OCR01543 - Parasite Eve "PMS"

djpretzel

Wow, serious love for the Bad Dudes EP today. Thanks to djp and the judges!

I agree with BGC on the compression. I didn't realize it until I was listening to the compilation in my truck - the overcompression really crackles at those loud points. I came home and called Kunal - he seemed to not realize it was there.

Either way, this is a rad track. Not really what I expected from Kunal, but totally appropriate for the EP.

Watch for another EP from the Bad Dudes soon...

Yet another one of those days where I shout "YES!" on checking the OCR main page that my brother has to say "what the hell is wrong with you?" This is the sort of stuff I really liked here before I OD'd on shna =) It's fantastic. I especially love the way the piano intro basically fakes out the rest of the track, though some crackling and stuff hurts a bit.

edit: the reason for my excitement being of course that Lord Blazer will always be totally fucking awesome.

Man, crazy song. Really like the energy you were able to put into it. Real fat bass too, got real good stereo to it. I dunno how you were able to control all the chaos in this song, but it came out damn well.

Oh yeah, I wish you could tone down the crackly "old record" sound, man it sounds JUST LIKE AN OLD RECORD. OMG. lmfao, jk, I'm just pullin ur leg Liontamer. =P

Wow, serious love for the Bad Dudes EP today. Thanks to djp and the judges!

I agree with BGC on the compression. I didn't realize it until I was listening to the compilation in my truck - the overcompression really crackles at those loud points. I came home and called Kunal - he seemed to not realize it was there.

Either way, this is a rad track. Not really what I expected from Kunal, but totally appropriate for the EP.

Watch for another EP from the Bad Dudes soon...

wow you're brave enough to play OC music in your vehicle too? I salute you. I find it hard to keep a straight face tho if its a classical/symphonic track when ppl are staring at me queerly...

but meh. And yes this EP remix is incredibly well done.

It's not a matter of being brave. I drive around listening to original NES stuff all the time. Today I was listening to Busta Rhymes, The Strange Fruit Project, and the Super Dodge Ball Original Soundtrack.

Don't let people look at you weird. Have confidence.

About the track, the more I listen to it, the more I like it. But the more I wish Kunal hadn't of gone with the lo-fi record route. Maybe a release down the road?

Watch for another EP from the Bad Dudes sometime soon. www.OneUpStudios.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Great arrangement here, though I'm not familiar with the source. I love the blend of orchestral and electronic elements. Nice beat work and great breakdown at 1:48 with the piano.

My only (minor) complaints, which have already been voiced, are the production issues with the distortion on the hits - due to the over compression. I think the levels also could've been brought together better to have the more electronic portions brought further forward in the mix (actually, this may also be due to compression issue). I'm listening to this on my mixing headphones, which probably makes this stuff more obvious than usual.

Anyway, those small issues aren't enough to keep it off my playlist. Well done.

• 2 months later...

Ahh, I love that bass. Slithery, bouncy, nicely distorted.

Don't like those choppy solo strings. You can hear the volume drop out as if into vacuum when a new note starts playing with that too-long attack.. Gneh. Also, the static at the start doesn't really sound super-good to me, sounds kinda digital to me instead of warm vinyl popping. The broken compression has been mentioned, quite uggly ripples there..

Overall, a pretty good cinematique track. Doesn't manage to profoundly grab me, though. Love the bass, still.

--Eino

• 5 months later...

Pretty hot stuff, beats and orchestra are a huge win stylistically, in my opinion.

I was always underwhelmed with the OST of Parasite eve, but this makes it much better, and have a lot stronger flavor than the almost generic-sounding original. Great orchestra and piano. The piano was really nice, especially in the solo section where it has some beautiful runs. Even the brass was good.

I can respect the record player static, though I think it could have been brought down a bit and still remained effective to what you were trying to achieve without becoming distracting. It works very well for the bre

Overall a great piece, but can you really expect anything less from ktriton?

• 10 months later...

The arrangement's bold dynamics promise a surprise around every corner, through every transition, and in every section. First, the piano starts as fragile as a flower, soon growling a grudge, meandering in a state of uncertainty, and then going "!" before the strings rain down like evil minions. It only gets more chaotic from there.

Some of the synths act like Eve's bastard children: slimy, stretchy, bubbly, mutating... and badass by extension. The declarative brass swells leading Influence of the Deep seem to hand the reins to more than one instrument in order to balance the load. Speaking of which, the strings and piano are made for each other, playing off the other's parts for maximum intimacy. All the while, emotions ride the semi-climactic builds and crashes, and impromptu percussive quips transfer/transform the energy of the mix more wildly and proficiently than mitochondria ever could.

Twice more does the piano dominate. At the halfway point, it's subdued but purposefully contemplative. In the end, it's like a forgone/indecisive conclusion that invites the listener's input.

PMS discombobulates, but in a good way.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01543 - Parasite Eve "PMS"