The 275 million dollar man

Deathtank

What's I'm more interested in is how the hell did the MLS afford $275 million. As far as I know football (soccer) in the US is pretty stagnant and lacks the sponsorship of the European leagues.

Reportedly it's actually $250,000,000, over five years, and most of it is loaded into endorsements.

The MLS has a salary cap in concert with other mid-major sports leagues, though, capping at around $2,000,000. That means that Beckham's actual pay day is going to be significanlty less than whatever endorsements, signing bonus, etc. Plus the MLS is probably waiving a lot of its own rules in order to just get the man.

I don't care yet though...they took our team away from us and put it in fucking Texas.

It sickens me how much money athletes and even movies stars make a year. I still support most teams but that much money on the list to Beck is ridiculous

They have a unique talent no one else can perform. The better they are at it, the more unique they are, therefore, they can get more cash.

They have a unique talent no one else can perform. The better they are at it, the more unique they are, therefore, they can get more cash.

Being a movie star is a unique talent? I think not. There are also many people out there who could survive in the athlete world who chose not to go that route. Many of those who pursue it certainly don't deserve the cash as much as people in academia or even businesses.

Being a movie star is a unique talent? I think not. There are also many people out there who could survive in the athlete world who chose not to go that route. Many of those who pursue it certainly don't deserve the cash as much as people in academia or even businesses.

If it's their looks, their playing skill, their natural charisma or even social skills, these people get this much money for a reason. If it weren't a talent, everyone would have this sort of cash, or at least more people would be successful.

Oh noes, the world isn't fair after all!? Of course some people who don't deserve it get more money than they should whole others who are more deserving don't.

Anyway, it isn't always their "unique talents" in their sport or in acting/directing that dictate how much money they earn; it's often times their star power. Just by having their name in the production, how much more money will the film stand to make? You could never convince me Stalone has any acting prowess whatsoever, but does that have an effect on what Rocky Balboa grosses? No. Stalone is in it so it WILL make money. Seems to me the MLS has a lot to gain by bringing in a big name like Beckham, so it's really no wonder they're willing to throw so much money at him.