Anyone good with internal dvd burners for WinXP?

RedSand

My in-laws have a 1-year-old Dell. It has two rom drives (DVD read and CD read/write). I recently purchased a Pioneer internal DVD burner for them for Christmas and tried to install it but it won't work right. I took out the CD burner and replaced it with the DVD burner so the computer now has a DVD player and DVD burner. When bot are connected, only the drive in the top slot (the player) will play correctly. The one below it (the burner) will only play audio, but not the video part of the DVD. When I switch them around (burner on top, player on bottom) the burner will play fine but the player will only play audio again, not video. I thought maybe the burner (from Pioneer) was just being picky, so to test out things, I took my DVD burner from my computer, a 5-year-old, generic, Medion with a first generation pentium 4, and put it in the Dell. This burner, an equally generic one that doesn't even have the manufacturer name on the face plate and I'm not at home to look at the documentation, wouldn't even register when the computer booted up no matter what slot I put it in. So I would assume the problem is with the computer, not the kind of burner I put in it. I heard word that Dell builds their computer to only accept Dell parts. Is this true? Do I need to drop some extra cash to get a Dell burner working in this thing?

Also make sure that the PATA channel in the bios is actually turned on, because by default the dell bois is only set up for whats is in the machine when shipped.

QFE. Also, make sure that you don't have both drives set up for cable select and then have the cable reversed. That's a common problem. I work computing support for over 3000 Dell computers at a lab and I can strongly confirm that their computers are faggotry free. It's fairly likely a BIOS setting is off, or the Motherboard might need a firmware update to accept the change.

I work computing support for over 3000 Dell computers at a lab and I can strongly confirm that their computers are faggotry free

Other than, you know... all those other things. This Philips drive I've been using is just flat-out bad, though I'm still not sure why. I have some bizarre trial version of NeroVision that's able to burn video DVDs successfully after a few tries [usually], but nothing else seems to work. There's plenty of Dell support threads that say "get a new drive" but my warranty is up, man!

Also proprietary PSUs [they could've just used BTX but nooo they had to modify the connectors] are just bad news, especially when they go "HURRRRRRRR" when it gets cold. I think the towers aren't too good at ventilation or something.

That "PATA settings in the BIOS" thing is totally new to me though. Maybe I'll try that. If it works I'm going to fucking DIE.

Other than, you know... all those other things. This Philips drive I've been using is just flat-out bad, though I'm still not sure why. I have some bizarre trial version of NeroVision that's able to burn video DVDs successfully after a few tries [usually], but nothing else seems to work. There's plenty of Dell support threads that say "get a new drive" but my warranty is up, man!

Also proprietary PSUs [they could've just used BTX but nooo they had to modify the connectors] are just bad news, especially when they go "HURRRRRRRR" when it gets cold. I think the towers aren't too good at ventilation or something.

That "PATA settings in the BIOS" thing is totally new to me though. Maybe I'll try that. If it works I'm going to fucking DIE.

Dell is horrible about making stuff proprietary and then making it as horrible as possible.