Guide to weird forum abbreviations!

Shadow Wolf

Hey everybody! I've been around OCR for 6 years, lurking like a shadow in the closet. One thing that really confused me when I started coming here was all the abbreviations people would post, and I often ended up going to Wikipedia to find out what the heck someone was saying. So I decided to make a post with a list of abbreviations commonly used on these forums, so you can find out what they mean. I'll start with just a few to get things moving, then add them as I find them.

I've also decided to add links to information regarding the history of OC Remix. For example, if you hang around long enough, you'll hear people talking about the 350 dollar hat thread, the sidebar war, and bad tuna. The Coop, one of our most active forum members, keeps up an awesome site called OCR quirks that explains most if not all of this stuff, so make sure to check it out. (Here's the Link.)

PLEASE NOTE: I'd love help from the forum members! If you have something you think should be added to the list, PM me and I'll tack it on, just so we can keep all the interesting stuff in the first post.

MODS: if you find this useful enough to make it a sticky, go right ahead. We'll see how it goes.

OC Remix Specific Abbreviations and their usage

1. OCR (OC ReMix)

What we usually call the site.

2. DJP (DJ Pretzel)

The username of our master and commander David Lloyd. It is said that this man once ate two 40 ounce steaks in an hour. He spent the first 45 minutes having sex with his waitress.

DJP is also a verb around here. DJP'ing is bobbing your head forward and back. For further info, see the Coop's page on the subject at OCR Quirks.

3. Nice Work & Nice Work Guy

Used to let someone know they just did something awesome, almost always used with an image of the 'Nice Work Guy.' For more info on this handsome fellow, see the Coop's page at OCR quirks.

4. ComDisc

The Community Forum. We decided Comm was a shitty name and we didn't wanna be called Commies, so we came up with this.

5. GenDisc

The old name for the Community Forum.

6. PPR

The politics, philosophy and religion forum. Beware of trolls.

7. UnMod

The unmoderated forum. It doesn't exist anymore, but by God people still talk about it.

8. OffTop

The Off Topic forum. It doesn't exist yet at the time of this writing, but the abbreviation has already been invented.

9. NWG (Nice Work Guy)

An abbreviation for our resident smiling Mexicindian guy. What ethnicity is he anyways? I'm sure I don't know.

10. RTS (Remix:ThaSauce)

Originally started as an April Fool's joke, this actually became a legitimate remix site.

11. RKO (Remix.Kwed.Org)

A remix site dedicated specifically to Commodore 64 remixes.

12. OLR (OverLooked ReMix)

A site dedicated to deliberately bad mixes that have no chance of making it past DJP or the judges panel.

13. CMC (Conceptual Music Competition)

Copied from the topic: The CMC (Conceptual Music Competition) is designed so that each participant enters a piece of music based on a set theme. The participants take the theme and interpret it as they will to come up with something that fits. Any style can work, as long as it portrays a sense of what the theme is.

14. PRC(People's ReMix Competition)

Everyone has one week to remix a specific song from a specific game, with no limitations on style or production. The song for the week is chosen by the previous week's winner. Runs every week.

15.ORC (Original ReMix Competition)

Everyone has one week to remix an original made by the winner of the pervious week's ORC, with no limitations on style or production. Runs every week.

16. FLMC (Fruity Loops Mix Competition)

A Remix competition where each participant remixes either a specific song or a song from a specific game using only the default sounds that come with FruityLoops. FruityLoops is a music creation program.

17. VOCR (Vocal Remixing Competition)

A new mixing competition where each participant submits a mix with vocals. Where the songs come from is relatively unestablished at this point. More to come later.

18. OCRM (OC Removed)

A site that host remixes that were removed from OC Remix for one reason or another.

Common Forum Abbreviations and Their Usage

1. QFE (Quoted for Emphasis)

This is usually used in conjunction with a quote of someone else's post, and used to imply agreement with whatever that person said. Basically, it means 'I couldn't have said it better myself.'

2. FTW (For the Win)

Usually used in a sentence with something else, such as an image or a user, i.e. 'Pixietricks FTW!' Another way of saying good job, that was funny, etc.

3. FTL (For the Lose)

The opposite of the above. Usually used in a sentence with something else, such as an image or a user, i.e. 'Pixietricks FTL!' Another way of saying that was awful, etc.

4. NSFW (Not Safe for Work)

Almost always used in the title of a thread to let people know that it contains something that could get you fired and/or go against corporate policy. Probably won't be seen as much anymore with unMod gone, but watch out for it.

5. AFK (Away from Keyboard)

Used often when someone has been tracking a live thread closely and then needs to leave for awhile. In other words it's a way of letting people know you're dropping out of a conversation for awhile.

