m68030

Tetris (GB) 'McVaffe Quasi Ultimix'

Deceptivly starting with a slightly augmented original sample sounding

lead line of this classic theme, this remix very quickly reminds you that

McVaffe doesn't pull any punches. Swirly stabby synths lead up a filling

middle that pauses for a moment to build up to piano interlude. Finishing

in again in the original NES sounding lead this mix is fun, but a little

quirky.

I don't know a finer Tetris remix. Many have tried their hands, and Lord knows a number of fine reproductions have come out, but McVaffe just pulls some crazy shit on this one. McVaffe has a heck of a reputation for manipulating games' original SFX (see the Castlevania sound mix on VGMix.com), and it really shines hear. The SFX-break at 1:30 is an instant classic! The song makes it's way back with a great piano segue, and then it all comes down. Yay!

• 3 weeks later...

From trance to classsical to sound fx, this remix has got it all. The ultimate in tetris remix, hands down. For years the Tetris themes have been stuck in my head just waiting for this song to finally put them to rest knowing that they have been fulfilled.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Irresistable. A good, if somewhat elementary, intro leads into a straight-out awesome sfx section. Then it's piano time. Mmm. I could listen to this track all day. That's saying a lot; I must've listened to this theme for about a million hours by now. Another great track from McVaffe.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone knew this, or if they ever bothered to check it out, but the Gameboy Version of Tetris actually has something somewhat secretive to it's music. If you pause the game while the music plays and unpause it, the baseline for the music seems to increase or alter itself. Just something I found a long time ago that I'd share.

• 5 months later...
I don't know if anyone knew this, or if they ever bothered to check it out, but the Gameboy Version of Tetris actually has something somewhat secretive to it's music. If you pause the game while the music plays and unpause it, the baseline for the music seems to increase or alter itself. Just something I found a long time ago that I'd share.

Whoa...it's interesting how it happens that way. It's either a glitch, or something that was intentional...I think it's a glitch.

Okay, anybody know the name of the Bach piece that is apparently what Song C is based off of? I can't seem to identify it.

So back on topic. I really like the game sound effects that you add here. I like how it goes from the original tune and eventually adds that amazing Russian beat. An awesome salute to the original. Good work.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

OMG8O That is the tetris theme song I know and love! It is a little altered but it even had the gameboy noise when you turn it on and the sound when you lose on it too. Brings back the greatest memories of those long car rides and I had for entertainment was my gameboy and a few games (one of which was tetris of couse)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok, so, after talking to Willrock about how McVaffe turned out to be using several remixer names, he found this for me. It's pretty funny how the writeup still says this was made by 2 people (according to Willrock it's the first collab in OCR's history, and it turns out to be made by only one guy. Bummer), while searching for one of them yields no hits in the database. Maybe that's why DJP seems to prefer referring to remixers in writeups using their real names nowadays...

• 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00155 - Tetris (GB) "McVaffe Quasi Ultimix"