OCR00156 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Dark World Jazz"

m68030

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Dark World Jazz'

Oh yes. This is great. The trumpet lead is a little too mechanical sounding,

but the brushed snares and loose piano give so much underlying

atmosphere that I'll forgive it. Gux covers the Dark World theme

quite well, throwing a spin on it I wouldn't have expected. The improvish

piano solo is a great interjection into this nice little track. Very cool.

I have to agree whole-hearedly with pollard on this. I fell in love with the track for a few days long ago. Most of the instruments lack the "human" touch, but that shouldn't be a problem for people who love listening to NES bleeps-and-bloops. The piano does a more-than-decent job of making up for it anyways.

Props for the interpretation; jazz and Zelda are an unexpected duo, yet not entirely unfitting.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is one of the first, if not the first, remix I listened to. Zelda 3 is one of my favorite games and the Darkworld theme is my favorite tune from the game, so naturally I downloaded first. My preferences aside, when I first listened to it, I was just blown away by the quality of everything in this mix. Although it's nothing really fancy notewise, the instruments, the rythym, and how it was put together all makes complete sense, and most of all, sound good together. A definite must to download, esp. if you really love Zelda 3 like I do.

• 2 weeks later...

For an electric horn, it sounds pretty damn good. I like. :)

There's only a few parts where it even sounds electric. The only way I could really tell is that there weren't enough pauses for breathing if someone were to actually play.

Everything else is awesome too. I like how it sticks with the original melody without throwing in a ton of different stuff. Simplistic in a very good way. :D

• 2 months later...

nice track but i think maybe dj p should change the review so it doesn't say that the trumpet is real. it took me a while to realize after i was listening to it that he meant the electric one... but then again I happen to listen to alot of jazz so i guess i grade those on a harder scale. but other than the review bolstering false hopes, which wasn't even the remixer's fault i'd have to say this is one of the better jazz remixes on the site.

This is a favorite of mine, mainly because it combines one of my favorite themes from Zelda 3 with jazz, one of my favorite types of music. Not really fancy when it comes to notes, but the rythym is wonderful, and it stayed true to the original very well while adding new material. The instruments aren't real, but at times, they almost sound like they are. Got to love the piano solo. An excellent ReMix, this gets my recommendation. Just download it now if you haven't already.

• 4 months later...

This track is just too sweet. I never really payed much attention to this theme in the game (which, by the way, is fantastic) but after this remix, I'm sure I will. The trumpet sound is just fantastic, fake or not. The piano is also nearly perfect. And the best of all, the rhythm of the trumpet: It just gives the track a very laid-back, cool and easy feeling, and that feeling remains in the track from the start to the end. Fantastic.

• 6 months later...

this piece is an orgasm. such an incredibly cool twist on this song. fake, not, WHO THE HELL CARES?? it sounds AWESOME. the bebop-ish cello in the back, and the piano folowing the trumpet (and later the highlighted piano solo, veeeery laidback) sound KOOL. the plates giving the beat and all the laid-backness of the song makes it absolutely enjoyable, you just cant denny the beauty of this song. incredible rearange, and one of the coolest covers that you will find in OCRemix. a site classic, and top 3 zelda 3 remixes. this song rules -period. GET IT NOW. and if you have it and are reading this, queue it on winamp and just, enjoooooooyyyy!

Cano.

beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

what a great jazz tune to listen to while driving or simply while at home working on chores. i have always been a lover of the darkworld theme song in zelda3.

i have been a trumpet player for about 7 years. the trumpet actually sounds very good in my opinion. a great job done on picking and fitting the correct notes for the swing style to this song. Around 1minute and 8seconds is my favorite part of the swing. I would prefer some gliss but none is alright. i would also prefer a bit more improvising of the trumpet; the song seems to end too quickly for a jazz song. but for what it has right now, it's great and i listen to it a lot.

This ReMix sounds really awesome, but it's even better live. I transcribed this for my jazz band (which, incidentally, I lead and write music for, and I have the exact instrumentation to make this piece work, including a string bass!). Props to Gux!

Well, to tell you the truth, it wasn't exactly what i had hoped for. It probably means more to you LOZ fans who've played this game. The jazz beat was pretty nice though, but i have to admit, i like SuperBuckJazz better. That's only probably because it had a faster beat to it. Good job on the trumpet synth though, others figured it out, but i never would have guessed. I did like the piano countermelody in the back too, and i think it gave that "dark" feeling it was supposed to. Nice job! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very cool. I love listening to this one.. I listen to it all the time. It's definitely one of the best jazz remixes I've heard, even if the jazz trumpet sounds a little cheesy. Just a little bit, not much. The notes are simple and it would be nice to hear maybe a harmony part. The problems I mentioned aren't really that big. You probably won't even care when you listen to it. Overall it's a great remix of a great song in Zelda 3. I'd give it a 9.6/10.

Sounds relaxing to hear if you're at a restaurant with your girlfriend and eating her ,with red cozy candles lit and assorted dancers doing some stupid dance moves on the stage ..you'd feel like a king!

:roll:

Anyhoo, I enjoyed this piece. The original theme is recognizable, and the new material is integrated seamlessly. The trumpet may be fake, yet it is used in a plausible manner (barring the lack of breaks between notes.) Compared to some of the other Zelda jazz remixes on this site, this one is less experimental and more accessible than some of the others (which is not a knock against those other remixes at all.)

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I can't believe how well this has been done!

Are these instruments REAL??? If they're not, they sure as hell sound like it...

LOVE the keyboard work, and the adaptation of the original style of the piece from a simple to compound meter. AWESOME base work, as well as the lead mute trumpet. Percussion's also awesome.

On the whole, this is one of the best Jazz arrangements for a videogame piece I've heard so for on this site.

PLAY ON!!!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00156 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Dark World Jazz"