6. BUMP (Bring Up My Post?)

Not really an acronym, but seen often. Bumps are used to keep a thread at the top of a forum page, because each response moves the thread title to the top of the page. So it's called 'bumping' a thread, and basically used to keep the thread in the public eye. EDIT: I have been informed that bump is also an acronym for 'Bring up my post.' I'm not sure how accurate that is, but if you choose to believe it I doubt it will have a strong effect on the rest of your life.

7. Troll

Again, not an acronym, but a term used for someone who deliberately posts messages to get angry responses out of people. You'll often see them posting on subjects of ethics with insanely twisted views, i.e. 'So what? He ate a little girl's brain. He was hungry. I would too.' The term comes from fishing, where you 'troll' for fish by dragging bait through the water.

8. YHBT (You Have Been Trolled)

Used to let someone know they've just bought into an obvious troll post by becoming angry and responding to it.

9. IBTL (In Before the Lock)

Actually not used very often on the OC Remix boards. People prefer to actually type it out here for some reason. IBTL is basically a game forum users play where they attempt to respond to a post they know will be locked by a moderator for one reason or another. Also a way of letting a forum user know they've broken the rules in one way or another.

10. GTFO (Get the F*** Out)

Used to let somebody know they've probably posted something entirely unnecessary and/or unwanted in a thread.

11. OMG (Oh my God)

Does it really need any explanation?

12. OMFG (Oh my F***ing God)

Same as before, but with more... feeling.

11. ZOMG (Zoh My God)

An intentional misspelling of Oh my God, usually used to make fun of people who use OMG and OMFG in their posts. Kind of a way of saying they're a drama king/queen.

12. PM (Private Message)

A messaging system used to communicate with other users without replying to a post. Present on every forum system I'm aware of.

13. AFAIK (As Far as I Know)

Means just that, it's abbreviated when people don't feel like typing it out.

14. TL,DR (Too Long, Didn't Read)

Used when someone's made a massive post, to let them know it needs to be shortened to get the main point across quicker, or that the user simply didn't care to bother reading it.

15. RTFM (Read the F***ing manual)

Used to let someone know the answer to their question can be found in the forum rules\stickies or the manual of whatever they were asking a question about. A term of irritation used to answer obvious, dumb questions.

16. QFT (Quoted for Truth)

Used with a quote, obviously, to let people know what the quote is true. A confirmation.

17. STFU (Shut the F*** Up)

A lazy insult, this is the primary weapon of a flamewar.

18. ITT (In This Thread)

Used when referencing something in the thread, obviously.

19. IIRC (If I Recall Correctly)

Just a way to save some typing time.

20. BBQ (Bitch be Quiet)

A secondary weapon of flamewars. Used more like a grenade than an automatic weapon such as STFU.

21. WTF (What the F***)

This one's so famous you find it printed on coffeemugs and t-shirts.

22. IMHO (In My Humble Opinion)

As mentioned by Pyrion further down, this is a fairly useless prefix to a post, since if you're making a post, we can be fairly certain we're about to get your opinion anyways.

23. TTIUWP (This Thread is Useless Without Pics)

Self-explanatory, but I think this one falls firmly into the realm of "It took me a hell of a lot longer to look the meaning of that abbreviation up on Wikipedia than it would've taken you to type it out in the first place abbreviations."

24. LOL (Laughing Out Loud)

Used when someone said something funny.

25. ROFL (Rolling on Floor Laughing)

Used when someone says something extremely funny.

26. ROFLMAO (Rolling on Floor Laughing My Ass Off)

Used when somebody posts a picture like this:

Pooper.jpg

27. TBH (To be Honest)

Self explanatory.

28. IDD (Indeed)

Why? Just type the word.

29. JEOMK (Just Ejaculated on My Keyboard)

Did you really wanna know? I don't think you did.

30. TMI (Too Much Information)

Usually used right after something like the above is posted.

Uh huh.

AFK = "away from keyboard (but not really)," because if one were really AFK they wouldn't be able to type that. :P

IMHO = "in my humble opinion," albeit everyone that uses IMHO is not being humble. Even IMO is redundant; better to just say what you intend to rather than prefixing the statement with a useless IMO.

TTIUWP = "this thread is useless without pics." Self-explanatory. :)

Correction about the djping - it's more like sliding your head back and forth, like how the Egyptians do it it.

I thought about that one for a few minutes before I wrote it. It kind of depends on the angle of the picture, but as a general rule, if you placed the head in a box, it would go from an upper corner to the opposite lower corner. Like top left to bottom right. So it's really a back and forth up and down combo. It's scary that I thought about it this hard. But anyhow, The Coop has a scary deep page on the subject, so I figured I'd just point people in his direction.