in PRC before. Only sources which are used in PRC season 19 (PRC439 or more recent) are not allowed. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I will update this list soon):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

A list is also available at https://compo.thasauce.net/compos/view/PRC

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC466 for the votes and comments.

PRC467 already started:

Edited by Bundeslang

• 4 weeks later...

I said i was gonna provide some thought's, so i need to follow up on my promise.

TheOrichalcon - I am reminded of Kurt Harland's score for the 2nd X-Men game for the Sega Genesis. A really gritty dirty electro styled number but with a more acoustic kit. Lots of killer sound design here, that darts back and forth between dubstep sounds and oldschool synth work. It's very cool and catchy. Nothing to critique really, well done!

JH Sounds - There's that JH sound i know and love. He is known for being a ThaSauce member more than a OCR member. Lovely melody here, it's quite adventurous sounding. The melody can get a little repetitive after a while, i would maybe opt for a texture change or something, but it was a lot of fun, and quite enjoyable to listen to. Well done!

APZX - Very spooky sounds, but in the context of a quite harsh electronic synthwave kind of feel. It's got a really nice eurobeat kind of synth melody, and a very tight kick. Lots of lovely and amazing developments for it's 3 minute runtime. Lovely new melodic ideas and changes throughout. I don't know if it's perhaps a little too compressed, i had to relisten to make sure. Maybe it's the way it was sidechained, i'm not sure. However the arrangement was on point, this was a lovely enjoyable listen. Well done!

Gotta keep on top of voting i'm so behind lol.

17 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

APZX - Very spooky sounds, but in the context of a quite harsh electronic synthwave kind of feel. It's got a really nice eurobeat kind of synth melody, and a very tight kick. Lots of lovely and amazing developments for it's 3 minute runtime. Lovely new melodic ideas and changes throughout. I don't know if it's perhaps a little too compressed, i had to relisten to make sure. Maybe it's the way it was sidechained, i'm not sure. However the arrangement was on point, this was a lovely enjoyable listen. Well done!

Oh 100% it is over compressed. That was kind of what I was going for though. The original composition has a constant like low brass stab that I used as inspiration for the kick, and in fact the kick is not a normal kick. The sample is called a box drum but it has such a nice transient. But the real idea behind the entire thing was to kind of go against Von Bolt's character traits. He is shall we say very traditional, and I thought it would be kind of fun to take his theme and compose it in a manner that was antithetical to his character but also had a level of superiority to it because he thinks (at least) that he is better than everyone else. Something along the lines, "Back in my day we'd _____." or "Get of my lawn you young whippersnapper!"

But yeah as I was mixing this, I just started to turn everything up an extra notch, and when it wasn't gelling. I just kind of you know turned the threshold down and ratio up on my compressor and pressed a button that lifts the highs in the sidechain to compress those more. If I recall at times the compressor was pushing like -9 or -11dB. So, yeah you're not wrong that it is over compressed. But it is intentionally just a pinch above like most everything about it. I tried not to nuke it, but it is very much pushed rather hard.